Cleaning Matte Green Paint.

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hello,
First post here so thought I'd make it a helpful one! Cleaning Matte Green Paint.
I have been polishing my cars for as long as I can remember (old git) so was looking forward to my very recent purchase with matte paint as it should be much easier to look after. This is my second wash and is indeed very easy to keep.
Jetwash off the worst of the dirt, followed by a 10 minute soak in snowfoam.
Jetwash that off, then a lukewarm handwash with Autoglym Shampoo and conditioner. Then final rinse.
I use my leaf blower for the worst of the water followed by a microfibre towel to finish.
Screenshot_20230913_110419_Chrome.jpg
20230913_091111.jpg
20230913_110239.jpg
20230913_095123.jpg
20230913_111841.jpg

Attachments

• 20230913_112233.jpg
    20230913_112233.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 144
Using a car shampoo such as you have will soon likely add a sheen to the matte paint. There are products out there specifically for matte finishes. Suggest you do a search for how to look after a matte paint. Hope you dont mind me saying.
Like the car, got a white one on order for Dec/Jan delivery

Using a car shampoo such as you have will soon likely add a sheen to the matte paint. There are products out there specifically for matte finishes. Suggest you do a search for how to look after a matte paint. Hope you dont mind me saying.
Do wrapped cars need anything special ?

🤣👍Got to laugh!
My research was not thorough enough I see! I know I can't polish the paint but read that I could use the autoglym stuff without issue. And of course I don't mind you saying, we are all on forums to live, learn and share. 👍

Looks great.
Can I ask why the tyres are on the black grills?
Hello
Just raises the car off the gravel enough so I can get at the very bottom of the tyre at bit easier.

Looks great.
Can I ask why the tyres are on the black grills?
Hello
Just raises the car off the gravel enough so I can get at the very bottom of the tyre at bit easier
Wow awesome work! It looks 😃
Thanks M8 👍
Struggling to find something that will take the light scratches out of the shiny black plastic behind the c pillar. Used some super resin polish (carefully) and it did improve it a bit compared to the other side.

Just added the Black MG to compliment the other black trim.
Screenshot_20230913_130534_Chrome.jpg

Hello
Just raises the car off the gravel enough so I can get at the very bottom of the tyre at bit easier

Thanks M8 👍
Struggling to find something that will take the light scratches out of the shiny black plastic behind the c pillar. Used some super resin polish (carefully) and it did improve it a bit compared to the other side.
On the plastic mine was badly scratched and the Smart repair guy did a light polish on it and now looks good (how it should be been from the factory).

Shiny black plastic is a nightmare to stop scratches appearing, they are very soft plastics that are used by most manufacturers. I swear sometimes that when you look at it, scratches start to appear before your eyes 😢
The version of the EV6 I currently drive has lots of shiny black plastic inside and out, nightmare to keep clean. I just lightly go over it with a wash mitt, when washing the car and then use a glaze product that temporarily ‘fills’ the light scratches. Even after I have had cars professionally valeted and ceramic coating applied, as in the case of the EV6, the scratches return in time no matter how careful you are.

Unfortunately how most dealers have the cars prepared for delivery is not ideal. A new black car I had a few years ago looked like it had been cleaned with sandpaper! Thats why I now tell dealers not to valet a car prior to delivery, some tried to refuse, others just said ok. I then get the car professionally valeted, I realise its expensive but its my preference.

Hello,
First post here so thought I'd make it a helpful one! Cleaning Matte Green Paint.
I have been polishing my cars for as long as I can remember (old git) so was looking forward to my very recent purchase with matte paint as it should be much easier to look after. This is my second wash and is indeed very easy to keep.
Jetwash off the worst of the dirt, followed by a 10 minute soak in snowfoam.
Jetwash that off, then a lukewarm handwash with Autoglym Shampoo and conditioner. Then final rinse.
I use my leaf blower for the worst of the water followed by a microfibre towel to finish.View attachment 20110View attachment 20113View attachment 20112View attachment 20114View attachment 20115
You've definitely given me a reason to dust off my snow foam gear now! Car looks great - I've been trying to figure out the best/safest way to wash mine when it comes. Definitely won't be going through a car wash!

Autoglym do a shampoo specifically for matte paint so I'm going to use this and snowfoam.

Here's the link for details: Cupra and AutoGlym team up with matte paint care guide - Auto Repair Focus

Shiny black plastic is a nightmare to stop scratches appearing, they are very soft plastics that are used by most manufacturers. I swear sometimes that when you look at it, scratches start to appear before your eyes 😢
The version of the EV6 I currently drive has lots of shiny black plastic inside and out, nightmare to keep clean. I just lightly go over it with a wash mitt, when washing the car and then use a glaze product that temporarily ‘fills’ the light scratches. Even after I have had cars professionally valeted and ceramic coating applied, as in the case of the EV6, the scratches return in time no matter how careful you are.

Unfortunately how most dealers have the cars prepared for delivery is not ideal. A new black car I had a few years ago looked like it had been cleaned with sandpaper! Thats why I now tell dealers not to valet a car prior to delivery, some tried to refuse, others just said ok. I then get the car professionally valeted, I realise its expensive but its my preference.
I know, I know!! Makes you wonder what they are thinking. I've come out of an Audi Etron (aka the pudding) so have been spoiled with a nice range of interior and exterior finishes.
I knew what I was getting into with the MG but still a touch perplexing that they should use scratchy soft plastic on the outside, followed by hard scratchy trim on the inside 🤣🤣

Autoglym do a shampoo specifically for matte paint so I'm going to use this and snowfoam.

Here's the link for details: Cupra and AutoGlym team up with matte paint care guide - Auto Repair Focus
Thanks for the link m8👍
I never used to blow off the water as autoglym do aquawax which you could spray on with the vehicle whilst still wet, before then polishing it off.

I have a dedicated car/motorbike blower, before that I rinse off with water run through a filter, so no water spots. Sad I know, but never used be this fussy but over the last 10 years have gone that way ! To be honest it does make a difference, I snow foam as well, neighbours must think Im bonkers.

I have a dedicated car/motorbike blower, before that I rinse off with water run through a filter, so no water spots. Sad I know, but never used be this fussy but over the last 10 years have gone that way ! To be honest it does make a difference, I snow foam as well, neighbours must think Im bonkers.
🤣I've always been a bit particular as well about looking after my cars/bikes and was hoping this would be a bit easier.
I suppose it will be a bit less time consuming as I don't have to polish the whole thing.👍

Thanks to Tycho....
To protect the paintwork, Autoglym recommends its Rapid Aqua Wax. This liquid-based wax will thinly coat the peaks and valleys of the matte paint surface, rather than fill them in like a thick paste wax would. Simply spray the wax onto the surface whilst still wet, use the supplied microfibre cloth to spread it evenly across the surface, and the other microfibre cloth to dry and buff. Alternatively, Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Spray will provide a protective layer with UV protection and hydrophobicity to make future cleaning easier.

If any further detailing or correction is required, the use of any hard waxes or products containing abrasives such as polishes, compounds or scratch removers must not be used. Owners should contact their local dealer to rectify any scratches.

Lastly, for any annoying marks which remain such as greasy fingerprints, Autoglym Fast Glass is ideal as a spot cleaner on matte paint. It should be remembered that over time it will strip away any protective wax applied and so this should be reapplied after repeated use of Fast Glass.

“Motorists are often nervous of matte paint care finishes due to the notion of it being easy to damage, and whilst this is true, by following a few simple steps when washing the vehicle and by using the right products, it’s easy to prevent this from happening,”l

I used to use aqua wax on my last car!!!!
So here's me thinking I might get away with polishing but no, appears my routine will remain the same.
Didn't see that coming🤣🤣🤣

Grubby again.....But to be expected really, as I do live at the end of a long single track road, a mile from the main B road.
20230921_103508.jpg

Last edited:
Probably very expensive but you can get a high tech matte wrap that will "self repair" to avoid swirls and minor scratches. "White Details" on Youtube did this on a new Matte Grey Kia EV6.

Worth a watch but probably £££'s.

My only fear with matt paint is how to get rid of little scratches / bird poo etching / water spots / scuffs etc. as I would normally just machine polish these out with polish.

Not given it a great deal of thought to be honest m8.
I am doing my best for the car with the wash routine detailed above.
I would never put a car I cared about through a hand wash place so that removes that risk of scratches with dropped sponges etc.
I have been known to use an IMO now and again, but I trust the process they use.
I've got some bird lime wipes in the car, for when I'm out and about.
I don't park next to anybody else (if I can possibly avoid it)
So my biggest risk is stonechips I suppose?
So unless I could wrap it in the colour it already is, I don't see the point really.
Unless you were keeping the car for a very long time.
Your only adding value for the resale, but I reckon the cost of the wrap would far outweigh any extra you might get for the car come resale? Just my 2p worth of course.
Very interesting video 👍
I suppose what I am trying to say is that you will just have to be really careful 🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back