Status
Not open for further replies.

disappointedbuyer

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I've owned the car for 3 months. Here is the list of problems I've encountered:

1) The front right window is not sealed and lets both air and water into the car. When I took it to the dealer they told me this was a problem with all of the MG4s. They didn't even look at the problem.
2) The range I am getting is around 150km, not the advertised 360km. The car is perpetually on the maximum energy usage it will show (28.7kwh/100km). Even with intelligent battery heating off, the cars efficiency is often so bad it runs up on its display limit. I am not driving inefficiently - I'm pretty much only regenerative breaking and keeping the power usage under 40.
3) About 1/4 of the time the car just refuses to start charging (despite trying multiple chargers).
4) Not sure if this is an issue - but the wireless charging for the phones never worked for me.
5) Sensors are randomly going off saying my tire pressure is low despite showing normal tire pressure.
6) The lane assist is terrible and needs to be turned off every time you enter the car. It honestly feels like the car is trying to drive you off the road and kill you.

And finally - two days ago I left the car with 70% charge. It's now completely dead, stranding me in Switzerland. I'm told it might be the 12v battery? How is the 12v battery dead 3 months into owning the car?

What are my options here? I feel completely deceived by the dealer and the reviews. Do I just sell the car and cut my losses? Or is this a lemon and I should petition MG for a new car? The car is less reliable than a used car 1/10 its price.

As you're in Germany then you'll have the German equivalent of the UK's Consumer Rights Act 2015 (which is derived from an EU directive, hence why you should have an equivalent in Germany). This will give you rights against the seller to ensure the goods conform to contract.

1) Your dealer is talking rubbish - that's a fault.
2) Range is always lower in winter - half the range seems lower than would be expected; 2/3 range in winter would be more normal. But it depends on how you drive it.
3) This is a fault.
4) Is your phone in a case? Is that case quite thick? Wireless charging can be a bit hit-and-miss in a lot of cars.
5) This is a fault.
6) There's an update to tone down the aggressiveness of LKA - looks like your car hasn't had it. But even so, I usually just turn off LKA anyway.

On 3 - are you sure it is the car? There are different ways to start charging on different types of chargers and that assumes that the charger is working.
5 - have you inflated the tyres above the minimum pressure as if they are borderline then a drop in ambient temperature would trigger the warning and I suspect it's colder there.

Apologies if you are already aware of what I've put above, but I wouldn't accept my dealer's response on the first issue.

1) The front right window is not sealed and lets both air and water into the car. When I took it to the dealer they told me this was a problem with all of the MG4s. They didn't even look at the problem.
2) The range I am getting is around 150km, not the advertised 360km. The car is perpetually on the maximum energy usage it will show (28.7kwh/100km). Even with intelligent battery heating off, the cars efficiency is often so bad it runs up on its display limit. I am not driving inefficiently - I'm pretty much only regenerative breaking and keeping the power usage under 40.
3) About 1/4 of the time the car just refuses to start charging (despite trying multiple chargers).
4) Not sure if this is an issue - but the wireless charging for the phones never worked for me.
5) Sensors are randomly going off saying my tire pressure is low despite showing normal tire pressure.
6) The lane assist is terrible and needs to be turned off every time you enter the car. It honestly feels like the car is trying to drive you off the road and kill you.

And finally - two days ago I left the car with 70% charge. It's now completely dead, stranding me in Switzerland. I'm told it might be the 12v battery? How is the 12v battery dead 3 months into owning the car?

What are my options here? I feel completely deceived by the dealer and the reviews. Do I just sell the car and cut my losses? Or is this a lemon and I should petition MG for a new car? The car is less reliable than a used car 1/10 its price.
I dont think those really a major issue but obviously item 1 is manufacturing defect of your car.

1) Your dealer is obviously bullsh*tting you. This is not a common fault, let alone with the MG4.

2) Depending which model you have this might be fine in certain conditions (for an SE) or really bad (for a Trophy/Luxury model).

3) AC or DC charging? Our Ioniq 5 came with a faulty charging cable that would not connect some time. Took a while to figure this out.

4) It never worked for me either (iPhone 13). But it worked with the dealer's Samsung phone, so nothing had been done about it.

5) Try putting more than 2,6 bar in the tyres. The sensors tend to play up if the pressure fluctuates around the standard value due to temperature changes.

