Can't get CarPlay to work [SOLVED]

StuartT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I took delivery of my brand new EV4 Trophy today and I love it! But the whole computer setup is a bit challenging (my last car was a 2007 Fiesta and had no computer of any kind!).

I gather I can connect my iPhone via a USB cable so I can actually control the phone from the car (CarPlay?). But I can't get it to work. I plugged the phone in to the USB socket and a very brief message appeared on the iPhone then vanished before I could read it. After a few goes, I managed to screenshot it before it disappeared. This is what it looks like. I assume I need to press "allow" but I've tried several times to plug it in then catch the "allow" button before it disappears again. But to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I have solved this now. It was the cable. To save you reading the entire thread, just go to post #70

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I assume you're using the left USB port (USB A)?

Are you using an approved Apple cable? (MFi certified? Some people say this helps).

Have you tried deleting the car from the phone's Bluetooth devices history? And likewise for CarPlay history (if such a thing exists - I don't have an Apple devices)?

Difficult to give a definitive answer but try the following:
Use the USB A socket not the C.
Wait until infotainment system has started before plugging phone in.
Open phone once plugged in or try plugging in once phone is open.
Use a genuine Apple cable not another make.

I assume you're using the left USB port (USB A)?

Are you using an approved Apple cable? (MFi certified? Some people say this helps).

Have you tried deleting the car from the phone's Bluetooth devices history? And likewise for CarPlay history (if such a thing exists - I don't have an Apple devices)?
Yes, using the USB-A port on the left.
Difficult to give a definitive answer but try the following:
Use the USB A socket not the C.
Wait until infotainment system has started before plugging phone in.
Open phone once plugged in or try plugging in once phone is open.
Use a genuine Apple cable not another make.
I tried all this. First I was using a generic cable so I got an Apple cable and still the same.

Does CarPlay require the cable at all times (assuming I ever get it to work)? Or can it be connected via Bluetooth instead?

Yes, using the USB-A port on the left.

I tried all this. First I was using a generic cable so I got an Apple cable and still the same.

Does CarPlay require the cable at all times (assuming I ever get it to work)? Or can it be connected via Bluetooth instead?
It requires the cable to work is the phone software up to date?

When I've had trouble connecting my phone to the car, I sometimes have to reboot the infotainment system. You can do this by pressing and holding the home button (the physical button below the screen, not the one on screen) Wait until the screen goes blank, then release and wait for it to reboot.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :ROFLMAO:

A quick Google also came up with these suggestions for someone describing exactly the same problem you have (allow option pops up briefly):

"To get carplay working on my van, I had to change the lightning cable - the original ones barely last a year, and some aftermarket ones have a different chip, so do your research. I also have to turn on carplay on the phone with every ios update, and sometimes when it's been switched off. The setting is completely unintuitive - Settings - Accesibilty - Side button - Siri. Only when that's switched on will carplay work."

"The other 10% of the time I need to check the lightning port in phone isn't full of fluff, a little compressed air usually fixes this."

"You need to unlock the phone before or after the connection is made, then it works every time. Face recognition or finger print on older iPhones or type in the code. I have a Porsche as the other car and it is the same for that too. Apple Carplay needs to have an unlocked phone to work."

"I've had Carplay now for about 5 years on a couple of cars and found that there is a security setting implemented in one iOS update that prompts for your phone to be unlocked whenever accessories are plugged in (in this case your car is the accessory) but you can stop this by enabling a setting. If you go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode (probably say fingerprint or similar on older phones) > enter your pin to go into these settings > scroll towards the bottom and in the "Allow access when locked" section there is a toggle for Accessories and setting this to on (shows green) will mean you dont have to unlock your phone whenever you plug into the car and it should just connect every time.

In terms of the cable etc i've always had no issues with either the original Apple cables or 3rd party ones that have the "Made for iPhone\iPad" mark on the box which means its licensed by Apple so has the right chips etc. A lot of the really cheap ones will charge but dont have the right chip for data transfer. Also always worth checking the port on the phone as well, these regularly get clogged up with lint and fluff that stop a proper connection being made. Easy to clean out with a little toothpick (or if you are careful a straightened out paper clip) and you will be amazed at the amount of rubbish that builds up in there and gets compacted by the cable going in and out all the time. I thought an old iPhone of mine had packed up as it wouldnt charge, someone suggested cleaning it out so i did and about a years worth of rubbish came out of the port and worked fine again. I now do it every so often to make sure i have no issues."

Many thanks for these suggestions.
When I've had trouble connecting my phone to the car, I sometimes have to reboot the infotainment system. You can do this by pressing and holding the home button (the physical button below the screen, not the one on screen) Wait until the screen goes blank, then release and wait for it to reboot.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :ROFLMAO:
I tried re-booting as you suggested. No joy
A quick Google also came up with these suggestions for someone describing exactly the same problem you have (allow option pops up briefly):

"To get carplay working on my van, I had to change the lightning cable - the original ones barely last a year, and some aftermarket ones have a different chip, so do your research. I also have to turn on carplay on the phone with every ios update, and sometimes when it's been switched off. The setting is completely unintuitive - Settings - Accesibilty - Side button - Siri. Only when that's switched on will carplay work."

"The other 10% of the time I need to check the lightning port in phone isn't full of fluff, a little compressed air usually fixes this."

"You need to unlock the phone before or after the connection is made, then it works every time. Face recognition or finger print on older iPhones or type in the code. I have a Porsche as the other car and it is the same for that too. Apple Carplay needs to have an unlocked phone to work."

"I've had Carplay now for about 5 years on a couple of cars and found that there is a security setting implemented in one iOS update that prompts for your phone to be unlocked whenever accessories are plugged in (in this case your car is the accessory) but you can stop this by enabling a setting. If you go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode (probably say fingerprint or similar on older phones) > enter your pin to go into these settings > scroll towards the bottom and in the "Allow access when locked" section there is a toggle for Accessories and setting this to on (shows green) will mean you dont have to unlock your phone whenever you plug into the car and it should just connect every time.

In terms of the cable etc i've always had no issues with either the original Apple cables or 3rd party ones that have the "Made for iPhone\iPad" mark on the box which means its licensed by Apple so has the right chips etc. A lot of the really cheap ones will charge but dont have the right chip for data transfer. Also always worth checking the port on the phone as well, these regularly get clogged up with lint and fluff that stop a proper connection being made. Easy to clean out with a little toothpick (or if you are careful a straightened out paper clip) and you will be amazed at the amount of rubbish that builds up in there and gets compacted by the cable going in and out all the time. I thought an old iPhone of mine had packed up as it wouldnt charge, someone suggested cleaning it out so i did and about a years worth of rubbish came out of the port and worked fine again. I now do it every so often to make sure i have no issues."
Went through all these settings and activated them. Also cleaned out the socket and lightning plug. To no avail, sadly.

Appreciate the help guys!

I know you've tried different cables, but they my be worth revisting if you have any others. I had to try several before I got one that worked reliably. I'm using Android and Android Auto, but the cable issue is the same regardless of OS.

I also read on one post about enabling Carplay on the phone. Might need to reboot it afterwards. Again something I had to do on Android, enable Android Auto, and then reboot phone.

Once you get it working, it should be fairly reliable.

I know you've tried different cables, but they my be worth revisting if you have any others. I had to try several before I got one that worked reliably. I'm using Android and Android Auto, but the cable issue is the same regardless of OS.

I also read on one post about enabling Carplay on the phone. Might need to reboot it afterwards. Again something I had to do on Android, enable Android Auto, and then reboot phone.

Once you get it working, it should be fairly reliable.
thanks. I have a third cable at work, so I'll try that.

Ok, so my son has now managed to get his two iPhones working with this. And it doesn't seem to care which cable he uses.

So I guess there must be an issue with my iPhone - probably one of the 38,644 settings iPhones have these days :rolleyes:

I don't sound grumpy at all, do I? :LOL:

There are cheap Chinese after market devices on the market which let you go wireless. Google YouTube and search Ali Express. Tape to underside of 'floating Island' and job's a goodun.

There are cheap Chinese after market devices on the market which let you go wireless. Google YouTube and search Ali Express. Tape to underside of 'floating Island' and job's a goodun.
Called an Android AI box, but I believe they work with both Android and Apple phones. I have one in my car. Carlinkit do various boxes, just pick the right one for you phone/vehicle.

Ok, so my son has now managed to get his two iPhones working with this. And it doesn't seem to care which cable he uses.

So I guess there must be an issue with my iPhone - probably one of the 38,644 settings iPhones have these days :rolleyes:

I don't sound grumpy at all, do I? :LOL:
Sounds like the solution is to give your son your phone, and tell him to work out what setting needs changing! :ROFLMAO:

I have just acquired a Trophy and had problems with Android Auto. The dealer tried car play and this failed so has deduced the USB socket is faulty.
I know your son's phones work but I would go back to your dealer and ask them to try an Apple phone and cable which they know to work. You may have a faulty socket.

I am certainly using a proper Apple cable, so it's not that. In any case, my son got his phones working even with a generic cable.

I can only conclude it must be one of the settings on my phone. It's strange though, as I have managed to get car play working on various hire cars using this phone.

Most odd

Are you sure the cable is genuine. I tried lots of ‘certified’ cables but wouldn’t connect. . I had similar problem until someone got me a cable from an Apple shop. Now no problem connecting my iPhone. I have a Trophy.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back