Demisting

Ureds47

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, I'm having some challenges the last couple of mornings demisting and keeping the screen and side windows clear. Both mornings have been damp after overnight rain and whilst the demist button does seem to clear the windscreen quite quickly once it starts misting, if I turn it off it quickly mists up again. Tried a combination of settings, temps, speeds but can only keep it clear by having full demist on which I'd rather not have.. Never had a challenge in other cars and I hope the above makes sense... Any tips appreciated.

Google or search on Amazon for "Fineway" or "Hillington" 1kg dehumidifier bags. ;)

Hi, I'm having some challenges the last couple of mornings demisting and keeping the screen and side windows clear. Both mornings have been damp after overnight rain and whilst the demist button does seem to clear the windscreen quite quickly once it starts misting, if I turn it off it quickly mists up again. Tried a combination of settings, temps, speeds but can only keep it clear by having full demist on which I'd rather not have.. Never had a challenge in other cars and I hope the above makes sense... Any tips appreciated.
Using eco mode it is much harder to demist the car car. Better in normal mode. Also, make sure the recirculation button had not been activated.

Hi, I too am having some strange misting issues. After the dry summer we have just had a few days of serious rain. I have read various posts about misting issues so wasn't unduly surprised when it started happening and duly put on the A/C, however the misting got worse and no amount of juggling with fan speed/heat/A/C made any significant difference and I had to resort to a cloth which was only a temporary fix before misting again.
This was a couple of days ago. Today I went out in lovely warm, bright and dry weather and the screen misted again, not as badly but annoying all the same. Once again I tried all the knobs and nothing completely cleared it - until I opened the windows fully and had a gale blowing through. As soon as the windows were closed it came back. No problem at all with the side or rear windows.
It's as though moisture has got into the fan unit turning it into a humidifier.
Any ideas please?

Hi, I too am having some strange misting issues. After the dry summer we have just had a few days of serious rain. I have read various posts about misting issues so wasn't unduly surprised when it started happening and duly put on the A/C, however the misting got worse and no amount of juggling with fan speed/heat/A/C made any significant difference and I had to resort to a cloth which was only a temporary fix before misting again.
This was a couple of days ago. Today I went out in lovely warm, bright and dry weather and the screen misted again, not as badly but annoying all the same. Once again I tried all the knobs and nothing completely cleared it - until I opened the windows fully and had a gale blowing through. As soon as the windows were closed it came back. No problem at all with the side or rear windows.
It's as though moisture has got into the fan unit turning it into a humidifier.
Any ideas please?
You need to give it a good blast of full heat and AC for quite a while to completely dry out the car.
I found it was worse when the car was new then got better.
As I posted above, a couple of 1kg dehumidifier bags will help enormously, keep refreshing the bags often, once every two to four weeks in the wetter months and once every couple of months in the summer.

You need to give it a good blast of full heat and AC for quite a while to completely dry out the car.
I found it was worse when the car was new then got better.
As I posted above, a couple of 1kg dehumidifier bags will help enormously, keep refreshing the bags often, once every two to four weeks in the wetter months and once every couple of months in the summer.
I have heard this about Nissan Leafs as well. The bags seems a good option but it must be annoying to be unable to set the A?C to clear the front screen. That would drive me mad.

I find that just by switching off the Econ button helps no end and keep air on on auto.

Well, I've ordered the dehumidifier bags and as it is currently dry and warm I've left all the windows open. I've had the car since March and this is the first time I have had this issue but doesn't bode well for the winter months. I'm also going to apply some demisting solution that I use on crash helmet visors and see how that goes...

FWIW, We had a heavy downpour a few days ago and as I looked out of our bedroom window I noticed my windows were all heavily misted up, I though probably the bags need refreshing as I haven't done them for a couple of months. About 10 minutes after the rain stopped the windows were clear, so the bags were doing their job. (y)

About 10 minutes after the rain stopped the windows were clear, so the bags were doing their job. (y)
Excellent, I look forward receiving mine.

I noticed something else today. As I said earlier as it was such a nice day I opened the windows fully for a couple of hours for some fresh air to waft through. When I closed them again the front passenger one came up with water droplets on so clearly moisture has found its way inside the door unit. Not sure how significant that might be though.

Have you checked that the door drains at the bottom of the door are clear? Sometimes the person doing the PDI fails to remove the sealing tape ......

Use the windscreen/feet mode button on the control panel, bottom righthand, then adjust your temperature and fan speed to suit. Look under "Air conditioning" in the manual.

Have you checked that the door drains at the bottom of the door are clear? Sometimes the person doing the PDI fails to remove the sealing tape ......
Thanks for the advice. Yes, the sealing tapes on the front doors were still there, not on the rear though!

Next trip out is tomorrow so lets see if things are better...🤞

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom