Charging at Tesla Chargepoints

It’s good to know that they are opening up to non Tesla drivers and that they appear to be simple to use and that the MG4 charging port is in the right place. I don’t know if their prices vary from site to site but they seem a decent price per KW as compared with most others.

There seem to be something like two Tesla charging sites open to the plebs in the whole of Scotland. Too bad if you aren't anywhere near Dundee of Aviemore, it seems.

There seem to be something like two Tesla charging sites open to the plebs in the whole of Scotland. Too bad if you aren't anywhere near Dundee of Aviemore, it seems.
And 5 out of 6 in Wales. Only Bridgend is still restricted to just Teslas.
The public ones are:-
  • Flint Mountain
  • Aberystwyth
  • Carmarthen
  • Cardiff
  • Newport

Dont forget to check out, MFG, they are installing them all over the mainly England, and normally have between 8 - 12 bays - so have never needed to queue todate - some are ideally placed, i.e. "hidden" very near motorway junctions (shhhhh - dont tell anyone) - and they always seem to just work (albeit I use the bonnet app) at 100Kw (or 83kw on my MG4)

IMG_4935.PNG

And 5 out of 6 in Wales. Only Bridgend is still restricted to just Teslas.
The public ones are:-
  • Flint Mountain
  • Aberystwyth
  • Carmarthen
  • Cardiff
  • Newport
I’ve used the Aberystwyth Tesla chargers last week, it was as easy as ABC, charged from 55% to 90% in about a time it took me to chomp down my Big Mac meal😀(probably 15 mins?)

I tried to charge my MG ZS EV at Flint Mountain Tesla Hub. Tried three different charge points but my car would not connect!!

Luckily there was a InstaVolt nearby at a McDonalds which I could use instead.

When I get back home I will be calling my local MG to ask why my car is not accepting the Tesla charger.
Do you think it’s a software update required? Anyone had this issue?

I tried to charge my MG ZS EV at Flint Mountain Tesla Hub. Tried three different charge points but my car would not connect!!

When I get back home I will be calling my local MG to ask why my car is not accepting the Tesla charger.
You might get an answer on the MG ZS forum as most of the people on here drive MG4s

I used Newport this week, just wanted a quick top on my Southampton - Cardiff-Swindon-Southampton round trip. Went from 35 to 70 percent in something like 12 or so minutes. Saw 142kW from the start until about 60% where it started to taper. Not a massive amount of time stopped to complete the 270 mile trip, got back with 20% left.

You have downloaded the wrong app. The one I have downloaded is called Tesla and when I look at my phone regarding what apps i
have it is there with the Tesla badge in white on a red background
Hi downloaded Tesla app, but but don’t see any option to register a NonTesla

My MG4 charges ok at that location.

Note about the Harrogate Tesla chargers at Crimple meadow - they are only accessible during business hours.

That was the case when they were first installed, then they went 24 hour, then they started locking the car park access again :(

Hi downloaded Tesla app, but but don’t see any option to register a NonTesla
I don’t think you can register a non Tesla l think it’s more a case of registering you as a person for an account and then once you have registered then when you open the app there is a tab that comes up as part of the menu to charge your non Tesla. As you can see after your message people has said they have no problem charging at Tesla’s chargers.

Not all Tesla’s chargers are open to all but there is more coming on line to all vehicles.

I was watching a YouTube video the other day from Dave Takes it on where he was saying that Tesla are upgrading a lot of chargers and making the cables longer and opening more to non Tesla’s too.

I saw that video too ... he was saying that the only reason the V4 chargers are coming with longer leads and contactless payment options is because they're going to be opened up to all (at some point).

I've used the Tesla chargers at lakeside just of the m25 and they are extremely easy to use and reasonably priced .
I've also used the mfg chargers in bexhill in Sussex which are very good but pricey .

Note that when registering on the Tesla app, it won't let you use the word "tesla" as part of your email address.

Context: I own my own domain name, and use "company@my_domain" format for email registrations. For this reason, my Tesla app is using "edison@my_domain" as an email

Note that when registering on the Tesla app, it won't let you use the word "tesla" as part of your email address.

Context: I own my own domain name, and use "company@my_domain" format for email registrations. For this reason, my Tesla app is using "edison@my_domain" as an email
Is that a recent thing? My Tesla app account uses a Gmail address with "+tesla" before the @ and this was accepted just fine.

I saw that video too ... he was saying that the only reason the V4 chargers are coming with longer leads and contactless payment options is because they're going to be opened up to all (at some point).
The Tesla decision to open up some chargers to other makes predates the UK mandates on chargers that came in this year. The V4 design likewise was done before these rules existed.

Tesla developed the longer leads because with the short ones many makes of car have to park across two bays to reach or even perpendicular to the bays, which is disruptive to other users.

Under the new rules they will have to open them all AND install contactless payment and a screen/other way to show charging costs. However, the rules mean there's at least a couple of years before they have to do this and it is likely enforcement will be lacking, so older chargers without these features may be around for many years.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back