Edf go electric98

All new smart meters will be SMETS2 now.
ISTR Octopus's web site saying they can read some SMETS1 meters and there is a list of them somewhere on there.
Mine's not on the list. :(
Here's part of an email reply I got from Octopus when I enquired about SMETS1
"There are currently 2 generations of smart meters; these are SMETS1 and SMETS2 meters. At the moment, we are only able to remotely read secure branded SMETS1 meters, however, we can remotely read and connect to all brands of SMETS2 meters. You currently have a Landis and Gyr SMETS1 meter and unfortunately we are not able to connect to these."

Last edited:
I'm with Eon but leaving to move to Octopus as well maybe at the end of the month. Can you let me know how you get on please? I've got the Eon smart meter so I'll need to check to see if that's compatible with Octopus, which may save some time 🤞

Cheers

Bloggsy
It’s good that the podpoint timed-charge app is now out - good timing for you if you move to Octopus 🐙

Hi,
I have just picked up my MG5 and looking for a good tariff for night charging.
This one drops the price from 9pm until 7am and all weekend.
Is anyone on it?
I picked it because it gives longer cheap hours than the others, I can put on charge at 9pm and just leave it until sometime next day. I also try to use things like washer and dryer after 9pm to take advantage of it.

Hi,
Is anyone on it?
I use it for the longer hours, I can put on charge at 9pm and just leave until sometime next day. I also try to use things like washer and dryer after 9pm to take advantage of it.

Hi,
Is anyone on it?
I am on EDF go electric35 it costs me 8pence per kw to charge

I also chose the EDF (equivalent to the go 98). However, I then realised that my smart meter (installed initially by Shell) has never worked having been asked for a meter reading. No one told me and religiously I have charged my car, used the washing machine and dishwasher after 9pm. It is now being investigated but my problem with the 4 or 5 hour cheap rate Octopus is that I do not have a timer and do not fancy getting up during the night to switch things on. Having looked at the tariff video if I did have a timer I like the idea of charging more regularly and not letting the miles to go get lower than 100. Hopefully EDF will sort out my smart meter soon.
In the meantime does anyone know if Octopus would put in a new smart meter even though I have one installed at the moment. By the way my Gas smart meter works fine. I understand that if my smart meter works I can purchase a timer kit.

I also chose the EDF (equivalent to the go 98). However, I then realised that my smart meter (installed initially by Shell) has never worked having been asked for a meter reading. No one told me and religiously I have charged my car, used the washing machine and dishwasher after 9pm. It is now being investigated but my problem with the 4 or 5 hour cheap rate Octopus is that I do not have a timer and do not fancy getting up during the night to switch things on. Having looked at the tariff video if I did have a timer I like the idea of charging more regularly and not letting the miles to go get lower than 100. Hopefully EDF will sort out my smart meter soon.
In the meantime does anyone know if Octopus would put in a new smart meter even though I have one installed at the moment. By the way my Gas smart meter works fine. I understand that if my smart meter works I can purchase a timer kit.
I believe Octopus will replace a SMETS1 meter with SMETS2 as part of the deal; no idea how you differentiate between them though!

I already have the SMETS2. Not sure why it does not communicate, above me. It has been hard work trying to get the meter checked out. Time will tell.

Hi,
Is anyone on it?
Sse give 8000 miles free charging, down side is its only between 12 midnight and 8 am, put it on at 11 and get charged 30p+ for being lazy

Sse give 8000 miles free charging, down side is its only between 12 midnight and 8 am, put it on at 11 and get charged 30p+ for being lazy
30p x 7kW, £2.10 for the first hour. 😲

On the EV/Rolec site for that charge it said cost 33p
In fact what I did was connect the cable up and left the car unlocked , mine does not charge when unlocked for some reason, also the app ignores my request for only to charge at 1p
Lo and behold went out at past 11pm and the car had locked and already started charging , can't be bothered to argue the toss with anyone for minor costs like that
Must confess the it was a job getting SSE to put me on this tariff , think its called Fix and Drive , but worth it so far
But again West Yorkshire we have plenty of chargers that are free to use

SMART METERS - DON'T MENTION SMART METERS! 😩 - I changed over to Octopus from my previous supplier in January 2021 and applied for the new Smart Meters to be installed in preparation to move over to the Go Faster tariff.

The Meter fitter came to do the changeover in March and could not get the meters to communicate at all well with the main data hub, which they claim was due to a poor signal.

The fitter came back again the next day and managed to get the electric one working but this was still intermittent.

Last week the fitter came back again with a T2 aerial and a new type of 420 hub but couldn't fit it as he told me the 420 Hub was for use in the Telifonica area, which is the system used to send data to the main centre from Manchester downwards and covering the whole South of the country.

Arquiva is the Company that is used to acquire the data in the North and Scotland and they use a totally different system to Telefonica that does the communication by Long Reach Radio not GPRS and both systems are completely different for this reason.

The fitter told me i needed a 450 type Hub to work with Arquiva, which is a Dual Band system, but this is not available until it has been certified around July 2021.

I have since learned that GCHQ and the British Government have developed a new secure dedicated data system called DCC which is due to be rolled out across the country during this year, which they claim will be able to communicate with the 99.5% of home Smart Meters.

Until then where I am situated, just off the beach in Bispham, Blackpool, a smart meter currently doesn't seem to communicate very well using Long Reach Radio, even though this system is used by most Life Boat Stations around the country for communication 😳

Octopus said they will try again on the 4th May, but I don't hold my breath until the roll out of the DCC network, it's actually cheaper for me to charge my car in a car park in Cleveleys down the road using a BP Pulse Chargemaster than at home right now 🤨

Here is some bedtime reading for you.

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited:
Andy, I feel your pain.

Smart meter installed by Octopus in November.....no connection to WAN.

Various emails, phone calls and a letter to complain has only just resulted in an engineer re-visit appointment in May (due to Scottish lockdown regs).

I'm not hopeful, tbh

Kithmo
Just had a look at the charging history for last 30 days on EV/Rolec app Charged 119 kw total cost £1.48
Just at home or including your free charges around West Yorkshire ?

Andy, I feel your pain.

Smart meter installed by Octopus in November.....no connection to WAN.

Various emails, phone calls and a letter to complain has only just resulted in an engineer re-visit appointment in May (due to Scottish lockdown regs).

I'm not hopeful, tbh
Oh dear! I'm looking at moving energy suppliers by the end of the month and it doesn't look good!

Cheers

Bloggsy

It sounds like it very much depends on where you live. I’m hearing quite a lot of issues from Scotland (again I suppose it’s about postcode area and some areas in Scotland might be great). My own experience in the Midlands was very good and quick.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom