Endless problems with this terrible car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think to be fair some of the criticism is valid. With the MG4 people's experiences have been very different. If you got a good one and didn't need to get the dealer or MG involved you would be thinking what a great car. If you had major problems (and quite a few have) then dealing with MG and the dealers can be very painful.

I'm kind of in the middle. For the most part the car is excellent, but it is let down by poor software and you do get the impression once purchased you are just a thorn in the backside of MG and its dealers if anything is wrong.

Some context required.

They sold 20,000 MG4's in the UK alone last year.

There are a handful of unlucky people on here that seem to have bought a problematic car.

Can you imagine the state of this forum if ALL 20,000 of us had some of the continual issues that are afflicting some folk?

I've had to return my car to the dealer for a sensor failure in the first six months, and it will be going back again for the rear camera to be replaced soon.

I've never had to return a new car for repair in the first six months before, but I have also never bought a brand new car so technologically advanced.

I'm in awe at what my car can do behind the scenes.

Little black boxes hidden away, microchips with computer code whizzing about, circuit boards, micro processors et al. It really is no surprise to me that you get a glitch occasionally.

My personal take with it is that SAIC have used mediatek for the interface which as an owner of a 3 year old mediatek tablet can attest, was slow and clunky when new.

But it only cost £69!

To be expected really.

Oh and I'm not bashing MG, my Audi Etron which was £62k when new, had an equally clunky interface, glitchy software and had warranty work for a broken climate control carried out in my ownership.

I think to be fair some of the criticism is valid. With the MG4 people's experiences have been very different. If you got a good one and didn't need to get the dealer or MG involved you would be thinking what a great car. If you had major problems (and quite a few have) then dealing with MG and the dealers can be very painful.

I'm kind of in the middle. For the most part the car is excellent, but it is let down by poor software and you do get the impression once purchased you are just a thorn in the backside of MG and its dealers if anything is wrong.
There’s definitely valid criticism.

My experience over many years using various forums. You get people that come on, post once absolutely bashing their car, tv etc & then they disappear.

Often they are these trolls that do it for the sake of it but I guess others are seriously unhappy & post to vent their frustrations but it does get tricky picking out who’s genuine & who’s not.

My car has been with MG for about a week now, probably another week at least ( needs new door mirror/unit, LED indicator, 12v battery + they are looking into the cause of a minor vibration around dashboard area & drivers seat started to make a real annoying creaky type noise ) & I am a little disheartened. I totally get things happen with anything new but I was hoping not to have all these issues in a car that’s done around 1300 miles.

MG & the folks there have been brilliant up to yet, took it down & within the hour I was told they would be keeping it in & they gave me a courtesy car which I still have now

I think one big issue with MG is how long people have to wait for the parts to come in. I’d of thought with how popular MG4 are the more common parts would have been kept in stock?

I really like the car, like its looks, nice to drive so I’ll see how things are when I get it back but IF I get more issues & possibly more waiting I will walk away from it & cut my losses but I’m trying to remain a little positive & hoping it’s just some teething issues.

There’s definitely valid criticism.

I’m trying to remain a little positive & hoping it’s just some teething issues.

Agreed m8.

To be fair, the reimagined MG brand has been back a very short time with the new MG4 and that was only developed in 2022. (@siteguru?)

All the legacy car makers have been at it decades and still run into quality and software issues.

The speed of development and what China has achieved in the last 10/12 years is truly mind bogling.

Top Gear Series 18, Episode 2 if you are in any doubt. 🤣

Bodes well for the future.

Agreed m8.

To be fair, the reimagined MG brand has been back a very short time with the new MG4 and that was only developed in 2022. (@siteguru?)

All the legacy car makers have been at it decades and still run into quality and software issues.

The speed of development and what China has achieved in the last 10/12 years is truly mind bogling.

Top Gear Series 18, Episode 2 if you are in any doubt. 🤣

Bodes well for the future.
I agree buddy & like you touched on in a previous post, I don’t believe for a minute my issues are common, the forum would be flooded with similar posts.

I’m just hoping I haven’t purchased a lemon ( & this isn’t just an MG issue ) or what my dad use to call .. “A Friday Car” … workers on production line, Friday afternoon, they all itching to get home for the weekend & things get rushed.

I loved the things my dad came out with 😂

As I said, I’ve had new things in life ( not just cars ) & had issues, it just makes you a bit downbeat & you start to question your decision.

But I’m not giving up just yet. MG have been brilliant ( they can’t help having to wait for the parts ) I’ve got a nice courtesy car & fingers crossed this will be the last of any issues fingers crossed 🤞

& I remember that Top Gear ( I think ) one where he compared the car he tested to the funny bikes a lot used only a few years before?

& I do believe MG will only go from strength to strength 👍

There are many valid criticisms but we do have to remember - the MG4 is cheap compared to other electric cars. The Trophy is £32,500, the VW ID is £36,560 for a, roughly, comparable car. The Honda equivalent e:Ny1 is at least £40,000.
It was also my experience at the local Honda dealer when looking to replace our Jazz that drove me to MG!

And in fact my feeling is that it's the Trophy owners who've had the most to complain about, probably because they have a lot more features that can go wrong. If you get a good SE, you're probably sitting pretty.
If you get a good Trophy, you're also sitting pretty (and can be sitting warm too, if you want to!). We've had ours for 16 months and, other than its first service, it's only been back to the dealer for the mandatory lock in recall and also the replacement oil breather that a number of early cars needed. It's not perfect software wise, but nothing that bothers me once I've turned off LKA.

That's good to hear!

Actually I keep thinking how much I love the heating in the SE, and that I don't miss my heated seats at all. I'm not obsessing about range, and my electricity is a lot cheaper than petrol (which I see is over £1.50 a litre again today), and I really like the way the cabin heats so quickly and the environment is warm rather than just my bum being toasted.

And in fact my feeling is that it's the Trophy owners who've had the most to complain about, probably because they have a lot more features that can go wrong. If you get a good SE, you're probably sitting pretty.
The simpler they are, the better. SWMBO's first gen MG5 being a good example.
No camera or radar on the front means no Adaptive cruise control, no emergency brake assist, no LKA, none of the many safety features on the later ones.
Being the exclusive, it has basic cruise control, reversing camera auto climate control but much more efficient than the 4.
What I like is, I can get in, press the brake pedal, press the start button, select D and drive off without waiting for it to boot up.

I'm sorry to read about your experience. I hate the car too. It's been back to the dealer 4 times now. I've been given a VW ID3 as a loan car and it's a million times better than the awful MG4
Had ID.3 for 3 years. Software just as laggy, space virtually the same. ID.3 better rear visibility. MG4 (XPOWER tbf) does a fair amount more when you put your foot down (70mph max people before mods get me). ID.3 QC seems to have been more comprehensive/ not cutting quite as many corners re budget. XP cheaper monthly sal sac than it was to renew ID.3= no- brainer.

Horses for courses and all but I know which one I have more fun in. ID.3 can't say fart jokes that my 6 and 8 year old like to put into the MG4 to wind up my mother- in- law. 2 year old in the back middle seat likes warp drive too (adhering to all road signs, conditions and laws as above)

Swearing I Swear GIF by The Internet

That's good to hear!

Actually I keep thinking how much I love the heating in the SE, and that I don't miss my heated seats at all. I'm not obsessing about range, and my electricity is a lot cheaper than petrol (which I see is over £1.50 a litre again today), and I really like the way the cabin heats so quickly and the environment is warm rather than just my bum being toasted.
I love the heating in mine too. It seems more 'even' somehow than other cars we've had. However, the heated seats are useful for us as my wife often wants things warmer than I do, so she can turn hers on without whacking the heating up to where I find it uncomfortable and we're both happy!

Unfortunately cars will continue to get more complicated as new systems become required to get the high safety ratings:

So if it was launched now, the SE might well have extra systems on it.

There is some good news though:

This thread is exactly what the trolls want, to light up a negative discussion, stand back and let it light up. Best to stop adding comments on here or have the thread removed/locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums