ChargePlace Scotland now operated by Swarco?

In all honesty, the helpdesk have been good so far - but took 15+ minutes the other evening when stuck on a Rapid, but I suspect there were network issues as my RFID cards wouldn't authenticate - so likely a bit more demand on them than usual.

Think I'll stick with using the RFID (or bank card validates too) from now on - I don't need to see online history for free charging.
As I understand it your bank card will no longer work. Your RFID card may or may not. Worth testing your RFID card prior to an important journey where you need to use a CPS charger.

I have only ever used the physical rfid card to start a charge, no experience with the app at all. Do your rfid cards work if you present one to a charger?

I have only ever used the physical rfid card to start a charge, no experience with the app at all. Do your rfid cards work if you present one to a charger?
Mine didn't on Monday due to a data transfer problem between CYC and Swarco. I have been promised that this will be fixed by Swarco Admin (no timescale could be given). I'll be trying it again tomorrow but fully expect to have to use the app (if it works) with a backstop of phoning the help desk. I'll report back!

All of my RFID cards seem to work - except for Tuesday where none would authorise a charge - combined with the long wait time of customer services, I suspect there are some issues making them a bit busier than normal. Bank card has worked before, not tried recently

A quick update FWIW.

Hawick charger this afternoon.....RFID card kaput.....so yet to be fixed by Admin.

The app worked though.....hurrah. Unfortunately as has been mentioned before there are many rural chargers in Scotland where there is no mobile phone coverage. The app would be useless in these places.

So, it's back to an email to Admin to try and get this sorted. Wish me luck!

All three of my cards failed today, including the one that helpdesk confirmed was active and working when I called last night. App logged in and allows CCS selection but charge failed on a unit that always works.

Suspect they're having more significant issues that they're admitting to.

All three of my cards failed today, including the one that helpdesk confirmed was active and working when I called last night. App logged in and allows CCS selection but charge failed on a unit that always works.

Suspect they're having more significant issues that they're admitting to.
I think you are right.

It occurs to me that they have probably got to the point where they had to switch on card checking to start collecting charging charges (if you see what I mean). I think they have just decided to take the hit on the amount of problems that has caused and are trying to deal with the problems piecemeal.

Hope they sort themselves out sooner rather than later.

I think you are right.

It occurs to me that they have probably got to the point where they had to switch on card checking to start collecting charging charges (if you see what I mean). I think they have just decided to take the hit on the amount of problems that has caused and are trying to deal with the problems piecemeal.

Hope they sort themselves out sooner rather than later.

At some point CPS will begin making you pay again but not yet. All charging on CPS network is still free atmo.

I must be lucky, so far my rfid card has never failed to work (bought from cyc long before the changeover)

At some point CPS will begin making you pay again but not yet. All charging on CPS network is still free atmo.

I must be lucky, so far my rfid card has never failed to work (bought from cyc long before the changeover)
Fife charge a fee - but I tend to avoid going back there as much as possible!

I think the current disruption is CPS switching off the old cards - or so I’m led to believe. Doesn’t explain why none of my new cards are validating though.

I'm in Dumfries tomorrow and will need a small charge. According to CPS it's 25p kWh (min charge £1.50). Let's see if I get charged.

If you look at your cps account history there will be a list of charge sessions but cps have not billed anyone for some time.

Dumfries today. RFID card worked....must have been sorted out by CPS Admin.

£4.39 showing on my CPS account. Let's see if they collect the cash. Here's hoping that they don't.

CPS do not charge anyone. They collect money on behalf of hosts (mostly local councils) who decide what to charge for charging. Most of the 32 local councils in Scotland do not currently levy charges, but many of the bigger ones do. When the Swarco takeover of the back office functions happened, there was a problem with CPS Rfid cards, so until earlier this month, they allowed any RFID to start a charge. There was no way of tracing this back to whoever should have paid the charge. Now that the system is working as it should, you should expect to be billed for charging where a charge is levied. It is collected once a month. Following a report on the network in Scotland published recently, there is no doubt that free charging in those council areas where it still happens will end in the not too distant future. This will allow the councils to reinvest in new units and maintenance of the current ones.

Ok, this is such a silly question but, and I can hear the snorting sniggers of derision, but - how do you use the ChargePlace Scotland App for approving a charge at a charger? I can see there's something in the RFID card, but how does it recognise the app?

Ok, this is such a silly question but, and I can hear the snorting sniggers of derision, but - how do you use the ChargePlace Scotland App for approving a charge at a charger? I can see there's something in the RFID card, but how does it recognise the app?
No sniggering going on here Dave’cos I couldn’t make the dashed app work the other day either 🤷‍♂️ And many thanks Angusgolfer for your words of wisdom - I shall do battle with one of those contraptions soon and see if I can succeed until my new card finally arrives. Luckily home charges and Tesco top ups suffice just now. ( when the long term chargers from the NHS offices next door finally get a lift round to collect their cars again and leave a machine free 😡😡)

Hi Dave.....are you wondering how the app communicates with CPS to determine who is initiating the charge?

If so, in the app, once logged in, you use the map to choose the charger required. Clicking on the charger displays details of it at the bottom of the screen. Scroll up slightly and there is a link on the right hand side which when clicked displays another screen for the charger details. Click on the button Start Charge which initiates the charge using your login details. It will tell you to plug the charger into your car and off you go!

"Network operating in a stable manner" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 aye, right. It's been flakier than an ice cream van of 99ers since the get go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-171932_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-171932_Firefox.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 85
Possibly something to do with the horse bolting from aforementioned stable prior to the big charge ??

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom