• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Cost to charge maths !!!

Headgas1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi I am using the granny to regularly charge and I just wanted some confirmation on the maths I am applying. So the 3 kw charger pulls about 2.2kw per hour so for 12 hours is
12hr x 2.2 kw x .019 cost = £5.16 cost to me I hope 😃 I am fairly confident but you know how we doubt ourselves 🤪🤪🤪

Thanks

You can be more precise about consumption if you have a smart meter set up for half hourly readings.

If you are only charging for 12 hours once or twice a week on a 3kw unit it would take a while to get your money back on a home charger and Octopus Go at 5p plus the day rate is well over 19p now.

You can use the Granny via a timeswitch on Go.
That's how I charged before I had my Hypervolt installed.

all i would say is move to octopus go. much better paying 5p/kwh than 19.
From the Octopus website, they won't even quote you to swap to them.

Right now, energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier for the winter.

If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.

Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Cap.

Hi I am using the granny to regularly charge and I just wanted some confirmation on the maths I am applying. So the 3 kw charger pulls about 2.2kw per hour so for 12 hours is
12hr x 2.2 kw x .019 cost = £5.16 cost to me I hope 😃 I am fairly confident but you know how we doubt ourselves 🤪🤪🤪

Thanks
You typed your decimal point slightly incorrectly but it looks like your arithmetic is pretty much spot on.

Don't even think about changing suppliers at the moment unless you enjoy being .......well. you know the usually enjoyable if short-lived experience 🤔

I'm paying 15.83 pence day rate on octopus go.
The new daily rate for Octopus Go if you switch to it in my area is 23.41p / kWh with a daily standing charge of 21.06p. Still 5p for the 4 hours overnight.

The new daily rate for Octopus Go if you switch to it in my area is 23.41p / kWh with a daily standing charge of 21.06p. Still 5p for the 4 hours overnight.
That's good. I also have Octopus go. Didn't think they'd still be offering that in the current mayhem.

From the Octopus website, they won't even quote you to swap to them.

Right now, energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier for the winter.

If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.

Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Ca
It’s all gone a bit mental you can’t move to different suppliers at the moment my mates supplier went bust and his bill jumped by £1000 overnight , just glad I have a fixed rate at the moment

I was very lucky in my timing when I went onto Octopus Go because I just made it onto the 2018 tariff so my daily rate is only 13.72p/kWh. They introduced the 2021 tariff just a few days later.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom