Charging door pin

Xerker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I broke the charging door pin when struggling to close it during the cold weather earlier on in the year. I have since learned by my mistake but I would really like to fix it without having to spend hundreds on an entirely new door. The charging door pin is actually a removable part which leads me to believe that there are spares that can be bought but my searching has come to nothing.

Is there anyone here who can shed any light on how I might find the part number for the pin in the charging door?

Hi,

I broke the charging door pin when struggling to close it during the cold weather earlier on in the year. I have since learned by my mistake but I would really like to fix it without having to spend hundreds on an entirely new door. The charging door pin is actually a removable part which leads me to believe that there are spares that can be bought but my searching has come to nothing.

Is there anyone here who can shed any light on how I might find the part number for the pin in the charging door?
Only by asking your dealer who will probably have to order it anyway.
Another option, is there a local small engineering company who could make one for you?

How much is a whole new door?
I’m guessing a lot, as the only one I can see used off eBay is £200…. 😮
Someone should be able to 3D scan and plastic print a new one near you.

Actually…
Why aren’t you going for a warranty claim?
I bloody would, it’s not your fault the flap pin freezes easily and then breaks.
I well remember thumping the frozen door in my 4 in frustration too.
The ZS charge port door is equally flimsy apparently.

Not any help to you but first thing I did when I got mine in Feb was to smear petroleum jelly around the seal so it wouldn't stick and also on the locking mechanism. Before the winter I will be doing it again. Have you checked with your dealer about getting it fixed under warranty? Or wether this is a separate part of the whole door assembly.

Not any help to you but first thing I did when I got mine in Feb was to smear petroleum jelly around the seal so it wouldn't stick and also on the locking mechanism. Before the winter I will be doing it again. Have you checked with your dealer about getting it fixed under warranty? Or wether this is a separate part of the whole door assembly.
Ive tried a warranty claim but they are arguing its my fault and want to charge £700 for a whole new replacement charging port. I wish I was any good at/knew someone who was any good at 3D printing. Its a tiny plastic part no bigger than a biro lid!

Ive tried a warranty claim but they are arguing its my fault and want to charge £700 for a whole new replacement charging port. I wish I was any good at/knew someone who was any good at 3D printing. Its a tiny plastic part no bigger than a biro lid!

Blimey….
Mind you on the ZS it needs bumper removal to access and replace.
Oh well there’s a used one on eBay for £200.
It’s black but the coloured part will clip on and off yours.

Blimey….
Mind you on the ZS it needs bumper removal to access and replace.
Oh well there’s a used one on eBay for £200.
It’s black but the coloured part will clip on and off yours.
I know... My partner gave birth shortly after enquiring so I didnt bother arguing the point I just havent said anything back to them as its ridiculous! I will solve this somehow!

are there any instructions on how to take the coloured part off? Being able to do that would be really handy.

I know... My partner gave birth shortly after enquiring so I didnt bother arguing the point I just havent said anything back to them as its ridiculous! I will solve this somehow!

are there any instructions on how to take the coloured part off? Being able to do that would be really handy.
This is ridiculous, its covered under the warranty : EV CHARGING POINT DOOR & CABLE 12 MONTHS

The outer cover usually slides off, but its very easy to damage something, if its out of warranty then maybe give it a go, but go back to the dealer on this - as its clearly not fit for purpose if its already broken in a few months - due to freezing temperatures?

This is ridiculous, its covered under the warranty : EV CHARGING POINT DOOR & CABLE 12 MONTHS

The outer cover usually slides off, but its very easy to damage something, if its out of warranty then maybe give it a go, but go back to the dealer on this - as its clearly not fit for purpose if its already broken in a few months - due to freezing temperatures?
Thanks for that. 12 months is up in October so I will get back to them and see about getting a new pin put in.

Yeah the freezing tempeatures meant that it wouldnt close and then it snapped when I tried!

Hi,

Try find apart, breakers yard there could be a write off, just a thought

Hi,

Try find apart, breakers yard there could be a write off, just a thought

Hi Xerker, there's a chap in Telford called Oliver Williams who has done 3D printing for me. Here's his details:
Printotype Ltd. Mobile: 07929130201
Email: [email protected]
Hope this helps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video