Charging Speed Decrease

seamust1000

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Good Morning All

I have an X Power so normal 64kW battery and was charging CCS DC yesterday evening at 138kW on a Kempro Osprey charger.

Suddenly, there was a few of the usual clicks from the car, the spring type sound and the charge went down to 68kW.

There was no real reason for the charge to be throttled, I was at 20%, charging to 80% and this happened at 61%.

I moved to a different charger but still had the same speed of 68kW.

Any ideas why this would happen please?

Thanks

Charging speed drops as SOC rises, you will only get 138kW at low states of charge, it may be that the car decided it needed to throttle to 68kW to protect the battery. The other possibility is that the shared power for the charging station was limited by other users taking power at the same time and 68kW was the maximum.

These specific chargers usually display whether the charge is limited by the car or the site on their screens.

Thanks tsedge, it was only myself charging, no other vehicles...the screen did say that the car was controlling the charger.

I did have this issue on a Tesla charger last week, where I only got 68kW there too

Select 64kWh here : MG

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 47
I find I get the full 140kW up to just over 50% charge after that is always drops closer to 70ish kW. I assume it is the battery management doing its thing. Some reviewers now include the charge curve in their reports, as each vehicle and battery pack work in different ways

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel