Charging power is only 3kW

rububd

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I’ve a MG4 Excite 64. I’m using a MG 11kW 3 phase charger for my home charging. But I’m only getting 3kW charging power! What should be the reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
The cable is attached with 11kW charger box. I’m not sure about what tethered means!

Tethered means the charging cable is permanently wired into to the charger.

Also have a look at this thread. Your car might only have a single phase charger.

Tethered means the charging cable is permanently wired into to the charger.

Also have a look at this thread. Your car might only have a single phase charger.
I did charge the car in public charging station & it’s super fast. I didn’t check how much I was getting but the car was charged to 20%-80% within an hour

I’ve a MG4 Excite 64. I’m using a MG 11KWH 3 phase charger for my home charging. But I’m only getting 3KWH charging power! What should be the reason?
Has the car got 3 phase charging? check the charging socket on the car to see if the L2 and L3 holes have pins? If you have not then 3.5kW is about right.

I’ve a MG4 Excite 64. I’m using a MG 11KWH 3 phase charger for my home charging. But I’m only getting 3KWH charging power! What should be the reason?
Because:

i. your car has an on-board single phase AC charger (which can charge at up to 6.6 kW)
but
ii. your 11 kW 3-phase wall EVSE is only capable of supplying a maximum of 3.6 kW per phase

To charge at your car's maximum AC charge rate with a 3-phase wall EVSE, it needs to be a 22 kW model.

The alternative is to install a 7 kW single phase EVSE instead.

Has the car got 3 phase charging? check the charging socket on the car to see if the L2 and L3 holes have pins? If you have not then 3.5kW is about right.
Yes it has.

Attachments

• C021CEDC-A578-4ECB-A666-DA1A10B3997B.jpeg
    C021CEDC-A578-4ECB-A666-DA1A10B3997B.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 120
There are pins. My electrician said that he put 20amp circuit breaker in our board. Do you think that it may cause the issue?

There is no pins in the holes. From memory the excite does not have three phase charging hence why 3.5kw is the max you will get on a 11kw three phase charger. Your electrician has installed a 20A breaker which is correct. A 22kw three phase charger would be require to give a 7kw single phase charge and would require a 40A mcb for protection. P=sq root of 3 x voltage x current. 11kw is approx 16A

The only MG 4 with 3 phase charging capability is the Essence 77 Long range. This is published in the specifications on the MG Australia website. Pins 2 & 3 in the type 2 connector are blank. Swap your EVSE for a single phase 1 or upgrade to a 22kW 3 phase and you will charge happily at 6.6 kW as that is what the on board charging unit is capable of.

I think the 64 KWh models in the first (2022 model year) phase cars had it, but it was removed in the second phase ones. I don't know if any phase 1 cars were supplied to Australia though.

Well, he hasn't got three-phase charging then.

What is confusing me is why he's only getting 3 Kw though. My car doesn't have three-phase charging, it's an SR and they never had it, but when I'm on a type 2 charger I've seen 5.5 Kw or thereabouts. (I don't have a home charger, only a granny lead.) Why isn't he at least getting what I would get on a type 2? The car can do up to 7 Kw, isn't that right?

I can see some sort of technicalities in the middle of this that might explain it, but I could do with an idiot's guide about now.

Well, he hasn't got three-phase charging then.

What is confusing me is why he's only getting 3 Kw though. My car doesn't have three-phase charging, it's an SR and they never had it, but when I'm on a type 2 charger I've seen 5.5 Kw or thereabouts. (I don't have a home charger, only a granny lead.) Why isn't he at least getting what I would get on a type 2? The car can do up to 7 Kw, isn't that right?

I can see some sort of technicalities in the middle of this that might explain it, but I could do with an idiot's guide about now.
His 11kW 3-phase charger works by supplying 3x 3.6 kW. Without those extra 2 pins in the socket, the car is only seeing one of those.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back