Charging speed

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Using a 22kW type 2 PodPoint but it’s only charging at 5.9kW.

Battery was 56% charged so assume the lower rate is due to the battery level vs charging profile?

No, the charge wattage should be constant on AC charging whatever the SoC. The profile thing is only applicable to DC charging.

Maybe the charger is only delivering limited power for some reason. Other people plugged in to nearby connectors? On the same post? Or which car do you have? I think only the MY22 Trophies and possibly SE LRs can charge faster than about 7 Kw.

Do you have a car which supports 3-phase charging? (Check the charge port - it'll have pins in the L2 and L3 holes if it does). Note that even if it does, the MG4 will only support up to 11kW.

Are you using a 3-phase 22kW (32A) Type 2 charge cable? If you're using a single phase cable then you'll only ever get up to 7kW, regardless of what the charge point can deliver.

Do you have a car which supports 3-phase charging? (Check the charge port - it'll have pins in the L2 and L3 holes if it does). Note that even if it does, the MG4 will only support up to 11kW.

Are you using a 3-phase 22kW (32A) Type 2 charge cable? If you're using a single phase cable then you'll only ever get up to 7kW, regardless of what the charge point can deliver.

Think that’s it - just a single phase cable 👍

A lot has changed since my Zoe.

MY23 Trophy as well.

MY23 models only support 7KW AC charging (as all models were ever supposed to, and were advertised as such).

MY22 models came with 11KW AC charging, erroneously. MG didn't bother correcting this until the MY23 model. MY22 model needs a 3-phase Type2 charging cable, by default MG only supply as single phase Type2 cable as far as I know (and plenty of cars didn't come with any Type2 cables, only granny chargers).

Thanks for confirming guys - so 7kW is the most though type 2 cable but CCS can do more?

Shame more local rapid was down so only been able to test on one 22kW charger.

DC charging via CCS ... If you have an SR model (with 51kWh LFP battery) then max charge rate is about 88kW. If you have an LR model (with 64kWh NMC battery) then max charge rate is 135kW, although some people have reported getting 140kW.

DC charging via CCS ... If you have an SR model (with 51kWh LFP battery) then max charge rate is about 88kW. If you have an LR model (with 64kWh NMC battery) then max charge rate is 135kW, although some people have reported getting 140kW.
Do you know what battery type is used in the mg4 trophy er?

Do you know what battery type is used in the mg4 trophy er?
Definitely NMC. I thought that that it might be CATL's NMC 811 chemistry which is more energy dense than the LR/Trophy NMC 532 but since the ER is heavier I'm now not so sure.

According to MG it has a useable capacity of 74.4kWh.

Neither, one is the SR and the other is the LR/Trophy. I think they will update the manual for the ER.

There is no evidence that it is NMC 811, that was just my guess until I found out that the ER is heavier than the LR. Now I've got no idea which it is.

Just confirming your MY23 are phase 2 cars (rear wipers, middle head rests etc)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 85 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back