Can't get CarPlay to work [SOLVED]

Ok, I went to my local MG dealer today. A very helpful and knowledgeable engineer explained that it's not actually the socket, but the cable. The system is extremely fussy about cables (as many of you have pointed out in this thread). He produced the cable he uses for testing and plugged it into my phone and it worked immediately. He jiggled it about slightly and it remained connected. He unplugged and re-plugged a few times and it worked every time.

He's given me the part number and I'm going to order one. It's a VW cable and quite pricey. Part no. 000.051.446.BR)

So it's not sufficient to use an original Apple cable, it seems! (as I tried two of those).

Anyway, glad to be reassured that it's neither my phone nor my car that's at fault. A cable I reckon I can run to ;)

Thanks again to everyone for your help and patience.
Where did you order from please?

Difficult to give a definitive answer but try the following:
Use the USB A socket not the C.
Wait until infotainment system has started before plugging phone in.
Open phone once plugged in or try plugging in once phone is open.
Use a genuine Apple cable not another make.
This worked for me. An Apple USB C cable which worked fine in a VW failed. The same cable with a USB A adaptor failed.

Yes, using the USB-A port on the left.

I tried all this. First I was using a generic cable so I got an Apple cable and still the same.

Does CarPlay require the cable at all times (assuming I ever get it to work)? Or can it be connected via Bluetooth instead?
It only works with the cable, but the iPhone suggests it should work wirelessly if you long-press the voice command button on the steering wheel. Maybe it will after an upgrade.

Ok, I went to my local MG dealer today. A very helpful and knowledgeable engineer explained that it's not actually the socket, but the cable. The system is extremely fussy about cables (as many of you have pointed out in this thread). He produced the cable he uses for testing and plugged it into my phone and it worked immediately. He jiggled it about slightly and it remained connected. He unplugged and re-plugged a few times and it worked every time.

He's given me the part number and I'm going to order one. It's a VW cable and quite pricey. Part no. 000.051.446.BR)

So it's not sufficient to use an original Apple cable, it seems! (as I tried two of those).

Anyway, glad to be reassured that it's neither my phone nor my car that's at fault. A cable I reckon I can run to ;)

Thanks again to everyone for your help and patience.
Thought you were trying an iPhone. This is a usb c cable.

Thought you were trying an iPhone. This is a usb c cable.
no. It's a USB-A cable. The Car Play function isn't enabled for the USB-C socket according to the manual (see this post)
1693069114843.png

I tried the part number and it showed a usb c not lightning connection.
looks like you may have mis-typed the number. The USB-A to USB-C cable end in -BS

The one I am referencing ends in a -BR

looks like you may have mis-typed the number. The USB-A to USB-C cable end in -BS

The one I am referencing ends in a -BR

Perfect thanks for confirming 👍

I know it's Android and not Apple, but when I got my new phone this week and started to see what Android Auto was all about, I ordered this from Amazon. (The phone came with a USB-C to USB-C connector which I had figured out wasn't going to do me any good and besides my music is in the USB-C socket.)

Amazon product ASIN B098DTBP29
I've been running around trying out the satnav and the phone and so far so good but it's been completely stable. I got a screen freeze last night which seemed to be caused by my amateur efforts with the satnav entering an extremely complicated - frankly insane - route and scrambling its brains. That had sorted itself out by today, so hopefully it will go on working. The rather pathetic cable I had been using just to charge my old phone probably wouldn't have cut it even if it had had the right connector on it.

However... I am a cheapskate, so I actually decided to try an Anker cable (as I usually find them pretty good). Cheaper and delivered in 24h from Amazon.

AND IT WORKS!!! CarPlay problem now solved

this one Amazon product ASIN B078NPDRHL

I second the Anker cable bought day one and it’s worked fine on mine and my iPhone

I wondered why Apple CarPlay didn't work on USB-C. I asked the dealership and they said it only works through USB-A. Any technical whizzes out there who can explain why CarPlay can't work through USB-C? As C is becoming the 'standard' in Europe, it would be good if it did work in our cars.

I wondered why Apple CarPlay didn't work on USB-C. I asked the dealership and they said it only works through USB-A. Any technical whizzes out there who can explain why CarPlay can't work through USB-C? As C is becoming the 'standard' in Europe, it would be good if it did work in our cars.
The USB C port on the MG4 is not a data port, it’s basically just a charge port.

I think the front USB-A port is the only one that supports Carplay. The USB-C port will support a thumb drive. I have my music and a couple of videos on a 128Gb USB-C stick and it plays perfectly in the car (MG4 Trophy).

I've developed some real brand-loyalty to Anker. Their cables have always worked for me where others don't. Chargers are solidly built and reliable. Power banks too. Great products.

Both ports can do data, that is how the USB-C port supports media files.

With wired CarPlay/AA installations it is common to only provide it over a single port (USB-A) in this case. That way, there is only ever a single phone connected, which keeps things simple.

If multiple ports could do CarPlay/AA you'd have to have a way of intuitively picking the right one, or allowing user selection and switching and other complexities.

To keep it simple, most manufacturers just enable one port in the car.

What about wireless apple CarPlay? When will it be supported? My iPhone works well through the cable, and it also shows SAIC 1.0+ at settings/general/CarPlay/my car. However long-pressing the voice button on the steering wheel as instructed to get a wireless linkup does nothing

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back