IanMK

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm just doing my annual ritual of comparing car insurance quotes and I've just realised that the MG4 is considered by the industry to have an alarm and immobiliser, but no tracking device! (also that it's not imported, but I guess they mean a personal import).
(Struggling to keep the cost down this year, too)

Nope - no official (Thatcham-approved*) tracker, even though you can track it via the app.

* I think this is what insurers mean when asking about a tracker.

Keep looking - I was £335 last year and they declined to offer renewal - too old! Quotes ranged from £700 to £1700. Got renewed at £440 with Churchill finally, same policy offered by other sites at £100 more. Oddly the premium dropped when I specified driveway overnight instead of garage and when I dded my

I used Go Compare BTW. Confused.com offered the same policy but £100 higher cost.

I was given a new quote from my existing insurer. Wasn't happy . They refused to budge. Went to Compare the Market and got it cheaper with , guess who? The same insurer!
It's such a scam

Keep looking - I was £335 last year and they declined to offer renewal - too old! Quotes ranged from £700 to £1700. Got renewed at £440 with Churchill finally, same policy offered by other sites at £100 more. Oddly the premium dropped when I specified driveway overnight instead of garage and when I dded my
The reason why it's cheaper on a driveway is due to the number of accidents going in or out of the garage (as my uncle can testify!)

Nope - no official (Thatcham-approved*) tracker, even though you can track it via the app.

* I think this is what insurers mean when asking about a tracker.
That may be the case, but how are we to know (and why is it unacceptable?). They insist that the information we provide is accurate so I would say that they have a duty to be clear. (Is the factory-fit immobiliser thatcham approved?)
I was insured through RAC insurance last year but they were asking for than twice last year's premium for renewal. I guess they have lost the appetite for by business. I haven't been able to keep under £500 this year, although this includes protected NCB (at £35 +IPT) and £0 voluntary excess.
It's a legalised scam.

I've never understood why the motor vehicle manufacturers do not have an insurance branch to their business models. They could offer good rates (even as a loss leader) to gain new customers and retain brand loyalty, if they continue with competitive rates. On brand forums such as this, word would soon get around reducing the need for expensive advertising. Or would that be upsetting some cartel from whom at the moment they get an introduction fee for any business they put their way? Sorry, I thought I was on the Insurance Thread????

Last edited:
That may be the case, but how are we to know (and why is it unacceptable?). They insist that the information we provide is accurate so I would say that they have a duty to be clear. (Is the factory-fit immobiliser thatcham approved?)
When I put my registration number in the comparison site it automatically filled the details about the car and immobilisers etc. The tracking option was not selected.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back