ECU Module version spreadsheet

I think I will speak to them about it and see what they say.

I got a 'follow-up' call from Frasers at Falkirk today to confirm we were happy with the wife's ZS EV (which we are) and I reminded them that our BMS is not the most recent, and Wullie (he's the Sales Manager for the Edinburgh branch but working out of Falkirk due to the Covid restrictions) again said that it'll not be a problem for me to bring back the car and he'll organise the BMS update.

To be honest, whilst I'm a fan of 'if it ain't broke...' I will be moving to Octopus later this year so I can get the reduced charging tariff and will need the ability to schedule charging. Am I right in saying that I will need the latest BMS for this and the June 2020 BMS doesn't have the ability to 'wake up' the car for scheduled charging?

Cheers

Bloggsy

I think I will speak to them about it and see what they say.
Dave I've finally got round to updating the spreadsheet with your cars data.

Given your BMS version does have a small issue with it and, the new ones been out over a couple of months now and would seem to be fine.
I think if I were you, I would ask them to put the latest version of the software on it when it's back in next week.

I got a 'follow-up' call from Frasers at Falkirk today to confirm we were happy with the wife's ZS EV (which we are) and I reminded them that our BMS is not the most recent, and Wullie (he's the Sales Manager for the Edinburgh branch but working out of Falkirk due to the Covid restrictions) again said that it'll not be a problem for me to bring back the car and he'll organise the BMS update.

To be honest, whilst I'm a fan of 'if it ain't broke...' I will be moving to Octopus later this year so I can get the reduced charging tariff and will need the ability to schedule charging. Am I right in saying that I will need the latest BMS for this and the June 2020 BMS doesn't have the ability to 'wake up' the car for scheduled charging?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Unfortunately it's not quite that straight forward, the charging change/fix involves other ECU updates, they were usually applied at the same time as the BMS update, BUT not always and not alway applied correctly....
You may well have the latest changes already that allow the scheduled charge (car to be woken up). If you can't actually test that yet, try and see if you can AC charge unlocked - if you can then I'd say chances are you will be able to do the scheduled charging.

Unfortunately it's not quite that straight forward, the charging change/fix involves other ECU updates, they were usually applied at the same time as the BMS update, BUT not always and not alway applied correctly....
You may well have the latest changes already that allow the scheduled charge (car to be woken up). If you can't actually test that yet, try and see if you can AC charge unlocked - if you can then I'd say chances are you will be able to do the scheduled charging.

Thanks JodyS21 - with the update to Pod Point now out, I'll give the timed charge a go tonight.

Cheers

Bloggsy

It’s not always straightforward (that’s the legacy of designing with multiple dependant updates across icu’s) - as you quite rightly say. I show 455v fully charged, can timed-charge but not AC charge with doors unlocked 🤪

It’s not always straightforward (that’s the legacy of designing with multiple dependant updates across icu’s) - as you quite rightly say. I show 455v fully charged, can timed-charge but not AC charge with doors unlocked 🤪
Could I be right in thinking, that you may have the first "smart charging" update that allows some chargers to work but not the "second smart charging update"?
First update if I recall correctly, allowed scheduled charging but the charger had to start a trickle charge to keep the car alive until it did the real charge. The second update allows the charger to wake the car up "properly" to charge when it wants to (still maybe a 10hour delay window though)????

Could I be right in thinking, that you may have the first "smart charging" update that allows some chargers to work but not the "second smart charging update"?
First update if I recall correctly, allowed scheduled charging but the charger had to start a trickle charge to keep the car alive until it did the real charge. The second update allows the charger to wake the car up "properly" to charge when it wants to (still maybe a 10hour delay window though)????
Possibly - I would love to be able to pull data via obd and get some ecu versions - when a reliable ios app is available.
Did you see that dealers are told to equalise poorly balanced batteries by leaving car in ready state once fully charged? Not seen this before.
I had a recent issue when I plugged car in about 9hrs before timed charge was set and it failed. Not sure if the lead-time to timed charging matters much but it may if it’s using a trickle. Anyway it works ok if I plug in around 5pm and have a timed charge start at 00.30 next day.

Hi JodyS21, please find my screen(s) from the APP, this from my second car delivered in November 2020, after first car got burned by MG staff as mentioned in my first posting from the OBD project.

BMS update done in late "January", balancing since then on "Granny" @home, some rapid charging since updating, but not more then 10-15 times on 50kW chargers to 80-90% charge.

Screenshot_20210411-150503_ZS EV.jpg Screenshot_20210411-150517_ZS EV.jpgScreenshot_20210411-150545_ZS EV.jpgScreenshot_20210411-150557_ZS EV.jpgScreenshot_20210411-150819_ZS EV.jpg

Hi JodyS21, please find my screen(s) from the APP, this from my second car delivered in November 2020, after first car got burned by MG staff as mentioned in my first posting from the OBD project.

BMS update done in late "January", balancing since then on "Granny" @home, some rapid charging since updating, but not more then 10-15 times on 50kW chargers to 80-90% charge.
I've added your data to the spreadsheet.
You have the standard non UK EPS module.

I've added a link to the spreadsheet in the opening/top post, as I've just realised I think it was just a picture inserted so people wouldn't be able to sort/search it etc.

Can someone just check they can access the linked spreadsheet ok please, thanks.

I've added a link to the spreadsheet in the opening/top post, as I've just realised I think it was just a picture inserted so people wouldn't be able to sort/search it etc.

Can someone just check they can access the linked spreadsheet ok please, thanks.
Hi JodyS21, I have downloaded the spreadsheet, just added some updates below for it, cheers...
RegisteredLast UpdatedComfort 2AC unlockedTimed chargeGraphicsBMS installedBattery heaterCar Model
11/2015/1/21YesYesYesNo15/1/21YesExclusive

My apologies if I’m going off topic or covering well known territory by you, but do we know specifically what the faulty bms software was designed to solve? It occurred to me that there must have been an issue with those cars with the pre-faulty software in order to warrant an update? What this means is that if you are running the pre-faulty bms (like I believe I am) you’ll still have whatever it was trying to cure? Was it trying to rectify issues with cell balancing?

@JodyS21 is it possible to have your spreadsheet uploaded to something like google sheets/onedrive so that it can be sorted and filtered?

Also we had the early form of this from OVMS:
1618379151294.png

Feel free to take anything useful from it

Couple of notes, (not sure if discussed earlier in the thread):
"R40" was the first BMS with issues R40 BMS Update (range and balancing issues)
EVCC is only available when the car is plugged in.

Thanks for the great work

It's took a while but I finally hit the 449v a few days ago. However only got the data pulled off today (can't wait to get home syndrome at end of working day).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-121311.png
    Screenshot_20210414-121311.png
    434.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20210414-121319.png
    Screenshot_20210414-121319.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_20210414-121326.png
    Screenshot_20210414-121326.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 162
Fresh update from the Garage today 😌
View attachment 2844

Fantastic Septian! As a matter of interest, did you specifically ask for it (or did they just apply it), did they charge you for it, how long did you leave the car with them for and have you noticed any difference since changing from the June 2020 BMS (range, balancing time, etc.)?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Fantastic Septian! As a matter of interest, did you specifically ask for it (or did they just apply it), did they charge you for it, how long did you leave the car with them for and have you noticed any difference since changing from the June 2020 BMS (range, balancing time, etc.)?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Nothing yet mate, need to charge it this weekend, but I didn't pay for anything as I told them that it was taking forever to balance (which was true) and they did it under warranty :) (they even cleaned the car for me, lol)

@JodyS21 is it possible to have your spreadsheet uploaded to something like google sheets/onedrive so that it can be sorted and filtered?

Also we had the early form of this from OVMS:

Feel free to take anything useful from it

Couple of notes, (not sure if discussed earlier in the thread):
"R40" was the first BMS with issues R40 BMS Update (range and balancing issues)
EVCC is only available when the car is plugged in.

Thanks for the great work

Cheers Mike

Coincidence, I only realised a few days ago the spreadsheet was a picture rather than an actual spreadsheet that folk could search/sort.
I've put a link in now to it on my dropbox, so it's downloadable

Slightly off subject, but.
Have you guys found a command that can be issued to keep the OBD2 port alive, without setting the alarm off?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom