Everything you need to know about BMS & voltage balancing

I picked up my ZS EV on 21.10.20. I have just done 1000 miles from new. My battery at 85% voltage reads 438. Can you tell me if I have the correct BMS? I know the car was ready for pick up a week before I got it.

On full charge after balance and nothing switched on the new BMS should show 449v.

If you had earlier BMS update it would be 455v. If your range is ok at the moment your car will be given new BMS at next service.

If you have poor range I would contact your dealer and they will confirm if your car needs to come in quickly for the new BMS update released by MG after 16th January 21.

Useful video on BMS here

On full charge after balance and nothing switched on the new BMS should show 449v.

If you had earlier BMS update it would be 455v. If your range is ok at the moment your car will be given new BMS at next service.

If you have poor range I would contact your dealer and they will confirm if your car needs to come in quickly for the new BMS update released by MG after 16th January 21.

Useful video on BMS here

Thanks for the reply. As you can see due to lock down I have done very little mileage. Range seems to be OK, I rapid charge mostly (no home charger) but I have a neighbour willing to let me balance the battery now and then.

Thanks for the reply. As you can see due to lock down I have done very little mileage. Range seems to be OK, I rapid charge mostly (no home charger) but I have a neighbour willing to let me balance the battery now and then.
You have the granny charger that came with the car? Just plug that it and let it fully charge and balance, then check your voltage

I picked up my ZS EV on 21.10.20. I have just done 1000 miles from new. My battery at 85% voltage reads 438. Can you tell me if I have the correct BMS? I know the car was ready for pick up a week before I got it.

Just to add, if your voltage fully charged and balanced is not 455 or 449/450 and going by the date you picked yours up I would guess you may have the buggy BMS.

Need some advice. I have just paid for and picked my car up after 1st years service. I checked my BMS Update version beforehand which was 1125600R15, this would have been from when I first bought the car in March 2020. I just checked what the new version is, in case I got the dodgy one and found its exactly the same??!! I can see the latest one is supposed to be 1230621A01. Has anyone any idea why it wouldn't have been updated? The Dealership is shut till Monday and I can see me having to go back to them, which is a nightmare journey

Need some advice. I have just paid for and picked my car up after 1st years service. I checked my BMS Update version beforehand which was 1125600R15, this would have been from when I first bought the car in March 2020. I just checked what the new version is, in case I got the dodgy one and found its exactly the same??!! I can see the latest one is supposed to be 1230621A01. Has anyone any idea why it wouldn't have been updated? The Dealership is shut till Monday and I can see me having to go back to them, which is a nightmare journey
Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a consistent approach to these things from MG.
I’d imagine if you paid for/had the comfort pack 2 update they’d update it then, I’m assuming you’ve not got that - it’s well worth paying a few quid for the improvements.

Aren’t all cars regardless getting the 449v update ?

Is the very latest BMS update mid 2/2021 version 0210622EU1?

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a consistent approach to these things from MG.
I’d imagine if you paid for/had the comfort pack 2 update they’d update it then, I’m assuming you’ve not got that - it’s well worth paying a few quid for the improvements.
Thanks for the reply. I did actually pay for the comfort pack 2 around July, they didn't do a bms update then

I hope not actually, mine's fine as it is at 455v, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I know what you mean but it is supposed to further protect your battery and maximise its useful life.

I know what you mean but it is supposed to further protect your battery and maximise its useful life.
I agree, but I'm not one for keeping cars a long time, the 5 year old 2016 Prius I just traded for SWMBO's 5 is the longest I've kept the same car for some years. I'll probably change the ZS when a longer range facelift one comes out in the next couple of years.

Is the very latest BMS update mid 2/2021 version 0210622EU1?
Yes.

Why there's a feb version to replace the jan version, we don't know.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom