• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charges ok everywhere but at home

LilCrumpet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Bit of an odd one hoping someone else may have experienced it though?

Got a 20 reg MG ZS EV had it since May this year we have been charging it using the 3 pin granny cable when at home and it worked great until just before christmas it now won’t charge for longer than 2 to 5 mins before it stops charging and the lights on the charger just has a solid power light and flashing charging light. I take the same charger and car to another house and it works (tried it at two houses one for an hour + and another for 4 hours and it worked) the car also works at fast chargers ok.

Just had an electrician round and he says the house and socket is fine and getting enough power.

It’s just so odd can’t figure out what is happening, anyone had anything similar?

Solution
Have you installed powerline adaptors to put the internet around the mains wiring or Sky Q? If so, turn these off and all should be working OK again
I've used the granny charger almost every day since november 2019, only problem i had was the three pin plug getting warm, changed it for MK problem solved. I also use a good quality extension lead and no heat there.

Upvote 0
I've used the granny charger almost every day since november 2019, only problem i had was the three pin plug getting warm, changed it for MK problem solved. I also use a good quality extension lead and no heat there.
and if you were a smoker I'd recommend you stopped. At the end of the day it's your call.

Upvote 0
and if you were a smoker I'd recommend you stopped. At the en d of the day it's your call.
I live in a rented property and landlord would not allow charger to be fitted. I also live in a rural area with a 26 mile round trip to the nearest public charger, what would you suggest I use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some misunderstanding here. I have an outside dedicated socket for my Granny charger which has a 30a cable and fuse to match. I naturally agree that using regular 3 core with a 13a fuse is not recommended ! I live in rural France by the way where we have a 9kw supply so overnight using 2.2kw is a low load.

Upvote 0
I live in a rented property and landlord would not allow charger to be fitted. I also live in a rural area with a 26 mile round trip to the nearest public charger, what would you suggest I use?
That's a shame and I feel for you, that counts as emergency use if you have no other option! You could try telling your landlord he's an idiot? Yes, a charger costs, but by delaying he's lost the help of a grant. I'd say that with the way EV adoption is going then he'll need to install something at some point and if he doesn't, then his property will be less attractive to future tenants or purchasers.

Upvote 0
Emergencies ? Never used anything else and covered 8k in 4 months. My oven pulls more wattage than a Granny charger ?
I'd suggest caution. Your oven I would suggest because it is ...
1, designed to be used frequently it is not "Plugged in" but "Hardwired in".​
2, even when in use, because it has a thermostat, the current is drawn only intermittently​
...both are unlike charging a car with granny charger which continuously draws current through a 13A plug.

Drawing sustained high current through a standard 13A plug and socket will usually run rather warm which is not a good long term solution and not what domestic 13A sockets are designed for. Industrial (Commando) plugs and sockets are designed for such operations. If you don't want to have a "Home Charger" (strictly speaking not a charger but an EVSE) then consider an OHME Intelligent Charging cable with a Blue Commando Plug and have an electrician install a Commando Socket. This will allow you to do your Smart Charging and Charging App. A good alternative to a wall mounted EVSE. I'm not sure but I think you can as an Octopus Energy customer get the Charging Cable half price.

If you're not yet Octopus Customer use my referral link and we can both get £50 each credit.
Use share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

Upvote 0
I'd suggest caution. Your oven I would suggest because it is ...
1, designed to be used frequently it is not "Plugged in" but "Hardwired in".​
2, even when in use, because it has a thermostat, the current is drawn only intermittently​
...both are unlike charging a car with granny charger which continuously draws current through a 13A plug.

Drawing sustained high current through a standard 13A plug and socket will usually run rather warm which is not a good long term solution and not what domestic 13A sockets are designed for. Industrial (Commando) plugs and sockets are designed for such operations. If you don't want to have a "Home Charger" (strictly speaking not a charger but an EVSE) then consider an OHME Intelligent Charging cable with a Blue Commando Plug and have an electrician install a Commando Socket. This will allow you to do your Smart Charging and Charging App. A good alternative to a wall mounted EVSE. I'm not sure but I think you can as an Octopus Energy customer get the Charging Cable half price.

If you're not yet Octopus Customer use my referral link and we can both get £50 each credit.
Use share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175
You did not read my last post ?

Upvote 0
I plug my granny charger into a previously installed (external waterproof) socket mounted on my gatepost and neither plug or socket have shown any signs of overheating possibly because I usually charge up overnight when ambient temperatures are lower.

This socket had only ever previously been used for outside Xmas lights prior to purchasing the MG so while it is fed by a 25A armoured cable this was originally connected to a 6A MCB. I'd initially forgotten about this but interestingly most of the charge cycles did complete with only the occasional one tripping out. This suggests the granny charger pulls a fairly steady current.

Upvote 0
I used the Granny charger for 6 months before my wallbox was installed, the plug gets slightly warm, but that's it, I had an outside socket fitted for the granny by a qualified electrician.

Upvote 0
My concern is that if things do go wrong then you have working smoke alarms and the fire station is not far away!

Upvote 0
My concern is that if things do go wrong then you have working smoke alarms and the fire station is not far away!
If anything does go wrong then that is what the ICCB (In Cable Control Box) is for.

If the vehicle is connected to household sockets (e.g. Schuko , SEV 1011 and others) for charging , the ICCB has the following additional functions:

Upvote 0
Powerline Based WiFi Extenders May Disrupt MG ZS EV Car Charging UPDATE
This confirms the issue, note an update from MG at least acknowledging the issue with EOP (ethernet over power such as BT home plunge devises). I am pretty sure the reason is poor electrical filtering in the MG charging electronics. It is true that EOP devises cause interference in your ring mains and it might help not to have a device in the same fused spur as your charger.
Probably too early for a definitive answer but do we know if the facelift version still has this issue?

When my charger was fitted the engineer put a new consumer unit in for it, next to the meter, so in theory it should be completely isolated from the household electrics?

Upvote 0
Probably too early for a definitive answer but do we know if the facelift version still has this issue?

When my charger was fitted the engineer put a new consumer unit in for it, next to the meter, so in theory it should be completely isolated from the household electrics?
I thought this just affected granny charging?

I have powerline based wifi extenders and never had any issues charging with either with the granny or my Rolec wallbox

Upvote 0
I thought this just affected granny charging?

I have powerline based wifi extenders and never had any issues charging with either with the granny or my Rolec wallbox
Wifi extenders are not powerline extenders. Do you plug an ethernet cable into them and transmit signals through the house wiring, or do you plug them in to provide power to boost the wifi signal?

Upvote 0
Wifi extenders are not powerline extenders. Do you plug an ethernet cable into them and transmit signals through the house wiring, or do you plug them in to provide power to boost the wifi signal?
they are powerline, the network comes though the house wiring, they dont extend the existing wifi

Upvote 0
I have both versions. EOP point to point with Ethernet socket and WiFi connections and also point to point with only WiFi at the remote end, which is a WiFi extender. Yes there are WiFi extenders that boost between devices that don’t use Hard wired or EOP to connect back to the switch or router. However these are commonly called WiFi repeaters.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom