Charging at motorway service stations

Also did Benbecula via Uig. Turns out that an EV on a single track island gives 4.7 miles per kWh - speed rarely hits 50mph and regen really helps with slowing and acceleration from passing places.

I'm currently documenting a novice's stream-of-consciousness thoughts about how to handle a trip from just south of Edinburgh to Brighton next month (returning two days later), in the MG4 subforum. I have a provisional plan, but as you've done a very similar trip - indeed longer, as mine will be about 900 miles - maybe you could come by and share your experience.

I saw the Gridserve complement at Burton-in-Kendal and I'll definitely be using that to get up to over 90% for my last leg home on the way back. I want to use Killington Lake on the outward journey but the last time I was there, there were only two or three chargers (with a Tesla charging at one). I like that Roadchef. But having said that, I should be able to make Kirkby Lonsdale easily enough if there's trouble, although that does involve a 12-mile detour.

I don't have Banbury on my list, but it sounds as if it's worth a look. I'm actually looking at Longbridge (Warwick) and Cherwell Valley for that stretch, but I'll bear Banbury in mind.

We're almost spoiled for choice!
How about an alternative route to explore ! Now I wouldn't blame you for dismissing this out of hand, but, the difference in mileage and supposed time is negligible compared with M6 and M40.
How about turning left off the M6 at Junction 40 onto route 66 (sorry the A66) across to Richmond and hit the A1M south from Richmond all the way via M1 to the M25. New places to enjoy, new chargers to explore ! :)

Most route planners won't offer this route initially, probably wisely :unsure: ,but if you add a stop at Moto Wetherby it will create the route (12 Gridserve and 188 miles from West Linton).

P.S. Banbury Instavolt is well worth a visit, just for the scale of it, 32 chargers, but once again no cover and miles from the coffee shop and no other facilities. If weather is bad I would go a little further off to the Ospreys at Banbury Cross Retail park with a few more facilities.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Before I lived in Sussex I lived in Hertfordshire, and actually bought my first car in Welwyn Garden City. So I know the southern part of the route to some extent.

I have to say at the moment I'm attracted by driving the route I already know, and so won't get lost on, but if this goes well I might be doing it more often. I never did this in the Golf, I took the plane, but the MG is such a relaxing drive I think I'd prefer it to battling through airport security.

How was charging on the Long Island?
Long Island was fine - even with several chargers not working - aided by the 4.7 miles/kWh which is a result of the lower speed on the single track roads.

Weather has an impact - this is the charger at Uig ferry terminal - salt water environment.
IMG_6741.jpg

For members not familiar the Long Island is a translation of the Gaelic for the Outer Hebrides, the long chain of islands. Several are now connected by causeways, hence staying on Benbecula gives ferry free access to Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, Grimsay, South Uist and Eriskay.

Mostly used the 50kW CPS charger at Liniclate. Was in use twice over our week, once by a white MG ZS. 20p/kWh, so very affordable.

Slow enough for a short stroll past the Dark Island Hotel to the beach - no queues here either.

IMG_6810.jpg

For members not familiar the Long Island is a translation of the Gaelic for the Outer Hebrides, the long chain of islands. Several are now connected by causeways, hence staying on Benbecula gives ferry free access to Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, Grimsay, South Uist and Eriskay.

Mostly used the 50kW CPS charger at Liniclate. Was in use twice over our week, once by a white MG ZS. 20p/kWh, so very affordable.

Slow enough for a short stroll past the Dark Island Hotel to the beach - no queues here either.
Don't tell them about it, they'll all be wanting to come....

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Before I lived in Sussex I lived in Hertfordshire, and actually bought my first car in Welwyn Garden City. So I know the southern part of the route to some extent.

I have to say at the moment I'm attracted by driving the route I already know, and so won't get lost on, but if this goes well I might be doing it more often. I never did this in the Golf, I took the plane, but the MG is such a relaxing drive I think I'd prefer it to battling through airport security.
It's easy to stick to the well trodden path and we all do it including me.
It might be an opportunity to do a circular trip, down one way back the other, after all once on a motorway it's follow your nose rather than anything more complicated.

How about an alternative route to explore ! Now I wouldn't blame you for dismissing this out of hand, but, the difference in mileage and supposed time is negligible compared with M6 and M40.
How about turning left off the M6 at Junction 40 onto route 66 (sorry the A66) across to Richmond and hit the A1M south from Richmond all the way via M1 to the M25. New places to enjoy, new chargers to explore ! :)

Most route planners won't offer this route initially, probably wisely :unsure: ,but if you add a stop at Moto Wetherby it will create the route (12 Gridserve and 188 miles from West Linton).

I've now had a look, and realise that I know that route quite well too, and it's actually one I like less.

I have friends who live in Halifax. Before I moved back to Scotland I used to call in to stay a night or two with them on my way home for Christmas. That's pretty much the way I went. I still go to stay with them at Christmas, and on Boxing Day everyone piles into the available cars and drives to somewhere near Hinckley to spend the day with my friend's brother and his family. The M1 again.

The first year I had a car, and was driving home from Hatfield for the first Christmas - not intending to stay with my friends on that occasion - I actually took a wrong turning, missed the M6, and was well up the M1 before I realised my mistake. I can't remember how I got back to the M6, only that I was very late indeed. Traumatic memories!

I don't know the stretch from Penrith to Wetherby, which does look very nice - I usually cross the Pennines on the A65. But the rest of it, I'd rather give it a miss.

I've now had a look, and realise that I know that route quite well too, and it's actually one I like less.

I have friends who live in Halifax. Before I moved back to Scotland I used to call in to stay a night or two with them on my way home for Christmas. That's pretty much the way I went. I still go to stay with them at Christmas, and on Boxing Day everyone piles into the available cars and drives to somewhere near Hinckley to spend the day with my friend's brother and his family. The M1 again.

The first year I had a car, and was driving home from Hatfield for the first Christmas - not intending to stay with my friends on that occasion - I actually took a wrong turning, missed the M6, and was well up the M1 before I realised my mistake. I can't remember how I got back to the M6, only that I was very late indeed. Traumatic memories!

I don't know the stretch from Penrith to Wetherby, which does look very nice - I usually cross the Pennines on the A65. But the rest of it, I'd rather give it a miss.
That's perfectly fair, the beauty of the route, other than the A66 is that once you get on the A1(M) at Richmond you just follow your nose south A1M near Leeds to the M1 all the way to London (M25), no turnings to miss.
Although having said that when I travel to the south coast Southampton area I do turn off to hit the M40 and A34, but as you ae heading to the west of Brighton the M25 would be better.
Enjoy your trip anyway. :)

It's straightforward enough, it's just that for various reasons it's a road I don't much like. I expect I'll find myself on it at some point anyway. Very possibly Boxing Day...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom