Farewell MG4 Trophy

The best and most entertaining one for me was in relation to a warped under tray and excessively noisy air con, word for word from the excellent Mr Smart:

"The noise you describe is a characteristic of this model and would have been present during your test drive. It would also be demonstrated in any side by side test offered by your retailer.
MG Motor UK Ltd. are happy that the undertray is fit for purpose and would be visible on any MG4 vehicle on the market. I have already explained that MG Motor UK Ltd. have reviewed this and are happy that there is no detrimental effect on drive and performance.
There is certainly no material defect involved."

Still makes me laugh to this day.:ROFLMAO:

Haha the words of Mr Smart, I believe he was trained by Basil Fawlty.

Haha the words of Mr Smart, I believe he was trained by Basil Fawlty.
Yep, and the other quote regarding a warped under tray which is more funny than watching an episode of Fawlty Towers:

"It is the shape of the car and the location of the fitments that cause a slight gap and give the impression of a bulge. "

Agree, when a customer buys a new car, they are shelling out lots of hard earned money. whether it's £30k or £60k, you'd expect a faultless vehicle that does what it is supposed to do and is in 'as new' condition. The real confidence hit comes when you find that your new car actually comes with little or no support despite, even going against the warranty which came with it. Going 'stack em high and sell and cheap' with no support in itself will eventually be their downfall if they continue that way.
I have never had a faultless car and I never expect to. The more expensive and complicated the thing you buy, the less likely it is to be perfect. More money does not mean fewer faults - anyone who has been involved with aircraft will realise this.

It's only low cost commodities produced by the multi-million that tend to be perfect - when did you last have a faulty tin of beans?

I've found that people who demand perfection don't seem to report a happy ownership experience with their vehicles, whereas those that will happily tolerate some smaller issues, tend to be much more satisfied.

Take the undertray issue as an example, there's still no reports of this causing an actual problem many months later, so I think MG are probably right to declare it not something to worry about. I don't even think about it, not like you can even see it unless you try.

I can't help thinking that expectations of perfection combined with the cheapest EV maker are never going to end well.

I have never had a faultless car and I never expect to. The more expensive and complicated the thing you buy, the less likely it is to be perfect. More money does not mean fewer faults - anyone who has been involved with aircraft will realise this.

It's only low cost commodities produced by the multi-million that tend to be perfect - when did you last have a faulty tin of beans?

I've found that people who demand perfection don't seem to report a happy ownership experience with their vehicles, whereas those that will happily tolerate some smaller issues, tend to be much more satisfied.

Take the undertray issue as an example, there's still no reports of this causing an actual problem many months later, so I think MG are probably right to declare it not something to worry about. I don't even think about it, not like you can even see it unless you try.

I can't help thinking that expectations of perfection combined with the cheapest EV maker are never going to end well.
Incorrect.... one owner reported their under tray being ripped off after going through water. A warped under tray will also add drag causing the aerodynamics of the vehicle to be less efficient. Potentially making the m/KWh less efficient.

If I spend a low amount on a low value and easy to use product, it becomes throw way and manufacturing is never 100% perfect. On a high value item, I expect some testing to be conducted and glaring faults to be rectified before release into production. Again, manufacturing is never 100% perfect, but at that price point, support is expected.

Incorrect.... one owner reported their under tray being ripped off after going through water.
One isolated incident many many months ago which could easily have been an incorrectly fastened tray / one-off problem. There's no evidence of common problems. Zippo since.
A warped under tray will also add drag causing the aerodynamics of the vehicle to be less efficient. Potentially making the m/KWh less efficient.
A purely theoretical argument that doesn't seem to make any difference in the real world. People report good efficiency numbers. It is a fuss over a slightly warped bit of plastic you don't see.
If I spend a low amount on a low value and easy to use product, it becomes throw way and manufacturing is never 100% perfect. On a high value item, I expect some testing to be conducted and glaring faults to be rectified before release into production. Again, manufacturing is never 100% perfect, but at that price point, support is expected.
Forget the price point, it is irrelevant- it is the relative price point that matters. When you are at the bottom of the market you will get the most basic service.

Again, you bought the cheapest expensive thing, the fact that it is a lot of money doesn't guarantee you anything about the level of service.

You might want it to be great, but usually great service is why people pay for high end expensive makes, which MG are not.

There's a few previous posts referencing kW/hr ... what is this? Is it an incorrect interpretation of mpkWh? (Miles per kWh)

One isolated incident many many months ago which could easily have been an incorrectly fastened tray / one-off problem. There's no evidence of common problems. Zippo since.

A purely theoretical argument that doesn't seem to make any difference in the real world. People report good efficiency numbers. It is a fuss over a slightly warped bit of plastic you don't see.

Forget the price point, it is irrelevant- it is the relative price point that matters. When you are at the bottom of the market you will get the most basic service.

Again, you bought the cheapest expensive thing, the fact that it is a lot of money doesn't guarantee you anything about the level of service.

You might want it to be great, but usually great service is why people pay for high end expensive makes, which MG are not.
Again incorrect.... I and others do not expect to fork out circa 30k for a faulty product with laughable support... have you taken up a job with Gary S at MG Towers Manuel ?

Again incorrect.... I and others do not expect to fork out circa 30k for a faulty product with laughable support... have you taken up a job with Gary S at MG Towers Manuel ?
Incorrect on what basis? Or are you not going to even bother to mount an argument? Ah... so you immediately reach for a slur - that I am in the pay of MG. I guess no argument will be forthcoming then.

Just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean that they are in bed with satan. You might want to reflect on that.

Incorrect on what basis? Or are you not going to even bother to mount an argument? Ah... so you immediately reach for a slur - that I am in the pay of MG. I guess no argument will be forthcoming then.

Just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean that they are in bed with satan. You might want to reflect on that.
Lol, It appears that you are the one looking to mount the argument here. I am highlighting my expectations and my experience.
The slur as you put it, was a humorous comment, sorry you see it that way. Most on here have similar views to mine, I certainly do not put up with faults on high value items lightly and certainly do not appreciate being fobbed off as support.

I am highlighting my expectations and my experience.
And I am just doing the same.
The slur as you put it, was a humorous comment, sorry you see it that way.
Ok, I accept that and withdraw my comment.
Most on here have similar views to mine, I certainly do not put up with faults on high value items lightly and certainly do not appreciate being fobbed off as support.
We don't know what most people's views are as most people don't express them. Totally get that there are a bunch of people who feel the same way you do, that is also true for me.

There's a few previous posts referencing kW/hr ... what is this? Is it an incorrect interpretation of mpkWh? (Miles per kWh)
In the real world, are you respected and does everyone cow-tow to your every whim and sing praise to your self qualified “Guru’ism”? Or do you just exclude everyone and end up alone, sucking your own toes?

I apologise If I have read you wrong, but you’re seem to have a strange ‘God complex’ which you seem to indulge in.

As I write this, I seem to have wondered into being a bit of pain in the arse myself. I apologise for this, but not enough to delete this post. 🍺

Last edited:
I apologise If I have read you wrong, but you’re seem to have a strange ‘God complex’ which you seem to indulge in.
@siteguru can be a bit pedantic, but his heart is in the right place. Many people write confusing things like kW/hr and if nobody ever corrects them, confusion reigns.

I think you have read it wrong.

@siteguru can be a bit pedantic, but his heart is in the right place. Many people write confusing things like kW/hr and if nobody ever corrects them, confusion reigns.

With respect, I have not read it wrong. Guru has been hell bent on correcting people since he/ it/ them/ her, first started posting.

Normal people do not feel the need to pick fault with such information posted by random members, at any given opportunity. Guru knows what it’s doing.

I normally value your opinion Tsedge, but I respectfully disagree with you on this subject.

Or a different take! he's a grump old so and so that since retiring, he has too much time on his hands therefore notices loads of faults on the forum and being the self appointed site janitorial staff chastises everyone for being messy 😉

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back