Company Car - Relying on public charging

Some councils allow this, some don't. A guy who lives up the road from me apparently had to apply to the council about three times before he was given permission to do it. I've not seen his cable out for a long time though and I suspect the peremission was revoked when they installed the public charge-point close to his house.

It's a really really bad idea just to do this without checking on the legality and getting it approved. Even with approval you could still be liable if someone trips up, but if you have an unauthorised cable crossing the pavement you'd probably be taken to court by the council.

I do and I drive past there on a daily basis! This is excellent to know, I didn’t spot that! Thanks. I’ll likely see you there! 😀 I’ve already accepted the fact that using public chargers as such will be the same cost as ICE fuel.
Glad that I could help you. Unfortunately I am a Geordie exile and
I have stopped there a couple of times on the way from Derbyshire to Bamburgh.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Just got the car today, did a thorough inspection thanks to the checklist provided in the tips section.

Car is in immaculate condition. Couple of hiccups with the Bluetooth connectivity but that seems to have sorted itself out.

And I have occasionally had ‘eCall System Failure Consult Handbook’ whilst idle and driving. It’s not on permanently.

I’ve read in another thread that it might be the internal SIM card struggling to find a signal. Ill be going for a good drive around Newcastle tonight so I’ll keep an eye on it.

Other than that I’m very happy with it so far. Eager to finish work!

MG4 Trophy LR due for delivery on Wednesday. It’s a company car, and one of the reasons why we went for EV is so I didn’t have to pay a high BIK% on an ICE.

I’m handing in in my current car (NHS Salary Sacrifice) saving me £400 p/m

So I’m only having to pay for charging the car.

My problem is that I don’t have off-street parking too allow for home charging. I’ve been in communication with Newcastle Council about getting Kerbo Charge approved, but that’s been as painful as pulling teeth. It seems that the council is actively avoiding any meaningful support for EV adoption.

So I’m going to have to rely on public charging for now. I’m fortunate enough to have two Charging Point locations within walking distance from my home. But when I’ve visited them, you have some regular ICE cars parking in the EV bays and according to the comments, they’ve occasionally not been working.

In terms of mileage, I don’t do a huge deal on a daily basis, so I’m expecting to only need to charge once or twice a week at a maximum.

Is any one else in a similar situation as me?

Have you any advice on planning and what to expect when relying solely on using public chargers.

I’ve asked SelectCar Leasing if I’ll get a Type 2 charger as I’ve read I’ll only get a granny charger with the MG. I’m going to read into this as I’m still a little clueless about the whole different DC/AC and the different types of charging options.

I’m concerned about the current charging infrastructure in Newcastle as I’ve read it is exceedingly inadequate, perhaps one of the worst in the country.

If it wasn’t for the company paying for it, I wouldn’t have went EV as it seems that society in the UK as a whole have a negative view about EVs. So I’m even worried about the car getting damaged when leaving it to charge.

Then I’m reading all the negative feedback about the MG4 software and lane assist being dangerous and people having to disable it every time you get into the car.

Not sure if I’m just getting cold feet but I’ve even thought about declining delivery and cancelling the order and going for an ICE and just bite the bullet with the BIK%

I think I’m just being a stress head, so any thing to calm my brain will be welcomed 😂

Thanks
I've had my MG4 Trophy fo 6 months now. Software problems were sorted at end of January and have had no problem ( Lane assist is switched off at the moment awaiting update). Suggest you get the ZappMap app and sus out the charging stations you are likely to use. High rate charging is expensive (+65p/kw) but quick. 7kw chargers need the type 2 cable

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Just got the car today, did a thorough inspection thanks to the checklist provided in the tips section.

Car is in immaculate condition. Couple of hiccups with the Bluetooth connectivity but that seems to have sorted itself out.

And I have occasionally had ‘eCall System Failure Consult Handbook’ whilst idle and driving. It’s not on permanently.

I’ve read in another thread that it might be the internal SIM card struggling to find a signal. Ill be going for a good drive around Newcastle tonight so I’ll keep an eye on it.

Other than that I’m very happy with it so far. Eager to finish work!
Hi, I'm in a similar situation to you with no home charger. I've had mine for 3 months and done 4000 miles entirely using the public charging network. Luckily there is a charger near me which is super slow (so nobody else ever uses it) and on the BP network so I can leave it overnight and with the BP subscription pay about 25p/kWh.

If you have an Android phone, the Bluetooth thing will never be "sorted" unless there's a software update by Google or MG to fix the communication issues. Try to give it a minute to connect before plugging in a cable for Android Auto or that will mess everything up. Sometimes it just can't be fixed and you will only see "SAIC_w_car" as an option, which it won't connect to. It will still play music from your phone via the cable and android auto though...so unless you have an important call it's not that massive an issue.

The alerts about the emergency system are just that as you say - a lack of signal. Confusing alert but nothing to worry about, nothing is "broken".

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I do!

I have a MG ZS LR Gen 2. Similar to you, I don't have access to home charging. Been using the public network for a year and done about 8.5k miles on it. A bit frustrating sometimes but that's been two or three times in the entire year when chargers didn't work away from my area. Generally use Osprey chargers near me and haven't seen any issue. Plug it in and go do shopping, by the time I'm back I have enough juice to last a week.

Previous to owning the ZS I had other electric cars and always used the public charging and mostly been okay. I pay 30p/kw on some chargers so not as cheap as home charging but still fine

MG4 Trophy LR due for delivery on Wednesday. It’s a company car, and one of the reasons why we went for EV is so I didn’t have to pay a high BIK% on an ICE.

My problem is that I don’t have off-street parking too allow for home charging. I’ve been in communication with Newcastle Council about getting Kerbo Charge approved, but that’s been as painful as pulling teeth. It seems that the council is actively avoiding any meaningful support for EV adoption.

So I’m going to have to rely on public charging for now. I’m fortunate enough to have two Charging Point locations within walking distance from my home. But when I’ve visited them, you have some regular ICE cars parking in the EV bays and according to the comments, they’ve occasionally not been working.

In terms of mileage, I don’t do a huge deal on a daily basis, so I’m expecting to only need to charge once or twice a week at a maximum.

Have you any advice on planning and what to expect when relying solely on using public chargers.

I’ve asked SelectCar Leasing if I’ll get a Type 2 charger as I’ve read I’ll only get a granny charger with the MG. I’m going to read into this as I’m still a little clueless about the whole different DC/AC and the different types of charging options.

I’m concerned about the current charging infrastructure in Newcastle as I’ve read it is exceedingly inadequate, perhaps one of the worst in the country.

If it wasn’t for the company paying for it, I wouldn’t have went EV as it seems that society in the UK as a whole have a negative view about EVs. So I’m even worried about the car getting damaged when leaving it to charge.

Then I’m reading all the negative feedback about the MG4 software and lane assist being dangerous and people having to disable it every time you get into the car.

Not sure if I’m just getting cold feet but I’ve even thought about declining delivery and cancelling the order and going for an ICE and just bite the bullet with the BIK%

I think I’m just being a stress head, so any thing to calm my brain will be welcomed 😂

Thanks
I to have taken the plunge but went to salary sacrifice to so I pay less tax the amount comes off my gross and no benefit in kind.
Charging anxiety is a real thing but has soon as you have had it a few weeks and get a routine you will be fine.
If you have economy 7 at home and can charge on that and I’ve saved a fortune plus my
Trust still pays mileage.
I would pressure my Trust for chargers at your bases as part of their green policy.
I hope you get on with it I waited 18 months for deliveries in the end but was worth it.

Thanks
Def need a type 2 charging cable unless you dont mind paying the dc charging tariff. Where I live in Scotland, dc rapid charging is 70p/kw, ac charging via type2 cable is 40p/kw. I don't have home charging so most of my charging is type 2 at 40p.

It varies so much! I'm going to leave my car on the rapid charger outside the church during the service this morning because it's only 30p whether you use AC or DC!

Until they put the price up I suppose.

Thanks
We're in a less advantageous position than you are, also unable to charge at home, (we're off-grid) and the nearest charge point is 7 miles away. The next nearest is 45 miles away. We've done several longer journeys in the last few weeks and the only problems we have had was yesterday (I'm about to ask about this in a new thread). While we have only had the car for about 6 weeks, so far the advantages of an EV far outweigh any small disadvantages, for us.
Re society having negative view of EVs, I would respond, it's probably not "society", but a those who fear change whose voices tend to be quite loud. There are other ways of expressing "those who fear change".... What is plain, though, is that the transport trajectory that the world has been on until the last 20 years when EVs have become viable alternatives, is unsustainable in a variety of senses. There will always be whataboutery and "and another thing..." from those whose attitudes are being questioned by reality.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back