Cleaning Matte Green Paint.

Hi all. My dealer offered Diamondbrite protection for my matt green Xpower (not yet delivered). I queried this, fearing unsuitability or inadvertent polishing. Here's the reply I have now received:

"We have had a response back from Diamondbrite who have confirmed the protection will still be eligible and usable on the matt Racing Green paint. The two stage coating in not a polish, it is a protective layer that will still maintain the correct finish for the paint and give you the protection against the elements like birdlime, grit, UV rays and grime that can deteriorate the finish of the exterior. You will still have the protection on all of the interior fabrics and the lifetime warranty for the paints and interior in the result of any accidental damages that can happen."

I'm tempted to ask for contact details for the relevant person at Diamondbrite so I can hear from the horse's mouth before committing. Anyone got thoughts in the meantime?

I have posted before regarding this and the current and previous professional detailers I have used always say never let a dealer prepare a vehicle for delivery, especially matt finishes. They have had to correct numerous disasters created by dealers on matt finishes. They don't know how to prepare them, which is confimed by your dealer having to ask the question.

Well done m8.
You've made the effort where others haven't bothered. (I.E. Me 🤣)
I had already assumed (wrongly) with my limited research that matte paint would be fairly straightforward to keep.

I still think it will be though, and will try my Aquawax (as has been suggested by Autoglym themselves) somewhere discreet on the car next wash to see what I think.

I could try that but since I've been told Diamondbrite have specifically said their product would suit, I'd prefer to speak to whoever said that. Further, you'll note that their website and brochure say their guaranteed coatings bring with them a gloss finish. Well something has to give.

• I could try that but since I've been told Diamondbrite have specifically said their product would suit, I'd prefer to speak to whoever said that. Further, you'll note that their website and brochure say their guaranteed coatings bring with them a gloss finish. Well something has to give.

Quote Reply
Report •••
I have posted before regarding this and the current and previous professional detailers I have used always say never let a dealer prepare a vehicle for delivery, especially matt finishes. They have had to correct numerous disasters created by dealers on matt finishes. They don't know how to prepare them, which is confimed by your dealer having to ask the question.
Right - so I'm hearing contradictory things from different places. If Diamondbrite confirm to me directly that their stuff works then I may get comfortable. For the moment I'm reserving judgement.

If you are aware of a reputable professional detailer locally, not a general valetor, then I suggest you give them a call to check their views. I can provide you with the name and number of the guy I use, he has always been very helpful, if you wish. He is based in North Yorkshire and once my car arrives it will be entrusted to him again.

Very kind. I'll see how far I get with Diamondbrite in the first instance. I somehow doubt I will get far though. Then I'll look at local detailers. I sort of think MG should have offered the Xpower in the same green but with a gloss finish. Then we'd all be in the same boat. The matt looks great of course.

I'd personally not trust a dealer to prep my car with anything, just like I don't trust them to even wash it at a service !! (see a previous post). There are some products out there for Matte paint and I'd rather trust an experienced detailer (all IMHO) with one of these.

Some advice from Detailng World (see 4th post) :

Ooo a timely post for me JonnyG!
Just read this on one of your links...
" don't use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance will become 'levelled "

I "was" thinking about using an IMO wash later (Lazy twonk!) ((I know, I know!!))
But am not sure if any of the protection phases use hot wax, so would probably, just to be safe, stick to the wash routine only.

Really rare for me to be honest as I usually do it myself.

I'd personally not trust a dealer to prep my car with anything, just like I don't trust them to even wash it at a service !! (see a previous post). There are some products out there for Matte paint and I'd rather trust an experienced detailer (all IMHO) with one of these.

Some advice from Detailng World (see 4th post) :

Thank you, sir. Very helpful and will consider. In the meantime I’ve e-mailed Diamondbrite because I don’t feel like relying on the dealer’s garbled message that purportedly reports his conversation with them.

Thank you, sir. Very helpful and will consider. In the meantime I’ve e-mailed Diamondbrite because I don’t feel like relying on the dealer’s garbled message that purportedly reports his conversation with them.
Being cynical I have the feeling that the dealer is after the big markup and commission from applying the Diamondbrite.
I wonder how they'd try and wiggle out of paying for the correction treatment?

I hear you. I've already told him I want the £299 for the Diamondbrite taken off the agreed quote and he agreed. Meantime I've just mailshotted all the well-reviewed local detailers for their suggestions.

🤣👍Got to laugh!
My research was not thorough enough I see! I know I can't polish the paint but read that I could use the autoglym stuff without issue. And of course I don't mind you saying, we are all on forums to live, learn and share. 👍

Hello
Just raises the car off the gravel enough so I can get at the very bottom of the tyre at bit easier.

Hello
Just raises the car off the gravel enough so I can get at the very bottom of the tyre at bit easier

Thanks M8 👍
Struggling to find something that will take the light scratches out of the shiny black plastic behind the c pillar. Used some super resin polish (carefully) and it did improve it a bit compared to the other side.

Just added the Black MG to compliment the other black trim.View attachment 20118
All the colours befit from the addition of the black badge. IMHO 🤷‍♂️

I hear you. I've already told him I want the £299 for the Diamondbrite taken off the agreed quote and he agreed. Meantime I've just mailshotted all the well-reviewed local detailers for their suggestions.
It will likely be more with the detailer but you will know what treatment you are getting. I strongly suggest not to allow the dealer to prep the car in anyway prior to handover as previously suggested. I have taken cars before looking awful but I stood my ground see attached. However its up to you how you proceed. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 64
It will likely be more with the detailer but you will know what treatment you are getting. I strongly suggest not to allow the dealer to prep the car in anyway prior to handover as previously suggested. I have taken cars before looking awful but I stood my ground see attached. However its up to you how you proceed. Good luck
Thank you and I'll take your advice.

Just to say I've now made contact with some credible detailers and told the dealership that on no account are they to prep the car before delivery.

This assumes I don't cancel the order given the 65-75mph hum/vibration issue being discussed on another thread.

Just to say I've now made contact with some credible detailers and told the dealership that on no account are they to prep the car before delivery.

This assumes I don't cancel the order given the 65-75mph hum/vibration issue being discussed on another thread.
I don't expect to cancel, though. I see the car as a bit of a rough diamond given the price and I think the entertainment value should outweigh its S Class shortcomings.

I could live with a faint thrum at motorway speeds as I expect the road noise won’t be that low either with this car. The YouTube review above suggests it isn’t a big deal. But it does give me pause to see how much heat and light the issue has generated on here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back