• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging at motorway service stations

Another interesting government document on this issue.

SAU: Referral details

As far as I can see this was published on the 3 May with the final report to be published on 15 June. It raised several questions.
  1. Who referred this?
  2. Why was so little time given for submissions?
  3. Why was this called a pilot phase when no mention of this was given in the original government paper?
  4. Since not 1p has so far been spent is there now a likelihood that the completion date of END of 2023 will not be reached?
I will report the conclusion of this REFERRAL when it is published.

I'm not sure what you think this is but I this referral to the Subsidy Advice Unit is a statutory requirement for any government sponsored subsidy over £1m ( - there are alternative triggers) to make sure the scheme has a clear framework and set of criteria which assure an organisation (public authority) that grants being made are compliant with the subsidy controls.

The OZEV requested the report. They are, I understand , the overall purse keepers for the RCF scheme.

Who would you expect submissions to come from for this? I can't imagine there are many (any?) interested parties outside the OZEV hence the timeframe for submissions doesn't need to be that long.

The pilot part of the RCF is the partial government funding of upgrading the grid at motorway service areas where it is not commercially viable to do so. The document I read the other day said the pilot will open in mid 2023, subject to satisfactory completion of subsidy control checks (which will be 15 June if the published timetable is maintained).

What are you expecting to see by end 2023?

I don't see this referral as having much relevance to us, it's just one of those government control back room things which regularly takes place without us even knowing. Unless you can say different...

OK keeping to my word here is a copy of the letter I am sending to my local MP. Please feel free to copy, use, edit if you would be willing to write to your representative.

Mr Colin **********
*******, * *
colin@********************
(telephone)******************
27/05/2023

Rt Hon James Heappey
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Subject: Concerns Regarding Insufficient Charging Infrastructure at Motorway Service Areas and the Lack of Progress with the Rapid Charger Fund 2020 Commitment

Dear Mr. Heappey,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to bring your attention to a critical issue that I have personally experienced regarding the lack of sufficient rapid charging infrastructure for electric vehicles at motorway service areas in England. It has come to my attention that several service areas either have no charge points available or only a limited number, with many of them being out of order or in disrepair. This situation poses significant challenges for electric vehicle owners and undermines the government's commitment to promoting sustainable transportation.

As an electric vehicle owner myself, I have had the unfortunate experience of encountering service areas with inadequate charging infrastructure. This has resulted in significant inconvenience and added stress during my journeys. The lack of reliable and functional charge points not only hampers my ability to travel with ease but also limits the accessibility and attractiveness of electric vehicles to a wider audience.

Considering the government's promise to install at least 6 high-powered chargepoints at motorway service areas, capable of delivering 150 - 350 kilowatts, by the end of 2023, the current state of affairs is deeply concerning. It is disheartening to witness broken or insufficient charge points, as it goes against the spirit of progress and sustainability that we should be striving for.

I kindly request your urgent attention to this matter and urge you to take the following actions:

Investigation: Initiate an investigation into the progress of the Rapid Charging fund allocation and the state of charging infrastructure at motorway service areas, particularly focusing on the areas with inadequate or dysfunctional charge points. Identify the reasons behind these shortcomings and address them promptly.

Repairs and Upgrades: Allocate the necessary resources to facilitate the repair and upgrade the existing charge points by suppliers to ensure their proper functioning. It is vital to have a reliable and well-maintained charging network that meets the demands of electric vehicle owners and encourages further adoption.

Expansion of Charging Infrastructure: Implement the Rapid Charger fund to enable the expansion of the charging infrastructure at motorway service areas as promised. This will not only meet the immediate demand but also accommodate the future growth of electric vehicles. This includes installing additional charge points and ensuring their regular maintenance and monitoring.

Transparency and Communication: Enhance transparency and communication regarding the progress of the Rapid Charger fund programme and the installation of charge points at motorway service areas. Regular updates and clear timelines will help restore public trust and confidence in the government's commitment to sustainable transportation.

I believe that by addressing these issues and investing in reliable and accessible charging infrastructure, we can foster the growth of electric vehicle adoption and contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

I kindly request your prompt attention and action on this matter, as it affects not only electric vehicle owners like myself but also the broader goal of achieving a sustainable and low-carbon future.

Thank you for your understanding and support. I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,

Oh Smokie your not a politician by any chance?

Here is the direct promise given by the government on 14th May 2020

Government vision for the rapid chargepoint network in England

and here is the specific section:-

The following ambitions will be supported by the Rapid Charging Fund to assist where the electrical connection costs of upgrading sites to meet future charging demand is not commercially viable.
  • By 2023, we aim to have at least 6 high powered, open access chargepoints (150 - 350 kilowatt capable) at motorway service areas in England, with some larger sites having as many as 10-12. We are confident this will be more than enough to meet demand from electric vehicles by this date. These high powered chargepoints are able to charge up to 3 times faster than most of the chargepoints currently in place, and can deliver around 120-145 miles of range in just 15 minutes for a typical electric vehicle.

Pretty unambiguous really and hardly back room stuff.

No I'm not a politician but a bit of due diligence never goes amiss :)

So that was a stated aim in 2020 (which isn't quite the same as a full on commitment). A lot has happened since then which has caused many projects to slip, and has changed the EV landscape. I'm not making any excuses for the government but I really can't get my panties too tangled over a modest shortage of chargers until it actually happens.

I seem to be winding you up smokie which was never my intention when starting this thread. The important issue is I suspect we all want the best for our EV driving. I have now posted my question to my MP and I will keep on top of this here and more broadly in the EV community. We are all free to dissagree, ignore, or champion whatever we think needs our time or effort to see progress.

Peace
jim henson chef GIF

I've never used WhatThreeWords because it seems to be re-inventing the wheel at least as far as Great Britain is concerned. We were all taught how to use OS grid references at school - weren't we? That's what I was always used to using at work when it came to the location of a wildlife fatality or casualty for example. The guys out in the field had devices that would give an eight-digit OS location. At least. Pinpoints the location within inches. I've got the OS maps on my phone.
Just as an addendum to this and What 3 Words.
In the W3W app you have located the place you want to go to, then click the 'navigate' button it passes the job of routing to your chosen satnav app..........drum roll.......with the destination as the OS grid reference.
So it's not really a re-invention of the wheel, but a more user friendly application of it.

I seem to be winding you up smokie
No you're not, but bothering your MP to complain because something hasn't apparently happened which wasn't due to happen for another few months anyway seems a bit time consuming for everyone when there are genuinely important things out there to focus on. And just chucking up a link with implications that they are support the argument without really bothering to have read them and understand what they are about smells a bit of fake news or something like that.

But no, it's not winding me up, I do sometimes like to challenge stuff which is raised on open forums to try to ensure some balance.

I am challenged as my friends frequently point out.

Today I called into the Sedgemoor Service Area North, on the M5. I was at 40% and thought it would be good to top up as after Costco Bristol it was straight back home. All of the only 2 CCS rapid connections chargers were in use and its impossible to queue because of the location of the chargers on the one way system of the carpark. So a failed charge on a major motorway Service area.

Fortunately I have very good rapid chargers in my town so I did survive with 18% available when Reached home. Not all of us have access to home chargers and Its fairly obvious that on long journeys we will use a lot of motorways. Service areas are the logical places to put rapid chargers so why has the government not acted on their own committment to have at least 6-12 rapid chargers in all english service areas by the end of 2023?

You'll have seen this? Fulham, I think it is. Yes, great anywhere, but it's especially what we should be seeing on motorways. None of this two-chargers-open-to-the-elements-in-a-deserted-corner-of-the-car-park for the future.

1685551106982.png

It's still 2023.

The document you linked to earlier said it was an aim, which is not the same as a promise. It also says that "Currently, a driver is never more than 25 miles away from a rapid (50 kilowatt) chargepoint anywhere along England’s motorways and major A roads" which I found interesting.

One could say existing charging availability on long journeys was known at the time you bought the EV, so maybe you buying an EV at the moment was a bit premature for your circumstances. I have mates who often say they couldn't manage with an EV because of exactly that reason, and I tell them they are right, and to wait because it will improve in time.

Anyway, glad you managed to scrape home :)

I don't see what evcog's circumstances have to do with it. Unavailability of chargers at motorway service stations affects everyone, whether or not they have home-charging capability. Unless you're saying that nobody who might go further from home than would be possible using a single charge for the round trip should buy an EV.

I've never used WhatThreeWords because it seems to be re-inventing the wheel at least as far as Great Britain is concerned. We were all taught how to use OS grid references at school - weren't we? That's what I was always used to using at work when it came to the location of a wildlife fatality or casualty for example. The guys out in the field had devices that would give an eight-digit OS location. At least. Pinpoints the location within inches. I've got the OS maps on my phone.
in my opinion its an improved wheel for the average user.

Here in Leatherhead Surrey, the council has been working hard at providing charge points. if you are on the M25 dive off. don't know what provision is like at Cobham Services but Leatherhead offers a decent welcome.

"The gulf between the number of electric vehicles on the road and public charge points has more than doubled in parts of the country in a year.

Industry figures obtained by The Times show that the gap widened in all but one region last year, casting a shadow over the government’s attempt to boost uptake of EVs."

The Times 31.5.23

Bad news. Lamentable government effort. Will they ever get their finger out and actually deliver on their innumerable promises?

