The reasoning is not saving installers creaking backs. It's more about the safety of your house šŸ˜€
I suppose theres several ways to look at this one, if it goes into thermal runaway unlikely but if it did, it could potentially set your roof on fire. So ban them from the roof, now put it in the cupboard under the stairs, it could potentially set you stairs on fire. Which do you think would have the best escape route during the night - burning roof and go downstairs or burning stairs spreading across the upstairs floor, escape by ????????

I suppose theres several ways to look at this one, if it goes into thermal runaway unlikely but if it did, it could potentially set your roof on fire. So ban them from the roof, now put it in the cupboard under the stairs, it could potentially set you stairs on fire. Which do you think would have the best escape route during the night - burning roof and go downstairs or burning stairs spreading across the upstairs floor, escape by ????????
You are liking not thinking about the fact that the battery is essentially out of sight and mind in the attic. The thermal runaway you mention would be much earlier to notice in the ground floor.

Having a tonne of burning li-on battery surprising you with its presence by crashing through the roof into you bedroom is likely not a good time.

For it to work with Octopus intelligent you either need those compatible charges or a compatible car.

The MG ZS EV is not a compatible car, so I would be interested in a link to the work around, as I donā€™t believe it exists.
I have the zs ev long range and Ohme charger by octopus and on 7.5p/ kw from 10:30 to 5:30 . Works a treat with no issues and have travelled 8500 miles for Ā£189 so far just home charging overnight

You are liking not thinking about the fact that the battery is essentially out of sight and mind in the attic. The thermal runaway you mention would be much earlier to notice in the ground floor.
I doubt it would be noticed any sooner tucked away in the cupboard under the stairs.

Having a tonne of burning li-on battery surprising you with its presence by crashing through the roof into you bedroom is likely not a good time.
In my case that wouldnt happen becuase it is built onto a gable end wall, not resting on the rafters. The battery has internal temperature monitoring and shuts down if the thing is starting to run away. The final thing is that it's in the roof of an extension on my house which is a rarely used guest bedroom (it was originally a granny flat).

I have the zs ev long range and Ohme charger by octopus and on 7.5p/ kw from 10:30 to 5:30 . Works a treat with no issues and have travelled 8500 miles for Ā£189 so far just home charging overnight
11:30 pm surely?

Yes - that's because it is a compatible charger - as I was saying. Podpoint is not.

I doubt it would be noticed any sooner tucked away in the cupboard under the stairs.

In my case that wouldnt happen becuase it is built onto a gable end wall, not resting on the rafters. The battery has internal temperature monitoring and shuts down if the thing is starting to run away. The final thing is that it's in the roof of an extension on my house which is a rarely used guest bedroom (it was originally a granny flat).

11:30 pm surely?
You better let the regulators know, then.

Because the proposed regulations disagree with you, and it seems you think you know better on this...
They are currently proposed, which will probably become 'law'.

However, they cannot be retrospective applied to existing installations. Bit like consumer units (fuse boxes) are only metal now, but my plastic one will not be changed / replaced.

Yes, I'm in the same boat, looking for wall chargers.. not yet ready to commit to one particular provider and EV tariff as I might be spending more peak than off peak electricity even with EV charging so need to do some calculations first...

Anyone here that bought their own wall charger and had an electrician install it? Wondering if it's much cheaper that way...
Originally went to Octopus, but was quoted 14 weeks for an install, so got some quotes from local qualified electricians. Went with one about 2 miles away, who came out the next day and went through the cable routing from the house to where I wanted the charger, contacted SSEN about the connection and arranged to have my incoming supply reinforced. I don't know if it was cheaper, but Zappi installed 2 weeks later and working fine.

Originally went to Octopus, but was quoted 14 weeks for an install, so got some quotes from local qualified electricians. Went with one about 2 miles away, who came out the next day and went through the cable routing from the house to where I wanted the charger, contacted SSEN about the connection and arranged to have my incoming supply reinforced. I don't know if it was cheaper, but Zappi installed 2 weeks later and working fine.
How much was the electrician, to give me some idea... Seen a video of installation and apart from the hassle of routing cables, everything seems straight forward - not that I'm planning to do it myself šŸ˜…

I am currently on Octopus Agile and looking at moving to Intelligent go in the winter but wondered which charger works the best with the ZS EV Long range & the intelligent tarrif?

I don't have any charger yet so open to any suggestions
I'm using a Zappi with IOG and it's very successful. It's important to use charger integration when setting it up

How much was the electrician, to give me some idea... Seen a video of installation and apart from the hassle of routing cables, everything seems straight forward - not that I'm planning to do it myself šŸ˜…
The total was just under Ā£1500, but tha also included an additional consumer unit, as there were no free slots, and an outside socket. Cable length about 15m from the fuse box to the charger.

They are currently proposed, which will probably become 'law'.

However, they cannot be retrospective applied to existing installations. Bit like consumer units (fuse boxes) are only metal now, but my plastic one will not be changed / replaced.
Of course.

Because the proposed regulations disagree with you, and it seems you think you know better on this...
I dont claim to know better at all, I'm just stating a concern that I have. I didnt install my system in my loft space MCS contractors did. IF the proposals become regulations it wont be retrospective anyway so I have no need to contact the authorities, do you contact the police every time you exceed the speed limit?

The total was just under Ā£1500, but tha also included an additional consumer unit, as there were no free slots, and an outside socket. Cable length about 15m from the fuse box to the charger.
Wow , prices have gone up , I paid under Ā£1100 for octopus/ Ohme with full installation of consumer unit 15m Cable run and 8m unit to car cable

Wow , prices have gone up , I paid under Ā£1100 for octopus/ Ohme with full installation of consumer unit 15m Cable run and 8m unit to car cable
The deals that I'm looking at all seem to be around Ā£1,000-Ā£1,500 or so including installation and some of them offer 10 months 0% interest repayments... British Gas installation seems to cost Ā£460 when you go for one of their chargers costing about Ā£700 ..

considering I'm not really driving longer distances that often, I'm in no rush; also, need to figure out whether it's cheaper overall to stay on my current tariff or switch to one of EV tariffs

The deals that I'm looking at all seem to be around Ā£1,000-Ā£1,500 or so including installation and some of them offer 10 months 0% interest repayments... British Gas installation seems to cost Ā£460 when you go for one of their chargers costing about Ā£700 ..
BG should be paying you for putting up with their dreadful customer service and poor quality EVSE offerings (Hive). Avoid at all costs, plenty of others around and one of the best being Octopus Intelligent GO, you need a Wallbox, Ohme, or MyEnergi (Zappi) EVSE unit to work with it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom