Can't get CarPlay to work [SOLVED]

CarPlay continues to frustrate me . All seemed okay in the early days, but its got worse over time. It either doesn’t connect to my iPhone 13 at all, although the phone does show it is charging through the cable, or it connects for a split second then disconnects. I’ve tried various cables, cleaned sockets, rebooted the infotainment system, all to no avail.
I was wondering if anyone had similar issues of this split second connection but then nothing?

CarPlay continues to frustrate me . All seemed okay in the early days, but its got worse over time. It either doesn’t connect to my iPhone 13 at all, although the phone does show it is charging through the cable, or it connects for a split second then disconnects. I’ve tried various cables, cleaned sockets, rebooted the infotainment system, all to no avail.
I was wondering if anyone had similar issues of this split second connection but then nothing?
That's exactly what the OP reported as their issue as well

Ok, I went to my local MG dealer today. A very helpful and knowledgeable engineer explained that it's not actually the socket, but the cable. The system is extremely fussy about cables (as many of you have pointed out in this thread). He produced the cable he uses for testing and plugged it into my phone and it worked immediately. He jiggled it about slightly and it remained connected. He unplugged and re-plugged a few times and it worked every time.

He's given me the part number and I'm going to order one. It's a VW cable and quite pricey. Part no. 000.051.446.BR)

So it's not sufficient to use an original Apple cable, it seems! (as I tried two of those).

Anyway, glad to be reassured that it's neither my phone nor my car that's at fault. A cable I reckon I can run to ;)

Thanks again to everyone for your help and patience.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I must confess to being very surprised. I'd always thought that all cables carrying digital signals were equal, unlike those carrying analogue, where quality is Important to prevent signal degradation.
Anyone any ideas why the VW cable is better? I'm not an Apple user so I can't do any tests

That sounds like one of those "pub" facts that get rolled out when you've had a few similar to "Do you know who makes the most tyres in the world?"

The Beetle got several subtle facelifts over its life, so perhaps no single part ran over 7mill before it was replaced.
Maybe, but for some of the parts in a Beetle there is more than one, there's four pistons for a start. You need loads of the clips that hold the door cards and interior panels on, so I'm thinking there may be more than 7 million of those in the world.

I must confess to being very surprised. I'd always thought that all cables carrying digital signals were equal, unlike those carrying analogue, where quality is Important to prevent signal degradation.
Anyone any ideas why the VW cable is better? I'm not an Apple user so I can't do any tests
yes, you would certainly think so. Ones and zeros are presumably simple to transmit accurately. But there is clearly more to it than that! Maybe someone on here can explain what's going on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back