JDMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I did a search of this forum before posting but couldn’t find the answer, but I’m fascinated by the clunking noises being made when the car is charging.

Does anyone know what they’re all about? I imagine some are the locking mechanism but there seems to be others too.

I did a search of this forum before posting but couldn’t find the answer, but I’m fascinated by the clunking noises being made when the car is charging.

Does anyone know what they’re all about? I imagine some are the locking mechanism but there seems to be others too.
A few various I can think of. Main clunks are contactors to connect the high voltage system. Plus turn on the AC inverter and battery management system which is onboard (up to 7/11kW). DC fast charging works a little different. Yes, a click for the lock holding the plug in. Prime the cooling/heating system so it can turn on/off as required.

Last edited:
Are you sure they are all coming from the charging process?

The car makes a few clunks and clicks and electrical noises when you unlock/sit down and again when you get out/lock.

I was wary of this when I first got the car, but a friend who is an EV O.G. and has had almost everything from the original Leaf, to his current model Y, tells me that these sounds are perfectly normal.

It could be the same noises when you connect/disconnect a charger to the HV battery, plus the charger lock. I've not really noticed any noises for a while.

If you’re outside and open/refresh the app the circuit tripping on for 12v to read sensors causes a small few clicks. All normal 🙂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back