Edf go electric98

I booked my smart meter installation with my current provider Bulb as it was less than two weeks.
Do I have to wait for it to be fitted brfore i start the swtich to a new supplier or as it takes a couple of weeks does that not matter plus its a third party doing the meters anyway?
It can take 2 to 3 weeks to switch supplier but your existing supplier are notified within a few days. Once they know you are leaving they may put a stop on your meter change.

I already have the SMETS2. Not sure why it does not communicate, above me. It has been hard work trying to get the meter checked out. Time will tell.
Do you have a decent mobile phone signal in your area? I used to work for British Gas and this was always the problem when we started installing smart meters.

Just home charging , charged last night at home and put 22kw in at a cost of 25p
I am so very jealous Kithmo, the good thing I noticed today was that Octopus asked me for my manual readings while my New Smart Meters are not talking to them.

So I took the reading from the electric meter and then went down the hall to the Gas Meter and found the display was completely blank.

After phoning Octopus to tell them this, they asked me to hold one of the buttons for 5 seconds to get the display on, this I did and got the message "No HAN", and could not get a display of usage numbers whatsoever, so maybe getting free gas at the moment, I don't know! 😂😂😂

Andy (Blackpool)

Hi,
I have just picked up my MG5 and looking for a good tariff for night charging.
This one drops the price from 9pm until 7am and all weekend.
Is anyone on it?
I'm on the same one (but older capped till Nov 21) where it is 8p overnight, to be honest it's brilliant for us as We're not home in the week (still working full time not at home) and most of our electricity usage is on the weekend, so car gets charged then :) I'd probably still go for Electric98 when this one is up.

So I'm on Octopus Go. 5p overnight and 14p during the day.

Gas is also much cheaper than my previous British Gas. Only took a couple of weeks to get my smart meter installed.

If you do join please use my referral link and we both get £50 🙏

Octopus Energy

I used it earlier this morning 😉
Oh wow thank you very much, first one. Once you're you're signed up post yours and others can use it. Might as well help each other, thats what I did when I signed up. I pay so much less than I ever did with British gas, EV car or not it's worth switching.

I use "OctopusGo" which gives 4 hours at 5p which will give you about 90-100 miles over night which is enough for most people's daily use and if you need longer then after 4: am it switched to the daytime 15p rate. This will workout a lot cheaper than EDF. Or if you regularly need more than 4 hours charge there is "OctopusGo Fast" which give 5 hours at 5.5p and the daytime rate is 13.5p.

Use this referral link and you'll get £50 credit to your account and so will I so Win Win

If you've an estimate of your monthly EV mileage assume 3 to 3.5 miles per kWh and you'll get an estimate of your monthly kWh needed for charging. Now calculate the OctopusGo at 5p or OctopusGo-Fast at 5.5p
Check your current electricity usage from you bill. probably simplest to take their stated annual estimate which will be based on past 12 months and divide by 12. Now unless you run your washer/dish-washer or heat hot water tank overnight you could assume most of that current use is in the day and would be at the day time rate. Use this figure to calculate the cost at day rate at 14p for OctopustGo or 13.5p for OctopusGo-Fast for the cost of your regular usage.
You can now get the comparison between the two Octopus tariffs. Personally I don't find I need to charge every night so I have time shifted my Hot-water heating from Gas onto 4 hours of 5p electricity and time shift Dishwasher on time to after 1pm and therefore even on days I don't charge my ZS 40% of my electricity is at 5p rate on Octopus Go.

Use this referral link and you'll get £50 credit to your account and so will I so Win Win
go to share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175
Hi Barry, I am sure you don't mind but I have used your code to join Octopus. I thought I would choose you as we are only in Rayleigh so keeping it local. Sandra

Hi Barry, I am sure you don't mind but I have used your code to join Octopus. I thought I would choose you as we are only in Rayleigh so keeping it local. Sandra
Thanks, This whole getting set up when you have a new EV can seem like one hurdle after another but worth it when it is sorted. I made a (reversible) mod to my PoPoint last year to ensure I could charge in the 00:30 to 4:30 time window and get 5 p rate but fortunately, PodPoint App now has an "At Home" tab and I can schedule my regular charging there and it works a dream.

Get OctopusGo for 5p per kWh EV charging using this link and we both earn £50 credit share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

Last edited:
Thanks, This whole getting set up when you have a new EV can seem like one hurdle after another but worth it when it is sorted. I made a (reversible) mod to my PoPoint last year to ensure I could charge in the 00:30 to 4:30 time window and get 5 p rate but fortunately, PodPoint App now has an "At Home" tab and I can schedule my regular charging there and it works a dream.

Get OctopusGo for 5p per kWh EV charging using this link and we both earn £50 credit share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

Hi Barry, well my Octopus change has gone through very smoothly and even my £50.00 credit is showing, hope yours is too. In fact 2 days after I switched I was changed over to the Go Tariff, I have now applied for the Go Faster tariff to get an earlier cheap rate so that other appliances can be used in off peak. I have a Rolec charger and although it charges to get it online has been a massive problem. They are now going to fit a new modem, so hopefully regardless of when the cheap rate comes in I will be able to take advantage. Thanks again for allowing me to use your link. Sandra

I'm with Eon but leaving to move to Octopus as well maybe at the end of the month. Can you let me know how you get on please? I've got the Eon smart meter so I'll need to check to see if that's compatible with Octopus, which may save some time 🤞

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Bloggsy, I was with EDF, had a smart meter, but only found out 10 months into a year contract that the electric was not connecting with their system so had not been changed to the cheap tariff. The SMART meter was rectified having insisted on an engineer visit. On 9 May I switched to Octopus Go. Within 2 days I was connected so could take advantage of the 4 hour cheap rate. I then immediately applied for Go Faster, still 4 hours, but starting at 9.30 so that I could use the cheaper tariff for washing machine and dish washer. Within 6 days this had been granted at my selected time slot. I have nothing but praise for Octopus and thoroughly recommend them. Having said that I am at the opposite end of the UK to you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom