• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Comfort Pack 2 Update MG ZS EV

Hi Folks,
we have all extensively covered Comfort2 upgrade in relation to range, cost and the alarm verses horn issue so I personally will not say much other than to advise new members to read this thread and related threads from the beginning.
However, I see members are still a bit unhappy about the situation but still seem to have no encourage to actually write to MG individually with their issues.
I have been told that virtually very ZS EV owner in Europe especially in the Nordic countries where electricity is relatively expensive wrote individually to MG complaining about lack of delayed/timed charging and the problems that the C2U now resolves. At the time there were just over 1000 UK individual owners of which less than 10 had written to MG to specifically ask for these issues to be addressed. That only 1%.
I am unsure about the veracity of this but going by the reluctance we have had when writing to MG has been suggested I have no reason to doubt.
I am therefore very grateful to all our European members because it is clear that both European reviewers and European ZS EV owners have been the main catalyst for the improvement we will now all enjoy.
I am absolutely sure that if we in the UK made the appropriate demonstration of our concern about paying for C2U we all may have had it for free.

I'm afraid I too think this argument fails. Yes, It is illegal for you to sound the horn. But the car is sending an alarm to get your attention. Vast numbers of cars that use the horn for alarm purposes (possibly a majority?) would also be illegal if this was the case.

This issue is causing untold damage to some dealers. I had my car done yesterday at my local dealer and they charged me £90. They are doing it for those who purchased from them free of charge, but wouldn't make any concessions to me as a service customer. I politely paid, but this attitude (even a 50% reduction would have been acceptable) has removed any loyalty I have to them and possibly cost future MG car purchases, which otherwise would have been through them for sure.
Most alarms do not use the car horn. They have separate devices. Using the car horn is contrary to the Highway Code. Other warnings are given by bongs. Why not this one?
Good news for some and maybe not for all...just spoke to my local service team who said they would install it for free once there hardware issue has been resolved; the technician said call in a couple of week and just book it in..
Probably worth the £90.00 and will have it done.
I have written to MG UK via their contacts page and suggested that the posutive PR and publicity they could gain would more than offset the costs involved.
I have also contacted Honest John from the Saturday Telegraph to seek his opinion.
If more people contact MG direct there is more chance that they will play ball.

@Paulie68,
Unfortunately that how they tend to respond. I also received a 'nothing' reply when I wrote to MG.
That is what happens with most big companies. Writing individually does not necessarily mean the individual will get things resolved but as soon as a certain threshold of one and same complaint by numerous customers is reached the company is forced to acknowledge the issue and respond.

Just had the Comfort 2 pack installed on my MG ZS EV.....the car feels better somehow....more responsive.......the sat nav operates much quicker, and the dreaded Bongs have gone.
The GOM showed 159 miles this morning after a full charge on ECO but since the update it is now showing 206 miles.??
I've also had the BMS installed so can't wait to see if there is any change with the charging next time.

Hi ging353,
So I’m not the only one that has seen the potential range increase....now I know I’m not going mad!!

Hi Mark ...... I'm keeping my eye on it........I can't imagine gaining that much range....but we will see.
The other pleasant surprise was that there was no charge for all the updates and the car was spotless inside and out when I picked it up. Excellent dealership Eric Stead Ecclesfield Sheffield

Hi Mark ...... I'm keeping my eye on it........I can't imagine gaining that much range....but we will see.
The other pleasant surprise was that there was no charge for all the updates and the car was spotless inside and out when I picked it up. Excellent dealership Eric Stead Ecclesfield Sheffield
Yes it’s strange as there are only two, you and I that have seen this albeit please don’t think you’ll actually get this, what Is you normal miles to kWh ratio when driving my average is about 4.2 Miles per kWh And yet today I managed about 4.5 miles over 153 miles, which was good going. I don’t speed I try and keep between 55 and 65 miles per hour, I drive in ECO with Regen 3 and use this to slow by looking ahead and letting the car do its job and only using the brakes very lightly.
Lastly I accelerate with control rather than rapidly, in essence I do try and drive smoothly.

Hi there. I have not seen the utubes or read much about this, but as an engineer I would not expect any range increase after a software update. However, it is just possible that the parameter of battery discharge has been changed to allow further discharge before the battery is deemed to be discharged.

Hi there. I have not seen the utubes or read much about this, but as an engineer I would not expect any range increase after a software update. However, it is just possible that the parameter of battery discharge has been changed to allow further discharge before the battery is deemed to be discharged.
But surely this would then be applied to all and not only some or two that I know of so far, that’s why I’m saying could it be a update software glitch or something?

Just got back from Twyford, airbag fault fix and complimentary comfort 2 whilst in the garage.

Name & praise.
Hi Steeve
How did you manage to get it done free with Bulldog, Twyford? I am going there next Wednesday for door lock recall fix. Graham said they will charge for comfort update.
Can you please tell me who did the update for you?
Thanks
Chinnakonda Arvind

They owed me a favour for failing to fix the airbag first time and being delayed the second time, not their fault but they were good about it, so they did the right thing.
Good for them.

Just got my Comfort 2 Upgrade and the BMS Upgrade done today by my dealer......No charge at all and the car was spotless when I picked it up and thoroughly sanitised inside..... can't beat a good dealer..... Eric Stead Sheffield.....they get my vote in the future.

Hi Folks,
The really good dealerships are standing out for all to see. Unfortunately some GOOD dealerships have sold only two or three ZS EV's while others have sold over hundred so their experience in EV care is not uniform. This is understandable but often with some MG dealers it seems simple customer care like cleaning the car after it's been in the garage is absent and it leaves much to be desired.
Coming back to the comfort 2 upgrade and range issue I now think no amount of explanation will make those who believe a miracle has happened with the C2 upgrade change their minds.
The WLTP range limits for ZS EV are 163 and 230 for mixed and city respectively.
When range is generally quoted only the mixed figure is coated so in general we say ZS EV will do 163 miles.
The truth of the matter is that in the appropriate conditions it will do up to 230.
So if your GOM is showing 210 it is nothing miraculous. All it means is that when the GOM computer compares the way you have been driving for the last 3 to 10 mins you drove the ZS EV against the WLTP cycles it estimates that you can drive 210miles with the charge in the battery. That is all it is. If you start the car and start driving in a different way and /or your driving conditions change the GOM will immediately update to this new conditions and modify the numbers. GOM basis everything on the past and can not predict the future expect to say if the future is exactly like the past then the range will be the same.
I have also explained that the battery capacity is 44.5kWh of which 42.5 is available for travel with or without comfort 2 upgrade this 42.5 kWh has not changed. The only thing that has changed is weather and driving experience.
So to travel further with the same 42.5 kWh one should have driving experience and weather that facilitates a higher miles per kWh.
Miles per kWh is dependent on several things some of which can indeed be marginally improved by software upgrades.
We know from MG letter on C2U that it does not affect any factors affecting miles Per kWh and there is no mention of it causing increase in range.
No matter how hard one may try to make claims that C2U causes increase in range it is not true and cannot be true.
What is true is that if you achieve a higher miles per kWh your range will go up. If you do not achieve a higher miles per kWh your range will be low.
Whether you range is high or low all you have to spend per charge is 42.5kWh that as not changed and the distance you travel will be determined by this 42.5kWh of power and the miles per kWh you can achieve while you are using up the 42.5 kWh to drive. All that is left is for you to use it wisely.
If you use this 42.5 kWh super wisely you will emulate WLTP City parameters and your range will shoot to near 230 miles.
If you drive relatively normally you will emulate WLTP mixed parameters and your range will be around 160 miles. If your driving is not energy efficient or driving conditions are bad the range falls.
It is as simple as that.
Is one chooses to believe none of the above is right and believes a miracle happens with C2U then that is also an option.
All that remains is for us all to drive safely and ensure we always have adequate charge for our journey.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom