Charging Port Light - Your Thoughts ?.

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I know the lack of this item annoys some of our night time charging members.
I also find it difficult to locate the charging cable into the socket, when plugging in on the drive, late at night.
The lift up door does not help the situation, because it shields any light trying to enter the recessed socket port.
Back in the day, I would have hard wired up some type of 12 volt lamp that could actioned by a micro switch when the flap was lifted.
It was not a major issue, but it was an issue that I wanted to fix without too much bother or alterations to the car.
Today, while out and about shopping, I spotted something that is really cheap / quick and easy fix for the price of £1 !!!!!.
It's not going to win any design awards folks, but sometimes, simple is best.
I have therefore installed the LED small "Key Fob Light" and tested it after dark, it works like a charm.
I will try and upload some images for anybody you maybe interested.
As you can see from one of the images, the small LED light was intended to be used on a key fob light or to hang from a ladies handbag.
It is powered by X2 replaceable coin cell batteries ( CR2032 included ) and has a push button switch on the face.
I think the batteries will last a long time, due to the short time frame it will be in use.
First I have removed the key chain ring and then cleaned an area inside of the charging port with some APA.
Any type of cleaner like meths or electrical contact cleaner will do the job.
There is a sticker on the back of the light, which I removed and then cleaned the back of the fob light.
Then with some strong two sided tape, I have located the light to the back of the charging port.
I have tried closing the charging flap with the light in place and it closes with no problem at all.
It does not get in the way of the charging lead when in use either ( see images ).
Oh ........ ( Don't laugh, I bought the light from "Pound Land" :ROFLMAO: .
I guess you COULD stick one to each of the plastic "B" post trims, for short use as interior lights ?????.
They had them in black / grey and red.

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

Neat solution :) Time was in pound land you could have a barrel of laughs asking how much things were. Sadly now the answer is quite often £1.99 or £4.99 🙄

Neat solution :) Time was in pound land you could have a barrel of laughs asking how much things were. Sadly now the answer is quite often £1.99 or £4.99 🙄
Bugger @ARealHuman - I did not pick up on that one :mad: !.
( A sound of a lot of rustling in a wallet for a receipt, can be clearly heard in the back ground :eek: ).
PHEW ! - Lucky escape folks, it was only £1 !!!!!.
Just popped outside to put the car on charge ( 22.20 ) and found the switch button on the light straight away.
Dear me, just how cheap can a fix be, the light is really bright !.
Massive improvement, for just a £1.
The CR2032 batteries will cost more than that to replace for god's sake.

Someone in this forum recommended a stick on LED light with a motion detector.
(On ebay: "Auto PIR Motion Sensor LED Wireless Door Keyhole Light Lamp Battery Night Lights" )
I have one, cost around £7 and it works fine. There are others for half that cost.

s-l1600.jpg

Would one of these lights fit on the back of the flap to shine towards the sockets without restricting the closure of the flap ?

Someone in this forum recommended a stick on LED light with a motion detector...
That's also the one we're using. Works great, and the motion sensor means it comes on automagically & doesn't chew the batteries.

Meanwhile we're still on the quest for a satisfactory interior light for the back seat.

Someone in this forum recommended a stick on LED light with a motion detector.
(On ebay: "Auto PIR Motion Sensor LED Wireless Door Keyhole Light Lamp Battery Night Lights" )
I have one, cost around £7 and it works fine. There are others for half that cost.

s-l1600.jpg
I’ve got one exactly like this, it fits in ok

Hi, what a great idea so I went to Poundland today and grabbed the last
2 on the shelf.
Thanks Wolfy
@Wolfy .
If you fix it to the same place as I did ( see image in post above ) you will not have any issues with the flap closing.
Just remember to clean the black plastic at the rear of the charging port with some APA etc, prior to attaching the light with some strong two sided tape.
I used the stuff that you can buy to fix number plates.
It’s not very thick, but it bonds really well.
Also, remove the sticker that is attached to the back case of the key fob first and cleaned the area, then apply you two sided tape to the light, then attach to the charge port.
Quick fix for a £1 👏 !!!!.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have now fitted the light but on a different position.
I have placed on the shelf below which allows the light to shine up. There is a slight dip in middle of the shelf and I have positioned to the left of this and I feel this
lights up better. The flap opens and shuts no problem,and.does not interfere with the charging plugs. Sorry but cannot send a pic. at mom camera playing up!
Kind regards Wolfy

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have now fitted the light but on a different position.
I have placed on the shelf below which allows the light to shine up. There is a slight dip in middle of the shelf and I have positioned to the left of this and I feel this
lights up better. The flap opens and shuts no problem,and.does not interfere with the charging plugs. Sorry but cannot send a pic. at mom camera playing up!
Kind regards Wolfy
You are very welcome @Wolfy .
I did fix the light with a small piece of double sided tape first, in different locations initially.
Checking with charging door closing clearances etc.
I did try fitting the light 💡 on the bottom of the charging port to be honest, but I was just a little concerned about water ingress 🌂 attacking the light.
So, that is why I decided to raise it up just a little.
When I tried it latter in the evening, I was really surprised just how well it provided light in the charging port area.
The LED light is very bright, so having it behind the flap, restricts the light from glaring into your eye’s.
Try it after dark, I think you will be surprised just how bright the light really is !.
Glad you liked the idea @Wolfy .
👍

nice fix, annoying that something like this wasn't added by default - don't get me started on how dark the back seats are at night when you need to put kids in etc....terrible design.

nice fix, annoying that something like this wasn't added by default - don't get me started on how dark the back seats are at night when you need to put kids in etc....terrible design.
Could you not fit one of these similar items onto the "B" post, fixed to the plastic trim ( above the seat belt mount ) on each side of the car ?.
You could then just open the rear door, reach around and press the switch, to turn on the light.
Then load each children into one side, then flick off the light, before closing the rear door.
Then rinse and repeat on the other side ?.
I agree, the car SHOULD have been equipped with lights in both the charge port and in the rear interior space, as standard equipment.
But "Hey Hoo" it did get missed out.
A little bit of a pain, but it can be resolved without too much bother.

This was my solution with a stick on light from a bargain shop (can't remember which one as it's been lying around in my man draw for ages :))

You have to stick it to one side otherwise it hits the flap catch and won't close. I hope Fatboyfat doesn't get to excited by these photos. :)
20221212_162807.jpg
20221212_162825.jpg

Edit: It might have been a pack of 3 from Poundland.

Last edited:
I don't think the charge flap should have any additional weight
I just use the follow me home function it works well

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom