First service - experience of charges out there

Just booked my SE SR in for its first service (have the service plan) and they asked if I'd like the engine oil flush at £35 so the emissions would not get worse....🤣🤣🤣

Surely they should be aware of the 4's self flushing / oil ejecting feature ? Modern tech is amazing.

Service Service Date Approx. Mileage Total*

So that’s over £800 to service an EV for 5 years?
That’s outrageous. 😡
My car would need two services in the same timeframe (every two years or 30000)
Haven’t checked the cost, but it sure as hell won’t be £400 a time!
Tesla owners will be laughing at us both too.
Lower quality cars require more frequency services. Pay more service less.. basic economics really.

Lower quality cars require more frequency services. Pay more service less.. basic economics really.
No they don't. It's just that most brands rely on an established dealer network, and those dealers make most of their profit from servicing so the brands have to kowtow to dealer demands. Even BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc. still have expensive service regimes for their EVs. Tesla is more of a special case which is trying to shake the paradigm.

Last edited:
Just to come back on track ;-)

Here's my local research of service costs and I think I know which dealer I'm going to use.

Months / MilesHendy - ExeterBlights - Bideford
12/15K£112 *£88
24/30K£187£185
36/45K£112 *£88
48/60K?£216
60/75K?£238

I'm happy to use the Main Stealer to maintain the service record, it's on-line there's no book - don't know yet if it's also maintained in the car yet like BMW/Mini, I suspect not. For me the provenance given at sale time is essential.

Again use of the main agent gives me / maintains AA cover, by any measurement this is worth minimum £75 p.a. so I'm viewing the first service as a minor inconvenience that's costing me £20 or less. To give this context, our RAC cover went over £300 this year for two people any car, UK rescue, recovery, at home etc. I've ditched that membership after 30+ years as the MG4 has AA cover and our second car now has RAC with it's new insurer, for £75.

Oh, the * for Hendy's first and third svc, if I'd reached 12 months and less than 15K miles I'd have been considered low mileage and the first svc would have been £88, but as I will have managed 15K in 10 months I'm considered 'High Mileage' and so the first svc will be £112.

As I say, whilst Hendy have tried well to do a good job, I think it's time to give the other local (very ish) dealer a go. Will be interesting to see what they're like, moving from tier two dealerships, Toyota and Mini is my experience, to tier 3 is taking some getting use to.

Anyone else have any £ numbers for that first service?

My 5yr plan on a Trophy was quoted as
£97.73/£179.08/£97.73/£203.72/£250.42

So about the same over the duration, and again, if taking the +12 months AA Cover at each service, it does not seem too bad.

Last edited:
My first 2 services were included in the package when I got the car! I thought this was standard 🤔
No - Likely to be a dealer offer from who you first bought the car from.
MG service costs can be covered on a prearranged / paid service plan, or on a “Pay on the day” type of method of payment.

Just had email from dealer for service due September. Have replied asking for cost so will report back. Ive also asked re courtesy car which ive never done before but mg garage too far fromme now longbridge gone. Ive asked if i can specify ev only. Lets see. I dont care if that sounds pretentious 😄. Promised myself id never go back to petrol even for a day!

Summit Garage near Dudley, £110 for the first service at 12 months, 9,000 miles. They pick the car up from home and drop it back and will do any software upgrades it requires. Seems ok as it gives another year of AA cover.

No they don't. It's just that most brands rely on an established dealer network, and those dealers make most of their profit from servicing so the brands have to kowtow to dealer demands. Even BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc. still have expensive service regimes for their EVs. Tesla is more of a special case which is trying to shake the paradigm.
Wasn't "Shake the paradigm" an album by Bauhaus?

The first service on my Trophy is booked in for the middle of September with Drive Bristol North, quoted price is £79.20. They do charge £9.95 for the courtesy car but thought that was a pretty decent price.

Have been Quoted £135.60, the 60p presumably to make it look thought out! £15 extra for a courtesy car but would have to be petrol.
Seems most people have been quoted less so may have to shop around. Surely a fixed price across mg dealers would make sense.
Gonna have a think as wherever i book involves a bit of hassle.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back