Ev charging

ms6189

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Help guys!

I am thinking of getting a home ev charger but i have off road parking and i don’t have a garage and live in terrace house.

Does anybody know the procedure to installing or have a similar setting with a ev charger? If so how was the installation carried out?

Thanks

I don't have the same environment as you, however the installation will involve a cable run from the location of your wall box to your meter box. Inside your meter box there needs to be space for a breaker box for the charger, however that could be placed outside of that box if suitable.
You will also need to 100 amp fuse into your home. You should be able to check this in your meter box, the incoming line will have black fuse on it with a reading in 'A'
If you need to upgrade to 100 amp fuse, contact your elec supplier.

Help guys!

I am thinking of getting a home ev charger but i have off road parking and i don’t have a garage and live in terrace house.

Does anybody know the procedure to installing or have a similar setting with a ev charger? If so how was the installation carried out?

Thanks
Given your location, get in touch with McNally EV - EV Home Charger - Charge Your Car at Home | McNally EV - they're probably the best placed to give you an idea of cost and take you through all that's involved.

There is a list of approved installers here Find an electric vehicle (EV) chargepoint installer. I would get several quotes.
I've had an Hypervolt EV charger fitted and the installer was impressed. However it doesn't link with Octopus Energy for intelligent charging.
The installation involved the fitting of an extra 'fuse box' with an RCD and surge protector. This is linked in with a splitter box from the main fuses. You don't necessarily need a 100A supply as most EV chargers can monitor the current using a clamp on the live input cable and restrict charging as appropriate. Check out the Hypervolt installation manual Quick Start Guide and Operation Manual

Last edited:
I am reading it correctly that you have off street parking but no garage?
You should be fine just putting and EVSE on the wall.
Your installer will check your incoming fuse and notify the DNO if it needs upgrading or if you are on a looped supply.

Some forum members might be interested in what a charger installation looks like in practice. The unit is installed in an integral garage to a 1936 house. Incoming fuses to the house are 100A.
IMG_20230702_115732.jpg

The Hypervolt charger is the grey box by the ladder. This is connected to a consumer unit with a main switch, surge protector and circuit breakers (picture) fitted by the electrician. This is connected to a junction box, also fitted by the electrician, which splits the feed from the isolating switch to both consumer units. The clamp monitoring the supply can just be seen on the live cable from the fuses to the meter. The work took about three hours, which included connecting the unit to the network.

IMG_20230702_115903.jpg

There is a list of approved installers here Find an electric vehicle (EV) chargepoint installer. I would get several quotes.
I've had an Hypervolt EV charger fitted and the installer was impressed. However it doesn't link with Octopus Energy for intelligent charging.
The installation involved the fitting of an extra 'fuse box' with an RCD and surge protector. This is linked in with a splitter box from the main fuses. You don't necessarily need a 100A supply as most EV chargers can monitor the current using a clamp on the live input cable and restrict charging as appropriate. Check out the Hypervolt installation manual Quick Start Guide and Operation Manual
Look at the Zappie as it does link to Octopus energy in fact Octopus fitted ours.
We replaced a 13 year old Podpoint we bought to charge our Nissan Leaf this is a 3Kw charger.
The Zappie is 7Kw and links to the Solar panels and can be set charge on the cheap rate Octopus Go night time tarrif which is between 00:30 and 04:30 (which is why we upgraded to a 7KW charger). if you move over to Octopus as they have the Electroverse card a great asset when travelling as you get a 5% discount as an Octopus customer on most charging networks (but not Gridserve as yet).
Have you looked at co charger this is a scheme where you can charge at a participating houshold charger or even rent out yours.

Is this affecting anyone else.... this morning I have seen my Hypervolt app present the message "Error establishing connection to Hypervolt server". Anyone else with this issue?

So spent the morning rebooting my network, resetting connection with the car, rebooting the Hypervolt charger, clearing down the app etc etc. Then called Hypervolt and they are looking into the issue. My Hypervolt is LAN connected. The problem in effect renders the Hypervolt charger useless.

So, plugged in my granny charger, ...solar to battery, battery to car. I'll schedule a charge from the car overnight too.

Last edited:
Look at the Zappie as it does link to Octopus energy in fact Octopus fitted ours.
We replaced a 13 year old Podpoint we bought to charge our Nissan Leaf this is a 3Kw charger.
Sadli Zappi does NOT connect to Octopus yet, it is alegedly imminent but still not there at the moment.

The Zappie is 7Kw and links to the Solar panels and can be set charge on the cheap rate Octopus Go night time tarrif which is between 00:30 and 04:30 (which is why we upgraded to a 7KW charger).
Zappi is available as 7kW or 22kW and has as you rightly say all of the normal schedulers built in and works really well with solar PV too.

if you move over to Octopus as they have the Electroverse card a great asset when travelling as you get a 5% discount as an Octopus customer on most charging networks (but not Gridserve as yet).
Aye, Electroverse is a bit limited in places, hopefully it will improve over time.

Sadli Zappi does NOT connect to Octopus yet, it is alegedly imminent but still not there at the moment.

Zappi is available as 7kW or 22kW and has as you rightly say all of the normal schedulers built in and works really well with solar PV too.

Aye, Electroverse is a bit limited in places, hopefully it will improve over time.
Thanks for the heads up on the link to Octopus it was not the main reason I chose it but a nice to have in the future perhaps?

Thanks for the heads up on the link to Octopus it was not the main reason I chose it but a nice to have in the future perhaps?
When they've completed their integration work with Octopus, Zappi will be beyond any shadow of doubt the best wallbox on the market. At the moment youre stuck on GO due to the comms between Octopus and Myenergi, once sorted you can get 7.5p kWh for 6 hours instead of 4 with additional charging times throughout the day as controlled by Octopus on their Intelligent tariff. It's a great tariff from the very best energy supplier in the UK

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom