Charge won't stop at 80 percent

Filban

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I collected my MG4 Excite Long Range last week (Y22 version). Very happy with it so far, drives very nicely and great range/efficiency. I have charged it only twice so far, both times I had the App set to stop charging at 80 percent but it charged to 100 percent? The second time I double checked the App and the car settings were at 80 percent but it still charged to 100 percent?? Am I missing something?

What are you charging it on, you might need to check the app for the charger

Since nobody who knows what they're talking about has answered yet, here's an interim guess. (I have an SR so mine doesn't stop at 80% anyway.)

I've read in other threads that the % has to be set on either the app or the charger but not both. If it's set on both it confuses the system and it doesn't work. I can't remember which is best, but someone else will be along to explain soon, I expect.

Oops, sorry, cross posting. Not meaning to imply that Leni16 doesn't know what he's talking about!

Since nobody who knows what they're talking about has answered yet, here's an interim guess. (I have an SR so mine doesn't stop at 80% anyway.)

I've read in other threads that the % has to be set on either the app or the charger but not both. If it's set on both it confuses the system and it doesn't work. I can't remember which is best, but someone else will be along to explain soon, I expect.

Oops, sorry, cross posting. Not meaning to imply that Leni16 doesn't know what he's talking about!
Glad I got to the last paragraph there before I replied😂

I collected my MG4 Excite Long Range last week (Y22 version). Very happy with it so far, drives very nicely and great range/efficiency. I have charged it only twice so far, both times I had the App set to stop charging at 80 percent but it charged to 100 percent? The second time I double checked the App and the car settings were at 80 percent but it still charged to 100 percent?? Am I missing something?
Sounds like you are doing the right things, so If that continues, i'd go back to your dealer, they will likely update the BMS.
In effect, the car should be rejecting any further charge once it reaches the limit you have set in the app, balancing aside.

Do check the limit set in the car itself rather than the app, just in case they are not talking properly to each other...It wouldnt be the first time

Thanks all - will try it one more time before contacting dealer. Ironically I want to charge to 100 percent next time as I'm planning a return trip from the midlands to Dublin airport without charging stops (should be easily doable). Could possibly manage that trip on 80 percent but would be cutting it fine. It's all a learning curve.

Just checking whether by "the app" you mean MG iSmart?

The car should stop accepting charge when it reaches the level it's been told. You can also set that level through the car's touchscreen.

Just a theory, maybe you've set the limit in your charger's app. e.g. if it's an Ohme charger, the Ohme app. Unfortunately there's poor standardisation in the way cars and chargers communicate. Some public chargers seem to be able to see what level the MG4 is at, but my home Ohme, for one, can't. So the best you can do in the Ohme app is tell it how much to add. If you tell the charger what the starting charge is, it can estimate the current charge, but that's the best it can do.

So as far as smart charging goes, you have to compromise a bit.

If you're telling the car itself to stop at 80%, and it isn't, repeatably, contact your dealer.

I've seen it spontaneously set itself to 100% once or twice. I wonder whether it does this on a schedule to achieve a balancing charge?

Thanks all - will try it one more time before contacting dealer. Ironically I want to charge to 100 percent next time as I'm planning a return trip from the midlands to Dublin airport without charging stops (should be easily doable). Could possibly manage that trip on 80 percent but would be cutting it fine. It's all a learning curve.
Do not hesitate to charge 100% before a long journey. That's what it's for.

But avoid charging over 80% on rapid chargers, because it slows right down - you'd be paying rapid prices for less-than-rapid charging rate, and also blocking the charger for others.

Do not hesitate to charge 100% before a long journey. That's what it's for.

But avoid charging over 80% on rapid chargers, because it slows right down - you'd be paying rapid prices for less-than-rapid charging rate, and also blocking the charger for others.
Mine is still charging at over 50kW beyond 80% and has a few times been over 90% before I've got back from having a pee and something to eat and drink. Agree that when it does slow down a lot it's not sensible or polite to remain on the charger.

My app has changed its setting to 100% without me knowing on a few occasions. I'm following a suggestion I read in a scheduled charging thread about making the settings on the car and then never opening the app until the charge has finished. So, to make sure that the car knows I'm doing a new setting, I set the percentage limit in the car to 100% and then reset it to 80%. That probably makes no difference and shouldn't need to be done, but it makes me feel like the car will know that I have reset the charge settings! Then I plug in, lock the car and don't look at the app!

I'm doing this to try to get the time schedule to behave, but it might be worth a try. You could always test by setting the level to the next 10% above your current battery level and see if it stops at that.

Good luck!

I always set the charge limit in the car itself rather than the app. The app can sometimes be a little unreliable and thus far I've not had a problem with setting the charge limit in the car and the limit not being followed.

Maybe it's worth trying to set it in the car next time?

I have never set the limit (80%) via the car, only ever via the app. By doing so the car should reflect this. Since I put mine into my dealer and had software updates applied (in particular the BMS), the car has done exactly as instructed via the app, no issues.

I have never set the limit (80%) via the car, only ever via the app. By doing so the car should reflect this. Since I put mine into my dealer and had software updates applied (in particular the BMS), the car has done exactly as instructed via the app, no issues.
When did you get the BMS updated? Is there a version number that can be checked on the infotainment? etc.

As an up-date and after a bit more investigation - No matter what percentage I set the car to stop at, it tells me the end time and range upon completion will be the same!??? No difference between 50% and 100%. Screenshot of software version added for info.
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG

Have been advised to talk to Service and Warranty team.

If I go in to the SmartApp during charging, I can stop the charge so looks like some kind of software glitch in the car system??

Maybe I’ve got this wrong, but if you’re running the SE, you don’t need to stop the charge at 80%, and in fact should charge to 100% most, if not all of the time

As an up-date and after a bit more investigation - No matter what percentage I set the car to stop at, it tells me the end time and range upon completion will be the same!??? No difference between 50% and 100%.
As I mentioned in another thread about this, have you tried to update the car status in the app after changing the percentage? I find that mine Luxury/Trophy does the same but after a status update or two (high left in the remotecontroll tab) in the MG ismart app it tends to change end time etc.

As I mentioned in another thread about this, have you tried to update the car status in the app after changing the percentage? I find that mine Luxury/Trophy does the same but after a status update or two (high left in the remotecontroll tab) in the MG ismart app it tends to change end time etc.
Thanks, I'll try that but it's the status in the car infotainment system that shows the same time/range at different % rather than the App.

Maybe I’ve got this wrong, but if you’re running the SE, you don’t need to stop the charge at 80%, and in fact should charge to 100% most, if not all of the time
Thanks Diggsy, it's the Long Range SE so same batteries as the Trophy - need to charge to 80% for majority of time. From another thread it sounds like I have to activate the schedule in order to stop at 80%. I thought that was just for timing but will give it a go.

As a side note.
My Luxury/Trophy does not stop at set battery percentage (usualy 80%) on ac charging (Easee home), unless I activate the cars charge planner (activating the planner in the car or app does not matter). Are this normal behavior for all the LR cars? For me it destroys my ability to use the chargers IA and it's as used now the Easee is just a dum wall charger.

Come to think about it, mybe if I set the planner to charge the whole 24h and then activate the smart AI in the Easee it might work. Hmm, anyone tried if that hack works?

Thanks Diggsy, it's the Long Range SE so same batteries as the Trophy - need to charge to 80% for majority of time. From another thread it sounds like I have to activate the schedule in order to stop at 80%. I thought that was just for timing but will give it a go.
No and yes, the planner gives you a time frame to charge in but the percentage to charge to wil cut in before it comes to end time. Does so with my car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back