Endless problems with this terrible car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in the same boat. Bought mine in December.
The resetting of the driver modes each time you start the car is infuriating! They keep saying MG are looking at a fix, but they don’t seem to be in a hurry. I find that the lane assist function decides to come on again even while I’m driving along!
The app is useless and I also get problems when trying to start or stop charging using the app- more often than not it just won’t work. This is not about a thick phone case- we have a Tesla with an app which functions all the time!
Now, the cruise control function has stopped and the automatic handbrake function has stopped.
The dealer can’t get it in to fix these issues for a month! - 2 months, if I want a courtesy car!
Oh and
1. The radio often loses set stations
2. The heated seat/ steering wheel also switches off when it wants to.
3. The mileage is around 40% less than it says.

I am thinking of ditching it and buying elsewhere
You have an MG4 boat?!

Most of what you say makes no sense...

MG4's can definitely be used as a boat.

I've seen it on YouTube, so it must be true!

MG4's can definitely be used as a boat.

I've seen it on YouTube, so it must be true!

Helen W, just check your 12v battery connections are nice and tight.

So many issues seem to be related to this one thing.
Sounds like you might require a software update as well.

I’m in the same boat. Bought mine in December.
The resetting of the driver modes each time you start the car is infuriating! They keep saying MG are looking at a fix, but they don’t seem to be in a hurry. I find that the lane assist function decides to come on again even while I’m driving along!
The resetting of driver modes is intentional. It is a requirement of EuroNCAP for cars tested by them since 2022 in order to get their maximum safety rating. The thinking is that the car doesn't know who will drive it next, so it should always default to a standard mode with all the driver assistants turned on.

MG need a better way to set up and save a standard user profile and a simple way to switch to preferred settings without hunting through menus and options.

The lane keep assist function turns on at 37mph and off again before that or if it loses track of road markings. The icon in the top left of the driver's screen turns green when it is active, white when it is primed and will activate under the right conditions and yellow when the system is disabled.

The app is useless and I also get problems when trying to start or stop charging using the app- more often than not it just won’t work. This is not about a thick phone case- we have a Tesla with an app which functions all the time!
The app can be unreliable but for most people it works pretty well. The best way to start or stop charging is either via your home charger or using the in-car menu or the interface or app of a public charger.
Now, the cruise control function has stopped and the automatic handbrake function has stopped.
What do you mean that the cruise control has "stopped"? Stopped working? In what way, under what circumstances. Same with the automatic handbrake, what exactly has happened?

The dealer can’t get it in to fix these issues for a month! - 2 months, if I want a courtesy car!
Oh and
1. The radio often loses set stations
2. The heated seat/ steering wheel also switches off when it wants to.
3. The mileage is around 40% less than it says.
It might be worth looking at other dealers who are more accommodating. The warranty is valid at any MG dealer.

There are various software updates to the infotainment and the car module systems that can make big improvements to LKA, ACC and various functions. A good dealer will apply these in response to your reports of problems.

I am thinking of ditching it and buying elsewhere
That is obviously entirely your choice. However, I would recommend you try to get it fixed first, because almost any new car can have issues and you might go to another make and just swap your problems for another set.

Too many naive and uninformed buyers who simply can't adapt to change.

I've always thought this, as in all things in life.

Some folk just can't do it.

I've got a brother younger than myself (40's) and I know for a cold hard fact...
He could not work my car.

He just couldn't do it.

I could show him.

He still would not be able to get his head around it.

I mean he's not thick.

He's just not wired to be as technical as this car requires you to be.

I mean, to you, me and the vast majority of folk on here, it was just a learning process at the start.

I'm also quite sure that some people picked it up quicker than others.

The lack of a proper in your hand car manual didn't help Mr Old Skool. (Me)

But I got there by playing and testing everything.

I also managed to get a beautifully printed car manual from @Sloucher on here.
(Forgive me if I have that wrong)

I'm still learning things 7 months into the ownership of my car.

For example, I've just learnt how to have complete control of my entertainment system today with Alexa.

I don't even have to press the voice button anymore.

I also had all my apps show up on the screen for the first time because I tried out a different icon on the main screen.

Still learning. 👍

Last edited:
I've always thought this, as in all things in life.

Some folk just can't do it.

I've got a brother younger than myself (40's) and I know for a cold hard fact...
He could not work my car.

He just couldn't do it.

I could show him.

He still would not be able to get his head around it.

I mean he's not thick.

He's just not wired to be as technical as this car requires you to be.

I mean, to you, me and the vast majority of folk on here, it was just a learning process at the start.

I'm also quite sure that some people picked it up quicker than others.

The lack of a proper in your hand car manual didn't help Mr Old Skool. (Me)

But I got there by playing and testing everything.

I also managed to get a beautifully printed car manual from @Sloucher on here.
(Forgive me if I have that wrong)

I'm still learning things 7 months into the ownership of my car.

For example, I've just learnt how to have complete control of my entertainment system today with Alexa.

I don't even have to press the voice button anymore.

I also had all my apps show up on the screen for the first time because I tried out a different icon on the main screen.

Still learning. 👍
Excellent - this is my concern with 'electrifying' my house.
ASHP, domestic battery, solar and the car. If I peg it before my wife, she's reverting everything back to 60W light bulbs. And as for selling the property at some point. I guarantee the set up will deter some potential buyers.... in fact I'm not sure I actually know anyone else that could manage what I've installed, even with instruction and I'm becoming boderline. Starting to feel like my parents when VHS video recorders came in 😂😂😱

Sooo true m8!

My wifes knackered if I croak too early.

I've set up the completely Off Grid Solar System myself.

She really doesn't have a clue with all the idiosyncrasies of my personal set up.

I mean just one example, there are 38 settings on my 5KW inverter alone!

Never mind eh.

I shall be dead and will not be worrying about a thing. 🤣

Yeah, i meant not more than once - deaded 👻👻👻

Oh I don't know pal, a 240volt shock is quite stimulating!

Certainly focuses the mind in that instant!🤣

Like your first Lover, you will always remember your first mains electric shock.

I was 8, and taking apart a record player...........which I left plugged into the mains.
I nearly impaled my mother with the screwdriver I was holding!!!🤣

Oh happy memories! 🤪

Edit

I meant to add that there are some people who don't remember their first electic shock. 🤣

I've owned the car for 3 months. Here is the list of problems I've encountered:

1) The front right window is not sealed and lets both air and water into the car. When I took it to the dealer they told me this was a problem with all of the MG4s. They didn't even look at the problem.
2) The range I am getting is around 150km, not the advertised 360km. The car is perpetually on the maximum energy usage it will show (28.7kwh/100km). Even with intelligent battery heating off, the cars efficiency is often so bad it runs up on its display limit. I am not driving inefficiently - I'm pretty much only regenerative breaking and keeping the power usage under 40.
3) About 1/4 of the time the car just refuses to start charging (despite trying multiple chargers).
4) Not sure if this is an issue - but the wireless charging for the phones never worked for me.
5) Sensors are randomly going off saying my tire pressure is low despite showing normal tire pressure.
6) The lane assist is terrible and needs to be turned off every time you enter the car. It honestly feels like the car is trying to drive you off the road and kill you.

And finally - two days ago I left the car with 70% charge. It's now completely dead, stranding me in Switzerland. I'm told it might be the 12v battery? How is the 12v battery dead 3 months into owning the car?

What are my options here? I feel completely deceived by the dealer and the reviews. Do I just sell the car and cut my losses? Or is this a lemon and I should petition MG for a new car? The car is less reliable than a used car 1/10 its price.
I'm sorry to read about your experience. I hate the car too. It's been back to the dealer 4 times now. I've been given a VW ID3 as a loan car and it's a million times better than the awful MG4

I'm sorry to read about your experience. I hate the car too. It's been back to the dealer 4 times now. I've been given a VW ID3 as a loan car and it's a million times better than the awful MG4

This is the wonderful world of cars!

There is someone on here (I hope they chime in) who got rid of their awful I D 3 for an MG4 and couldn't be happier! 🤣🤣🤣

After test driving the MG4, we went straight to the VW dealer and drove an ID3. It was just awful… plus, the Sales guy was hopeless, we knew more than he did about EVs. 🙄 Went straight back to the MG dealer (Bulldog, in Twyford, Berks - very clued-up people there, sadly now closed down for MG sales) to buy the MG4.

Where did these posters come from all of a sudden?

I drove a a newish toyota hi-ace bus yesterday. I found the speed limiter function next to my right thumb on the steering wheel very intuitive.

Where did these posters come from all of a sudden?

I think it's the same person on an anti-MG warpath.

The usual infiltration by a few trolls on a forum, yawn, all been seen and done before, just ignore them. They're people who can't afford such a vehicle and are jealous, have another brand that's given them problems and throw rocks at others in jealousy, work for other brands or simply lead miserable lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums