Clonk from transmission starting from rest, MG5

Bazarooni

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
At about 3000 miles from new, my MG5 has started to develop a clonking sound when the drive picks up from rest, particularly pronounced starting on a hill. Seems the warmer weather recently has eased it somewhat, but is definately getting worse, and even clonks on first brake pedal press now too. It's not the handbrake actuators as the noise it at the front wheels, and not within the drivetrain as far as I can tell.
I jacked up each front wheel and found enormous play on the inner CV joints both sides, no play on the outer ones (wheel side). Rotating the wheel back and forth clearly gives the clonking sound I'm getting now.
Complained to dealer service, who didn't understand, so asked at the first service for the clonking to be looked at. Unbelievably, the technician, who did understand the problem, said "it's normal", and wasn't going to even make a warranty claim or do anything about it. He went on about pins in the transmission, and not being able to tow more than 2mph, and all sorts of irrelevant rubbish in no way connected with the problem to fob me off, and had to force him to make a warranty claim to MG. Of course, MG are bound to reject the claim, if he actually makes it or doesn't describe the problem properly. I suspect I will hear nothing. I've had new cars for decades, and none of them developed clonking noises after 3000 miles, so it can't be "normal".
Has anyone else experienced this clonking sound on pick-up from rest? If so, what did you do about it that might work?
Thanks for any advice.

I might be tempted to have an independent engineers report done, you mention excessive play on the inboard joints rather than any internal play from the differential which is of some comfort, but a proper report may prod your dealer into action. I have no idea of the cost for this these days the AA could advise on this, but if you ask for a report specifically on the drive train it may help to keep the costs down. Also, I think a call to Cleevly engineering may be time well spent as James their mobile technician - who may see this and comment - drives an MG5 all over the country and has done significantly more miles than 3000. I hope you get it sorted.

I had this on a previous Nissan LEAF, and got the classic "they all do it" response which to be fair a lot from 2016 have done from new. The issue was the splines from the driveshaft to the front hubs which are slightly loose and eject their grease.
There's no way that I'd accept what you describe at such a low mileage.

I agree as all above have said this is not normal, mines done 14000 miles now never a clonk from anywhere, brake squeal yes, and still does it now and again first thing my dealer says all EVs do that, garbage I say, have you thought of trying another dealer and asking them to listen to it or as MickH as said an independent but that will cost you money and shouldn’t.
Les

Definitely not normal.
Get them to take you out in their demonstrator and show how it does the same.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom