Does it take longer to charge the ZS EV when it's cold?

AJD10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell if it take longer to charger mg zs ev in cold weather. As I started to chargey car at 19:00hrs yesterday and I went to check this morning and it's wasn't fully charged. Thanks for any infor.

I charged mine in cold weather recently and it took 7hrs to charge and similar to equalise so maybe yours is the same bms .is the MG badge flashing or solid .although i expect it has finished now as its been over 15hrs .

I will ask the wife as I'm in work, I do hope it's fully charged after all this time. Or the be issue for the dealer to look at.
Thanks for the reply.

Mine didn't seem any different at -3 deg C last week, it was still pulling over 7kW on my smart meter monitor.

It charged to 100% but only a range of 105 miles. It be goin back to the dealer with the issues and wait to see what they suggest. Thanks for the reply

Before you ring the dealer, just try clearing BOTH of the "trip counters" in the car !.
If you have a lot of trips recorded on the "Accumulated" trip meter, it will be reflected on your predicted range after a charge.
Boot up the car and take note of the mileage on the GOM, then when you clear the "Trips" - see what it displays then.
I had almost a 1,000 miles recorded on my "Accumulated Trip Meter" last week, when I cleared the data, the estimated mileage on the GOM increased by over 15 miles before my very eye's !.
I would be expecting to see about 125 miles of range ( ish ) in this weather for a full charge.
Oh ............ Do you have a home energy meter by any chance ?.
If so, what was the car pulling in kw's when it was on charge ?.
From below 97% SOC it should be pulling the Max 7.0 kw's from the wall box.
My car has a issue when sometimes it only pull 3.6 kw's instead of the Max 7.0 kw's.
I am using a Rolec unit also.
Your charge time will be doubled if you are only pulling 3.6 kw's.
Just something else to check and consider.
A lot of that time spent on charge, would be the balancing process.
How old is your car, how many miles has it covered and what software updates have been installed ?.

The car is only 3 months old and with lock down I not done more than 400 miles, I will try what you suggested. There is a issue with the car, as even 100% it shows a range of 125 miles and the dealer knows about this glitch. Thanks for the reply

Mine didn't seem any different at -3 deg C last week, it was still pulling over 7kW on my smart meter monitor.
Your car will not pull more than 7kw from your home charger as the onboard charger in the car will limit it to around 6.65kw max as far as I am aware. My car did a charge last night, 3hr 54 min to take on 23.1kwh. I use a Wallbox Pulsar, Outside temp was -1c🙂

Last edited:
I agree that the onboard AC converter limits the charge. I do see around + 7kw drain on my home system when charging though.

I agree that the onboard AC converter limits the charge. I do see around + 7kw drain on my home system when charging though.
I would have thought that if the car is only accepting 6.65kw then the output from your charger would be the same. I do notice my charger is always flickering between 6.60/6.65kw as the charger is working.

I've read that there is a loss of energy when charging, so if it's doing the max the battery can charge at 6.6kW, it'll be pulling more than that load from your actual meter.

I was looking at the WLTP figures from MG ZS EV
Range163 mi
Rated Consumption295 Wh/mi
Vehicle Consumption260 Wh/mi
Rated = official figures as published by manufacturer. Rated consumption and fuel equivalency figures include charging losses.
Vehicle = calculated battery energy consumption used by the vehicle for propulsion and on-board systems

FYI:
260Wh/mi X 163mi = 42.380kWh (Which we believe is the unofficial usable battery capacity)
295Wh/mi X 163mi = 48.085kWh
Gives an energy conversion loss of 1kWh : 1.135kWh

FYI re: The Electrical Information car dash screen when charging.
I'd been thinking about the Amps figure shown.
When charging with granny charger, I'm assuming the cars getting roughly the rated 10Amps from the mains - at 230V that's 2300Watts.
The Amps figure on the dash shows -5A.
So the Amp figure on the dash must be related to the battery voltage, as 5Amps at the displayed 395Volts is 1975Watts (btw 5Amps at 450V is 2250watts).
I was initially thinking, why is it not showing 10amps as that's the granny chargers rating!?!

Hmm, it'd be interesting to know if it were to show 6Amps rather than 5Amps when the voltage displayed was say <380Volts. As that would mean the Amps shown is related directly to the current voltage displayed rather than the full 450 odd voltage. If you know what I mean!

Your car will not pull more than 7kw from your home charger as the onboard charger in the car will limit it to around 6.65kw max as far as I am aware. My car did a charge last night, 3hr 54 min to take on 23.1kwh. I use a Wallbox Pulsar, Outside temp was -1c🙂
I know that, losses etc. and a computer and the telly on drawing half a kW. :rolleyes:

lana del rey yes GIF

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom