Dashboard Scuff

PaulBr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Anybody know any decent remedies for this?

Usual dashboard back to black etc hasn’t worked.

Or how much a replacement dashboard would be ?

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 319
It’s the wife’s. Was deleivered like that and she didn’t notice and signed it off. Dealer now washing their hands of it. Surely they will have noticed it and because she didn’t pick up on it they’re just playing hard ball.

Should just say it was dark when it was delivered, I’ve said just send it back.

Aye I know. I’ve noticed it’s one panel and the dash is made up of a few panels so wondering if just that top piece can be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder where you'd stand if you declared that you intend to reject the car if they don't fix that? Can they refuse the rejection if they claim it wasn't like that when it was collected? I honestly don't know bu there are people here who could probably advise. I'd take a fair bet that they'd fix it rather than have to handle a rejection.

Consumer rights act 2015 comes into play here, the key part is that is that any defect you find on the car the dealership has to 'prove' that it was not there when you collected the car. In this instance I doubt they can, your defect does not look like 'wear & tear' either, plus it was dark when the car was collected. If you are within 3 months of ownership, they have one chance to fix it or you can reject the car for a replacement or a full refund. Play your own 'hard ball' with them

It looks like something has been placed on the dash and dragged or slid off. Dare I say handbag? (Puts tin hat on and exits stage left rapidly)

It's up to you on how far you want to take it but as your dealer isn't being cooperative and you've already tried to clean it, it might be worth having a go with Aotoglym's vinyl and rubber care.

It really isn't that easy to damage the dashboard, even in the very unlikely event of someone putting a handbag there. (I don't think I've done that in over 50 years of motoring.)

Light relief. A few weeks ago I was cleaning the inside of the car and used an aerosol all-surface dust remover spray on the dashboard. The spray spluttered a bit and some droplets landed on the plastic. I went to wipe them off - and they didn't! No matter what, these dark spots stayed put. "What have I done?" I cried.

It was about a minute and a half later that I realised the spots were shadows of various spots of dirt and dead flies on the windscreen, brought up sharp by the strong sunshine.

Last edited:
How long have you actually had it? There's a period where you can just say no and walk away. (Unless that's what @PristDean is talking about too.) Absolutely play hardball with them.
Thursday

It looks like something has been placed on the dash and dragged or slid off. Dare I say handbag? (Puts tin hat on and exits stage left rapidly)

It's up to you on how far you want to take it but as your dealer isn't being cooperative and you've already tried to clean it, it might be worth having a go with Aotoglym's vinyl and rubber care.

She’s never been in it mate I noticed an hour after it was delivered.

Does anyone know if the dash comes off in panels? Looks like it does.

Just thinking worst case in case I have to replace it.

Like the lads have said I may just end up saying no and walk away.

Does anyone know if the dash comes off in panels? Looks like it does.

Just thinking worst case in case I have to replace it.

Like the lads have said I may just end up saying no and walk away.
To me it looks like the dash is one large piece where your damage is. That damage may have been caused in transit when something was left on the dash in the sun, maybe melted and dragged off before they tried to clean up.
Final questions: Why did the handover take place in the dark and who organised that ?

Hard to tell from your photo, but it could be the stuff that a lot of others have seen to varying degrees, which was some sort of white, almost powdery residue.

May be the case that you need to use a different type of cleaning product if that’s the case. Some of them only put a shine on the panels, they don’t actually clean them

Consumer rights act 2015 comes into play here, the key part is that is that any defect you find on the car the dealership has to 'prove' that it was not there when you collected the car. In this instance I doubt they can, your defect does not look like 'wear & tear' either, plus it was dark when the car was collected. If you are within 3 months of ownership, they have one chance to fix it or you can reject the car for a replacement or a full refund. Play your own 'hard ball' with them
I believe it's 30 days short term right to reject,then up to 6 months, they get one chance to a satisfactory repair.
I'm currently in the 30 day process myself,for 3 paint chips & a scratch when delivered,
As soon as you issue your short term right to reject,the 30 day limit freezes,so the garage can't just string you along beyond 30 days.

Attachments

• 20230725_135050.jpg
    20230725_135050.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 20230725_135139.jpg
    20230725_135139.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20230725_135204.jpg
    20230725_135204.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 238
I believe it's 30 days short term right to reject,then up to 6 months, they get one chance to a satisfactory repair.
I'm currently in the 30 day process myself,for 3 paint chips & a scratch when delivered,
As soon as you issue your short term right to reject,the 30 day limit freezes,so the garage can't just string you along beyond 30 days.
Did you find they were more helpful when you threatened rejection?

Mine seems like such an easy fix it’s just the big panel on the dash needs replacing.

What’s getting me more annoyed is they’ll have to fix it anyway if they want to re issue the car to someone else so may as well just fix it for me????

Mine seems like such an easy fix it’s just the big panel on the dash needs replacing.

What’s getting me more annoyed is they’ll have to fix it anyway if they want to re issue the car to someone else so may as well just fix it for me????
Exactly, they are just trying to play the game... "get shot of cars and take the money. If someone comes back with a fault, try to fob them off because we don't want the expense eating into our profit."
Definitely play the hard ball with them pal.

What’s getting me more annoyed is they’ll have to fix it anyway if they want to re-issue the car to someone else so may as well just fix it for me????
As mine is a lease, it gets a bit more complicated,
reported it to my broker on delivery day (24th July)
They liased with garage, who said the would repair it,
Then they asked me to get a quote locally,
They rejected the quote & once again said they would get it fixed.
Heard nothing for a week,so issued short term right to reject emails to broker,garage, & finance company on Friday,
So hopefully that will get things moving a bit quicker.
It is true,that the onus is on the garage to prove that the damage was not there on delivery,
The garage can reject your rejection,but then you go down the route of motor ombudsman etc,
But I think an email pointing out your legal rights,should get you a swift repair.

As mine is a lease, it gets a bit more complicated,
reported it to my broker on delivery day (24th July)
They liased with garage, who said the would repair it,
Then they asked me to get a quote locally,
They rejected the quote & once again said they would get it fixed.
Heard nothing for a week,so issued short term right to reject emails to broker,garage, & finance company on Friday,
So hopefully that will get things moving a bit quicker.
It is true,that the onus is on the garage to prove that the damage was not there on delivery,
The garage can reject your rejection,but then you go down the route of motor ombudsman etc,
But I think an email pointing out your legal rights,should get you a swift repair.
As a note, motoring ombudsman is not a Government body, it's a body put together by ...... yep motoring manufacturers. You should raise it with them, but you'll get a timeline of six months for them to start to investigate your claim. Your best bet is Citizens Advice and small claims court for repairs.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back