Charging whilst inside the car?

Mine came with a granny cable, and that's the standard. (Early cars came with Type 2 cable because MG couldn't get enough parts to supply granny cables).

But it all depends on what you negotiate with your dealer. :)
Yes, they will try to sell you the type 2 for an exorbitant amount but negotiated a freebie as they messed me about a bit.

So when I'm at a public charging station, I notice other drivers (non MG) are happily sitting in their cars whilst they're charging. When I start a charge on the mg4, the doors lock and the charge starts. If I open the doors and get in the car the charge stops, and pressing start charge on the battery display infotainment screen doesn't start it again.

So am I missing something here?
My MG5 2022 charges when sitting inside with engine off . But pauses when you open door and the display comes on to show how much it's charging. Once you close the door it resumes charging.I don't turn it ( press Start) on at any point till it charged. I monitor the charge by opening the car door then closing it to bring on the charge status display that comes on for 2 mins. Then switch on to ready after car charged .

I thought you couldn't go into drive mode when plugged in anyway so I don't see how you could drive off while plugged in?
☺️

I thought you couldn't go into drive mode when plugged in anyway so I don't see how you could drive off while plugged in?
Yeah that's what I'm meaning, cant go in ready or drive, but all AC/heating etc work as normal

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I negotiated for a free one as well as the granny as i had verbally agreed on a lower price on a returned car that had a surface scratch

Can you run the heater whilst sitting in the car when charging or do you have to freeze?
Yes you can run the HVAC whilst charging, this will of course use some power and the charging will take a little longer. There are some Bjorn Nyland YouTube videos where he shows the difference in charge rates with HVAC on and off (not in an MG)

Fantastic, thanks for that.

Do all MG4s come with a Type 2 cable? Seem to remember discussion of some people receiving granny cables instead.
Mine is a lease car and when it was delivered the guy said they had a stack of MG type 2 cables in the warehouse so they just throw them in the cars. Seems to be random or down to good buyer negotiation skills as to if you get one supplied or not.

Yes you can run the HVAC whilst charging, this will of course use some power and the charging will take a little longer. There are some Bjorn Nyland YouTube videos where he shows the difference in charge rates with HVAC on and off (not in an MG)

I do, and will quite happily sit there an extra few of minutes if it means I am more comfortable.
I'm usually only there for a few minutes TBH.

By the time I've had my Costa Sausage Bap and Flat White (Other brands are available) I don't wait long enough to worry about it. Nom.👍

I have used granny leaf and two extension cables charging overnight most of the time for the last year.

Never had any problems. I don’t mind that it is slow.

I like it on the app to turn on the heating before I do the school run and keeping it plugged into the granny charger helps

I don't power down to charge on a public charger. Just stop, put parking brake on, plug it in and in most cases I have to tap 'start charging' on the infotainment screen or the MG app and of course pay/enable on charger I am using. You can have heating/aircon on and anything else but obviously you are using some charge as you are charging. You can power down or switch off screen but I like to see the rate of charge etc. as I mostly just do a short rapid charge, while eating a sandwich/answering emails etc but charge just enough to get me home or to work with a bit of spare. (say 20 or 30 miles).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back