It's still 2023.

The document you linked to earlier said it was an aim, which is not the same as a promise. It also says that "Currently, a driver is never more than 25 miles away from a rapid (50 kilowatt) chargepoint anywhere along England’s motorways and major A roads" which I found interesting.

One could say existing charging availability on long journeys was known at the time you bought the EV, so maybe you buying an EV at the moment was a bit premature for your circumstances. I have mates who often say they couldn't manage with an EV because of exactly that reason, and I tell them they are right, and to wait because it will improve in time.

Anyway, glad you managed to scrape home :)

Sorry Smokie but I totally disagree. I'm not raising the point for me. Forget about me. The 'AIM' was funded March 2020 budget.

I have given all the links in the following post:-

Thwarted by iSmart gosh dang it

The specific passage of the policy document states:-

Government will be working with the operators of major service areas to ensure that this charging provision is in place ahead of customer demand. The aim is to help support early adoption of electric vehicles and remove range anxiety concerns for drivers on long journeys.

Under our vision we expect that any new chargepoints will be easy to use and hassle-free.

That means:

• drivers can pay for the cost of charging their vehicle using debit or credit card payment
  • information about the chargepoints on motorways will be openly available, helping drivers choose when, where and how they charge
  • chargepoints will be available 99% of the time
  • drivers will be supported by 24/7 customer care to handle any technical issues
  • sites will have chargepoints that support all types of electric vehicles
  • there will be clear pricing information available in pence per kilowatt hour
Working with industry, the government will continue to monitor the number of chargepoints being installed across our motorways and the associated customer experience.

We have powers under the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act to bring in regulations if necessary, to improve the consumer experience of using electric vehicle charging infrastructure and to ensure levels of chargepoint provision at key sites such as motorway service areas.

Unfortunately they have delayed talking to the operators untill this year even though the budget was agreed by Parliament in 2020.

If we are to encourage more drivers to move to EVs we must make sure that our Motorway system is in the forefront rather than trailing behind what has happened in our cities and towns. My town has 10 rapid chargers and over 16 fast chargers most installed over the last 3 months. I have never had range anxiety other than when using the southern and south western motorway system.

You are welcome to disagree but my aim is much broader than my own personal needs.

I don't see what evcog's circumstances have to do with it. Unavailability of chargers at motorway service stations affects everyone, whether or not they have home-charging capability. Unless you're saying that nobody who might go further from home than would be possible using a single charge for the round trip should buy an EV.
The point which I think was in my mind was that the availability of m'way chargers is not news to most of us. While I'm not saying that people should not buy EVs as a result, I personally wouldn't have bought an EV had it been such an issue for me as it appears to be for others, and I have supported my mates who expressed that concern.

Isn't it fair to say that in order to be leaders in the EV revolution we should accept that there will be some obstacles along the way? There is ongoing and continual change and improvement which will eventually the situation but as an early adopter one ought not be surprised that they have to accept a bit of rough with the smooth.

You are welcome to disagree but my aim is much broader than my own personal needs.

I'm not really disagreeing but you do appear to have an axe which is requiring regular grinding! :) You have repeatedly stated that the government has missed their 2023 target when we are only in early June. Maybe the prospects for achieving the target aren't great but there are some other more serious issues which have arisen and are ongoing since that aim was stated which might have distracted them - and I would prefer that resources were directed at those more significant issues than whether there are two , four ten or fifty chargers at each m'way service station by some fairly arbitrarily chosen date. It's all about perspective.

I look forward to the government achieving the aimed for deadline in 6 months. I mean surely it takes no time for major infrastructure to be built? I mean its only like building a small town. How long could it take?
I will continue to campaign on ensuring that barriers to EV adoption are available to all along with, Quentin Willson, the Fully Charged Show team, the charger compainies who have been trying to get movement out of the government for 3 years. If you don't like that then move onto other threads.

Come on people, let's play nice. Everybody is different. Some enjoy the adventure of long distance EV travel, where some just want to get from A to B as they would in a fossil car.

The last couple of years have been far from normal, so I think we can cut the government a bit of slack. If they haven't ramped up by the end of the year, then they deserve everything they get.

Come on people, let's play nice. Everybody is different. Some enjoy the adventure of long distance EV travel, where some just want to get from A to B as they would in a fossil car.

The last couple of years have been far from normal, so I think we can cut the government a bit of slack. If they haven't ramped up by the end of the year, then they deserve everything they get.
"The adventure of long distance EV travel" ho ho ho.

Also amused by the rather desperate explanation that HMG have been busy screwing up really big important stuff, so their abject performance providing relatively trivial adequate motorway charging facilities is to be excused. We have a SoS for Transport that we pay £180k a year to sort this out!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom