• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Does only charging on Rapids affect the MG ZS EV battery life?

Orcadian

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We are changing to an MG ZS EV later this month. We are unable to get the car to the house, but we have a rapid charger about 50 mts from the house. I have used this for the Leaf most times . Is there anyone who charges on Rapids who can tell me if it affects the battery life?

Hi and welcome to the forum. All rapid charging will have an impact on the degradation of the battery. However, it won’t be anything like that experienced by Leaf owners. Just try not to fully deplete or fully charge the battery. Likewise don’t constantly hard accelerate although that probably won’t be possible on the Orkneys.

Most times I will probably be charging from 20% to 85-90% once or twice a week. That is in normal times that is. We may be trying a long trip down to Englandshire if and when we are back to "Normal"

You may find a message popping up on the screen telling you to slow charge to full every so often, this is to balance the battery cells. You can do this on any 7 kWh charger if there's one nearby, Tescos have free ones.

You won’t have any problems with that charging regime although the MG manual recommends a slow charge ( granny / 7Kw) to full once a month to equalise the battery cells.

You may find a message popping up on the screen telling you to slow charge to full every so often, this is to balance the battery cells. You can do this on any 7 kWh charger if there's one nearby, Tescos have free ones.
Thanks for your reply. we have been driving a Leaf for four years and we love the car. The main reason for the change is the higher driving/entry position, I guess you could say we are in the old codgers class ;-)

I wasn't a fan of SUVs until I got the ZS and realised how much easier it is to get in and out without twisting my old knees. It feels like I'm sat on the ground when I get in and out of my Prius now.

I wasn't a fan of SUVs until I got the ZS and realised how much easier it is to get in and out without twisting my old knees. It feels like I'm sat on the ground when I get in and out of my Prius now.
I know that feeling. I have had a hip replacement and my wife has had both knees replaced. It's the only thing against the Leaf for me, but we have to think ahead.

I know that feeling. I have had a hip replacement and my wife has had both knees replaced. It's the only thing against the Leaf for me, but we have to think ahead.
@Orcadian
ZS EV does the job fine for all old codgers and those withbmobility problems alike. Very comfortable and enjoyable to drive.
The charging advice given is absolutely correct. In the past I may have been advocating one or the other stricter charging regimes and I will still advocate those were it is reasonabley possible but in your situation as mentioned by @Mgkev just basic carefullness to avoid completely depleting the battery and persistently over charging will do the trick. The BMS and battery cooling in the ZS EV is far better than that of the 1st generation Air-cooled Nissan batteries so degradation is unlikely to be much of an issue here. All I will add is that if almost all your charging will be on a DC rapid charger then preferably you use at most a 50kW charger for charging between 20% to 80% SOC. Occasionally where possible after a 80% charge go unto a 7kW charge to charge up to 100%. My guess is that if your mileage is limited anyway then doing this once every 2 months or 6 to 8 weeks may suffice.

Thank you all for your help and advice. The problem is that I usually charge on a rapid as there is one about fifty yards from my house. 7 kw chargers in town 14 miles away. In Orkney you are limited to one hour on a rapid and three hours on a type two, then you incur a penalty. I suppose I could charge on the rapid near home then when we go into town (Corvid allowing) I could top up on a type two while we do our shopping etc. Any thoughts/

Thank you all for your help and advice. The problem is that I usually charge on a rapid as there is one about fifty yards from my house. 7 kw chargers in town 14 miles away. In Orkney you are limited to one hour on a rapid and three hours on a type two, then you incur a penalty. I suppose I could charge on the rapid near home then when we go into town (Corvid allowing) I could top up on a type two while we do our shopping etc. Any thoughts/
Your plan sounds good. I do not think you will have any problems at all.

Just a thought. How close can you get to yours or a friends house?
If just for an occasional balance charge then could you get away with a weather proof extension lead. 20m is doable.

Just a thought. How close can you get to yours or a friends house?
If just for an occasional balance charge then could you get away with a weather proof extension lead. 20m is doable.
Thanks for your reply Skippy. Unfortunately I'm about 25-30 meters from a communal car park. I am trying to pluck up courage to ask a neighbour to let me use their home charger once in a while. The reason I am hesitating is they have been so very helpful over the lock down period. It seems a bit cheeky.

Thanks for your reply Skippy. Unfortunately I'm about 25-30 meters from a communal car park. I am trying to pluck up courage to ask a neighbour to let me use their home charger once in a while. The reason I am hesitating is they have been so very helpful over the lock down period. It seems a bit cheeky.
I can only speak for myself. I wouldn’t find it cheeky. I have neighbours who don’t have off-road parking so I’d be more than happy to let them charge. If it was regular then we might want to come to some arrangement about costs, but I do what I can to help people to get into EV life.

I can only speak for myself. I wouldn’t find it cheeky. I have neighbours who don’t have off-road parking so I’d be more than happy to let them charge. If it was regular then we might want to come to some arrangement about costs, but I do what I can to help people to get into EV life.
Any houses for sale on your road ? :sneaky: :LOL:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom