Car not charging on DC chargers / Fault code P1EB2 Battery Interface Control Module 1 Not Programmed

It's a serious issue. I haven't used a DC charger since December and it could be months before I need one again, but if you can't use one you're effectively tethered.

It's a serious issue. I haven't used a DC charger since December and it could be months before I need one again, but if you can't use one you're effectively tethered.

Yep, I’m really concerned about this, I tested CCS charging when I got the car, however feels like it needs to be tested after it’s been for a service as well now.

That was my feeling back at the beginning of August, because of someone else's experience in the thread I still can't find. They had had this problem emerge after a software update. I had a software update on 31st July, and I had a long road trip planned for a couple of weeks later. As soon as I picked the car up I went to three different DC chargers to start a charge and confirm it was all working. If I hadn't been able to rapid-charge I'd have had to have hired a car for a week.

I tested rapid charging about 2 weeks after my service and software updates. (It coincided with me setting up my Fastned account). :)

I spoke with my local dealership today to see if there was any update from MG, I am told that there wasn't but that they now have 3 cars with the exact same issue that they are waiting for updates from MG on. If there is three in one dealership I dread to think how many cars are impacted by this nationwide.

***!!! What am I doing?. Trading a 5 year old kia soul 30kwh that has NEVER had a SINGLE issue in for an mg4 (LR) that may have these kind of issues with these kind of responses from what appears to be a very busy (wonder why 🤔) support network ?
The idea that a 7kw charger will suffice until they can fit you in month(s) down the line is wholly unacceptable.
The point of moving to a 64kwh battery rather than the 30kwh battery I currently use was so that I wouldn't have to make 4 charge stops each way on my 6 weekly 500+ mile round trip.
Honestly, 1 x ac 7kw charge is going to take longer than 4 x dc 50kw charges. Is it time to cancel my order and keep the old ( but v.reliable) Soul

Someone may correct me about this, but I think this is only happening to phase 1 cars. I think the phase 2 cars that are being supplied now do not have the component that is going wrong.

Ok, thanks for that, fingers crossed.
BUT my heart seriously goes out to all those suffering with it. This shouldn't be your introduction to EV experience. Sounds horrendous.
A report to trading standards against MG as a whole selling goods unfit for purpose!!
Gotta go calm down a bit....

Someone may correct me about this, but I think this is only happening to phase 1 cars. I think the phase 2 cars that are being supplied now do not have the component that is going wrong.
We don't know that yet - there have not been enough examples to be sure. With the AC charging issue we know that to be the Phase 1 CCU but this DC charging issue will be something else as DC charging talks directly to the battery.

Ok, thanks for that, fingers crossed.
BUT my heart seriously goes out to all those suffering with it. This shouldn't be your introduction to EV experience. Sounds horrendous.
A report to trading standards against MG as a whole selling goods unfit for purpose!!
Gotta go calm down a bit....
A word of advice - if you tour car forums while waiting for your car order to be fulfilled you'll come across all sorts of horror stories for any make/model.

Bear in mind most people have a trouble-free experience and forums magnify the negatives because that's when people need help.

Sorry, what's the definition of phase 1 & 2. Searched, couldn't find anything

In the early summer of last year a somewhat facelifted version of the MG4 was issues. The new cars have rear windscreen wipers and rear centre head rests. Also changes to the wheel specifications, and the Trophy lost its two-tone roof.

Something also happened about AC charging, with the ability to charge at higher power on AC chargers that some cars have being removed. (It didn't make any difference to the SR, which didn't have this in the first place, so I'm not sure.

We don't know that yet - there have not been enough examples to be sure. With the AC charging issue we know that to be the Phase 1 CCU but this DC charging issue will be something else as DC charging talks directly to the battery.

That's a good point. I was probably thinking of the AC charging issue when I typed that, so as you were. We don't know if this other DC problem will affect phase 2 cars or not.

From what I think I've read so far there seems to be three potential fault generation areas ? Phase 1 3 phase charge ports on the AC, Faulty sensor in the battery pack registering 86° on a cell and s/w upgrade. Is that right ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back