6) The is an update which makes it fine. Obviously this was not applied to your car even though there has been a campaign from MG Germany for all customers. Your dealer might really be not the best one out there.

12V) A few EVs do have 12V battery issues. They are very small, since they don't have to turn over a combustion engine, but just power up the HV system. So they can lose charge quickly e. g. when the car draws energy from the 12V and not the HV system. But anyway, after two days it should not be flat. It might just be faulty, some are.

Get your dealer to sort this out. Maybe you might want to document the faults and complaints in writing. Don't just make arrangements by phone, send an E-Mail, too, to have proof of notification. After two failed attempts of fixing the car you can return it.

Viel Glück!

1) Your dealer is obviously bullsh*tting you. This is not a common fault, let alone with the MG4.

2) Depending which model you have this might be fine in certain conditions (for an SE) or really bad (for a Trophy/Luxury model).

3) AC or DC charging? Our Ioniq 5 came with a faulty charging cable that would not connect some time. Took a while to figure this out.

4) It never worked for me either (iPhone 13). But it worked with the dealer's Samsung phone, so nothing had been done about it.

5) Try putting more than 2,6 bar in the tyres. The sensors tend to play up if the pressure fluctuates around the standard value due to temperature changes.

6) The is an update which makes it fine. Obviously this was not applied to your car even though there has been a campaign from MG Germany for all customers. Your dealer might really be not the best one out there.

12V) A few EVs do have 12V battery issues. They are very small, since they don't have to turn over a combustion engine, but just power up the HV system. So they can lose charge quickly e. g. when the car draws energy from the 12V and not the HV system. But anyway, after two days it should not be flat. It might just be faulty, some are.

Get your dealer to sort this out. Maybe you might want to document the faults and complaints in writing. Don't just make arrangements by phone, send an E-Mail, too, to have proof of notification. After two failed attempts of fixing the car you can return it.

Viel Glück!

And the OP has only posted once and hasn't been seen since.
Many MG owner really interested to know if build quality is really so mess with tons of issues as described, but obviously it is not, and only individual case. Some curiosity the MG pilot is sourced from Bosch, how come a well branded solution provider can offer such a substandard lane keep assist.

I had something similar - Dealership sorted that with a BMS (Battery Management s/w) update/flash

Hope you can get a dealership local to you that will help you and not fob you off

Many MG owner really interested to know if build quality is really so mess with tons of issues as described, but obviously it is not, and only individual case. Some curiosity the MG pilot is sourced from Bosch, how come a well branded solution provider can offer such a substandard lane keep assist.
On the last point it could be poor calibration and/or poor/buggy software. Depends how much of the system is under Bosch control.

I’ve had issues with the lane assist, pulling me INTO traffic though. Been told there’s a recall on mg4 a to fix the computers

They even took the time to select a specific MG4 model for their profile. 😂

The 'OP' never posted agin, so looks like a troll who wanted to throw stones at MG for his own personal reasons, maybe jealousy because he bought another brand for lots more money and realised he made a big mistake? Sounds like he never, ever owned an MG EV.

They even took the time to select a specific MG4 model for their profile. 😂

I didn't spot that at the time because I was on my phone and didn't rotate the screen. Not too bright, our Porky!

The 'OP' never posted agin, so looks like a troll who wanted to throw stones at MG for his own personal reasons, maybe jealousy because he bought another brand for lots more money and realised he made a big mistake? Sounds like he never, ever owned an MG EV.

You could well be right. One disgruntled post and no more. I tend to take people's stories at face value, especially with all that detail, but in retrospect it could well be a troll.

Another member noted that there's no evidence that some (most) of the people who voted in Stuart's poll that they were unhappy with their MG4s ever had one in the first place.

I’m in the same boat. Bought mine in December.
The resetting of the driver modes each time you start the car is infuriating! They keep saying MG are looking at a fix, but they don’t seem to be in a hurry. I find that the lane assist function decides to come on again even while I’m driving along!
The app is useless and I also get problems when trying to start or stop charging using the app- more often than not it just won’t work. This is not about a thick phone case- we have a Tesla with an app which functions all the time!
Now, the cruise control function has stopped and the automatic handbrake function has stopped.
The dealer can’t get it in to fix these issues for a month! - 2 months, if I want a courtesy car!
Oh and
1. The radio often loses set stations
2. The heated seat/ steering wheel also switches off when it wants to.
3. The mileage is around 40% less than it says.

I am thinking of ditching it and buying elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video