Do any quality manufacturers offer 12v batteries for MG4?

At the risk of adding warmth to this discussion, and largely echoing, I think, what @tsedge has mentioned, there is a difference internally in batteries that are designed to discharge shallowly, but rapidly, such as those good for turning over a cold ICE engine more or less frequently (start/stop) and those designed for longer life when discharging much more deeply, but being discharged at much lower rates, such as leisure batteries, or, more interestingly, forklift truck batteries.

The main difference, as I understand it, is the lead plates that constitute the cells in the battery. For delivering heavy amperage, and also for being able to absorb a high rate of charge, more, thinner plates are necessary, sometimes with structure such as holes to prevent buckling. For delivering power longer, and being able to discharge deeply without excessive sulfation, the most frequent killer of lead acid batteries, fewer, thicker plates of lead are necessary. So there absolutely is a key difference between an ICE starter battery and a leisure style battery.

Leisure batteries are designed to be able to discharge as low as 20% state of charge (SOC) but it's always best with lead acids not to go that far down, for longer life. The issue I am uncertain of, is that in an EV, the electronics are unlikely to require the 12v battery to be deeply discharged. The traction battery will top it up, so in that sense, a leisure battery holds no real advantage. But it is likely to last longer, because of those thicker plates, again, unless sulfation gets it.

I should perhaps add that these things are important to us as we are off grid, and use lead acid batteries as our energy storage, so I have had to make a bit of both a study and develop some experience with it. The question is the applicability to EVs' 12v requirement, and I think it's a mixture of shallow-ish discharge and longevity that we are after. I think any good quality battery will provide this; it's not a hard use case.

It is right that we do not have to be concerned about CCA rating, but on the other hand, that aspect of a battery spec can just be ignored. For absolutely sure, if a dealer started persuading you to buy a battery based on its start/stop abililty for your MG4, run, don't walk, away.

The more important question, I think, and what I haven't bothered to check, is whether the factory battery is AGM or flooded. I would absolutely replace an AGM with an AGM, or a flooded for a flooded, or I would expect the charging regime to have to take the change into account somehow.

Finally, a little car anecdote. I bought my beloved Land Rover Heritage, Mungo, new in 2000. I sold him reluctantly and sadly 17 years later. He still had his original battery under the passenger seat, working just fine. Good batteries can last. (And I hope the large 2v forklift cells now in out battery shed do last, not only because of cost, but because each 2v cell weighs 55kg, and I had to lug them to the battery shed!)

I hope that helps.

Thanks that helpful. No haven't checked yet. Can any 12v battery with this size be used?

Will this work?

Do anyone know if that Varta battery will workbwith my M4?
Personally I would avoid Silver Calcium batteries as IIRC they need a high charge rate to keep them healthy which EV's don't usually do under normal operation.

At the risk of adding warmth to this discussion, and largely echoing, I think, what @tsedge has mentioned, there is a difference internally in batteries that are designed to discharge shallowly, but rapidly, such as those good for turning over a cold ICE engine more or less frequently (start/stop) and those designed for longer life when discharging much more deeply, but being discharged at much lower rates, such as leisure batteries, or, more interestingly, forklift truck batteries.

The main difference, as I understand it, is the lead plates that constitute the cells in the battery. For delivering heavy amperage, and also for being able to absorb a high rate of charge, more, thinner plates are necessary, sometimes with structure such as holes to prevent buckling. For delivering power longer, and being able to discharge deeply without excessive sulfation, the most frequent killer of lead acid batteries, fewer, thicker plates of lead are necessary. So there absolutely is a key difference between an ICE starter battery and a leisure style battery.

Leisure batteries are designed to be able to discharge as low as 20% state of charge (SOC) but it's always best with lead acids not to go that far down, for longer life. The issue I am uncertain of, is that in an EV, the electronics are unlikely to require the 12v battery to be deeply discharged. The traction battery will top it up, so in that sense, a leisure battery holds no real advantage. But it is likely to last longer, because of those thicker plates, again, unless sulfation gets it.

I should perhaps add that these things are important to us as we are off grid, and use lead acid batteries as our energy storage, so I have had to make a bit of both a study and develop some experience with it. The question is the applicability to EVs' 12v requirement, and I think it's a mixture of shallow-ish discharge and longevity that we are after. I think any good quality battery will provide this; it's not a hard use case.

It is right that we do not have to be concerned about CCA rating, but on the other hand, that aspect of a battery spec can just be ignored. For absolutely sure, if a dealer started persuading you to buy a battery based on its start/stop abililty for your MG4, run, don't walk, away.

The more important question, I think, and what I haven't bothered to check, is whether the factory battery is AGM or flooded. I would absolutely replace an AGM with an AGM, or a flooded for a flooded, or I would expect the charging regime to have to take the change into account somehow.

Finally, a little car anecdote. I bought my beloved Land Rover Heritage, Mungo, new in 2000. I sold him reluctantly and sadly 17 years later. He still had his original battery under the passenger seat, working just fine. Good batteries can last. (And I hope the large 2v forklift cells now in out battery shed do last, not only because of cost, but because each 2v cell weighs 55kg, and I had to lug them to the battery shed!)

I hope that helps.

The dealer told me this would be sufficient. EA472 Exide Premium Car Battery 063TE

It's listed as wet, but I'm unsure. Doesn't look like something you can refill.

Last edited:
I've said enough on this and the other thread, others can take it from here.

TLDR summary:
  • Any 12V battery that fits will work.
  • Pointless to look at CCA and Start/Stop batteries as they offer nothing to EVs.
  • The MG supplied battery is a cheap basic ICE 12V battery, not specially designed for EVs and may have limited lifespan.
  • Leisure batteries are likely to be a better fit to the demands of EVs and last longer.
  • You can spend too long trying to decide what's best as a replacement.

I think you're right.
The Exide EA472 ( 063TE ) is a wet cell unit and cheap enough at under £50 and still comes with a 4 year warranty, which is way better than the one year warranty that comes with the OEM battery at least 🤣.
I think the majority of 12 volt batteries are pretty much sealed for life these days.
The Bosch battery ( S5 A05 BOSCH AGM CAR BATTERY 12V 60AH TYPE 027 S5A05 ) is of the AGM design.
It has a higher 60Ah capacity which is good, but it's over twice the price of the Exide unit and only offers an extra 1 years warranty.
Is it worth the extra expense .................. 🤷‍♂️.
How long do you intend to keep the car, is the 99 dollar question I guess !.

A mid price leisure battery can be had for less tha £90 and that's for a 120Ah one. But the ones we fit on a daily basis of this Ah to our fleet of boats are maybe 1.5x the size of the existing MG battery.
Just trying to say thatl eisure batteries don't have to be that much more expensive.

What about getting the battery physically into the car? I remember getting the wrong battery for a car ages ago and it simply wouldn't fit. The battery housing was made to take a very specific size.

I've said enough on this and the other thread, others can take it from here.

TLDR summary:
  • Any 12V battery that fits will work.
  • Pointless to look at CCA and Start/Stop batteries as they offer nothing to EVs.
  • The MG supplied battery is a cheap basic ICE 12V battery, not specially designed for EVs and may have limited lifespan.
  • Leisure batteries are likely to be a better fit to the demands of EVs and last longer.
  • You can spend too long trying to decide what's best as a replacement.

If the original battery fitted by MG isn't a Leisure, it's probably fine using the cheap Exide I hope.

What about getting the battery physically into the car? I remember getting the wrong battery for a car ages ago and it simply wouldn't fit. The battery housing was made to take a very specific size.
The actual battery tray is larger than the OEM battery so there is definitely scope for fitting a larger battery

It is common for manufactures to provide a larger battery tray, as supplying cars to very cold climates may require a larger powered unit.
But generally you will find that they install a battery that will do the job, without going over board on spec size and more output due to the cost and weight.
Installing a better quality battery, that maybe a little larger in power and actual size is no bad thing, budget allowing of course.

The one recommended by your dealer will be OK. It comes with a 4 year warranty which is 4 times the original one and at that price you can replace it in 4 years time and it will still be cheaper than a lot of the others.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back