Charging Cables

Siteguru,
I think 4m should be ok. I only plan on using mine in an emergency, generally plan for home charging 90% of the time, then dc fast chargers for longer journeys.
Paul

I still can’t get a definitive answer on what type of charging cable/cables come with the MG4.
I’ve now spoken to several dealers.
‘It depends/varies’ I’ve been told by some dealers, they are coming through with a type 2 only by others.
Surely it must be supplied with a 3 pin charge cable as standard so that you can at least charge at home if you don’t have a wall box?
The 3 pin charger has been seen as an emergency charger amongst other things, so it should absolutely be standard supply with the car.
I was told today, the first batch into the UK, came with type 2 but now all come with the 3 pin plug (granny)

I was told today, the first batch into the UK, came with type 2 but now all come with the 3 pin plug (granny)
I ordered mine today for a March delivery and was told it wont come standard with a 3-pin but instead a type 2. I rolled around about it and he said that he'd throw in a 3-pin but it would be a spare laying around the garage.

I got a Trophy it charged this fast on a type 2 ac charger.
Screenshot_20221201_184623_MG iSMART.jpg

It was a tethered DC charger at Lidl,they are for Zoe's ,my cable is only 7 kW tempted on the 32A tesla cable,but Wife would kill me,not many 22kW untethered chargers about.
Just wanted to see if my Trophy had 11kW

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a tethered dc charger at Lidl,they are for Zoe's ,my cable is only 7 kW tempted on the 32A tesla cable,but Wife would kill me,not many 22kW unteathered chargers about.

Just wanted to see if my Trophy had 11kW
All connectedkerb chargers are 11 or 22kW untethered.

I ordered mine today for a March delivery and was told it wont come standard with a 3-pin but instead a type 2. I rolled around about it and he said that he'd throw in a 3-pin but it would be a spare laying around the garage.
Ordered mine yesterday, told 20 weeks (April) delivery, also said Definetly comes with granny 3 pin plug. I want the type 2 but dealer wouldn’t budge on anything, even mats!

Ordered mine yesterday, told 20 weeks (April) delivery, also said Definetly comes with granny 3 pin plug. I want the type 2 but dealer wouldn’t budge on anything, even mats!

It's that thing that there's more buyers than cars, so no need to offer sweeteners.

Some dealers are saying definitely 3 pin some are saying definitely type 2!

That’s interesting! I did get the mats thrown in and the 3D reg plate too.

Would be just nice to be 100% sure what I’ll receive, so I can order the other if I need it!
Speak with your dealer and save what is stated. Then if it changes you can go back to him/her with what you were told. But I believe it will be a 3 pin cable for UK.

Some dealers are saying definitely 3 pin some are saying definitely type 2!
I suspect they don't know 100% as it is a bit of a mix, most if not all now come with 3 pin granny chargers. Early deliveries came with type 2 due to shortage of parts. This seems to have been overcome.
I would think any dealer that is adamant it will be a type 2 is likely to lose face when it turns up with a granny charger.

Last edited:
Hi couple of options here I think go back and tell the dealer what you want if that’s a Type 2 like you say you want tell him/her that’s what I you want.
2nd use a different dealer who will give you what you want I bet you your currant dealer will soon change their attitude went you say Ok cancel the order if you can’t give me what I want I’m going else where and stand your ground.

At this rate next thing we will be hearing is sorry you can’t have a Black one only blue or red, well no thank you.

When we picked ours up in the boot was a Type 2 we said don’t what that cable would like a granny 3 pin type answer was sorry we have none I said that’s no good to us and not what we order need a 3 pin after 10 minutes one turned up from another car and sales chap said I can swap it for this but it as been used with another car that’s not a problem I said and the swap was done also came with mats as request also when ordered. You my friend are the customer.
Les

Hi couple of options here I think go back and tell the dealer what you want if that’s a Type 2 like you say you want tell him/her that’s what I you want.
2nd use a different dealer who will give you what you want I bet you your currant dealer will soon change their attitude went you say Ok cancel the order if you can’t give me what I want I’m going else where and stand your ground.

At this rate next thing we will be hearing is sorry you can’t have a Black one only blue or red, well no thank you.

When we picked ours up in the boot was a Type 2 we said don’t what that cable would like a granny 3 pin type answer was sorry we have none I said that’s no good to us and not what we order need a 3 pin after 10 minutes one turned up from another car and sales chap said I can swap it for this but it as been used with another car that’s not a problem I said and the swap was done also came with mats as request also when ordered. You my friend are the customer.
Les
My actual sales person is back in on 2nd January, so will call and have the chat to discuss it all.
Thanks

Charging cables appear to be a hot topic.
A word of caution about purchasing a 3 phase charging cable as it may not deliver the charge you expected from a single phase supply.
The following information was seen on:

Important Note About 11kW Cables: 11kW cables (3 Phase, 16A) are not usually ideal as a general
charging cable in the UK. This is due to the fact that most EVSE (Charge points) in the UK are single-
phase only. This would cause your 11kW cable to charge at 1 phase, 16A which is a 3.6kW charge rate,
the slowest you can get! Most users would benefit more from a 7.2kW charging cable or the heavier
22kW charging cable.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel