Charging issue

paulus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
For three years I have owned an electric car (Hyundai Ioniq) and have a Pod Point home charger. The Ioniq's scheduler occasionally failed (usually when you most needed it), so I found that the VERY reliable method was to use the scheduler in the Pod Point. So I would return home, plug the charger in, lock the car, and go to bed with the certainty that in the morning the car was charged.

My Trophy arrived yesterday. It was charged to 83%, so I: set the car to charge to 100%, plugged the Pod Point in, locked the car (6.30pm) and went to bed. In the morning - no charge had been taken! Am I missing a step??

ALSO - I get very confused by the "manual". On page 174 - Residential Charging; instruction 1 Ensure the vehicle is powered off. Then in the note at the end
"If at any time during the charging process you should want to check the state of charge, please power off the vehicle."?? How can you power off a vehicle that is already powered off??

For three years I have owned an electric car (Hyundai Ioniq) and have a Pod Point home charger. The Ioniq's scheduler occasionally failed (usually when you most needed it), so I found that the VERY reliable method was to use the scheduler in the Pod Point. So I would return home, plug the charger in, lock the car, and go to bed with the certainty that in the morning the car was charged.

My Trophy arrived yesterday. It was charged to 83%, so I: set the car to charge to 100%, plugged the Pod Point in, locked the car (6.30pm) and went to bed. In the morning - no charge had been taken! Am I missing a step??

ALSO - I get very confused by the "manual". On page 174 - Residential Charging; instruction 1 Ensure the vehicle is powered off. Then in the note at the end
"If at any time during the charging process you should want to check the state of charge, please power off the vehicle."?? How can you power off a vehicle that is already powered
Deleted

"If at any time during the charging process you should want to check the state of charge, please power off the vehicle."?? How can you power off a vehicle that is already powered off??
My first thought is that your charging management on the car is set to max of 80% which is the default on the Trophy so no charge would happen . You can alter this on the car or the app to 100% if you want to.

Thanks for helping. However, the charge limit was set to 100% by iSmart and confirmed in the car. Interestingly, this morning I took the schedule off the Pod Point, plugged it in, told it to charge, and it started to charge straight away. It's as though the car has a time-out; it tries to charge, nothing from the charger, and after some time it decides to give up. Could that be possible?

Thanks for helping. However, the charge limit was set to 100% by iSmart and confirmed in the car. Interestingly, this morning I took the schedule off the Pod Point, plugged it in, told it to charge, and it started to charge straight away. It's as though the car has a time-out; it tries to charge, nothing from the charger, and after some time it decides to give up. Could that be possible?
Yes it's possible. Only set the charging schedule on either the charger on on the car, not both otherwise the electronic handshakes get confused and nothing happens.

The car will not time-out waiting for a charge. I use Octopus Agile and my car can sit plugged in for 12hrs and will only have one or two charge windows where it actually charges. The only time ive seen this before is when someone locked and unlocked the car and left it unlocked AND when my ohme charger set a charge limit in the number of miles to add. I often have to tell it to ignore that and jsut charge as much as possible in the time slots you have

Thanks. It is possible that I entered the car some time after the charger was set, this may have interrupted it. Will try again this evening. Thanks all.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back