First service - experience of charges out there

MG offer two different rates, depending on your user case.
Low mileage users receive a reduced price, worth enquiring at the dealership.
From memory, it's cars that cover LESS than 7,000 miles per year, but again worth checking.

From memory, it's cars that cover LESS than 7,000 miles per year, but again worth checking.
My dealer told me that higher mileage drivers like myself don't have the first service until 15000+ miles, low mileage 10000 or 12mths in each case 🤔 I'd guess the rate will vary depending on where the garage is and how much they have to pay their techs.

MG have officially stopped doing the low mileage services now, although some dealers are still doing their own.

When I had my first service at Blights MG Bideford N Devon last month, the final charge was £83.99. That was at 15,000 miles went there as Exeter MG wanted to charge the 'higher mileage rate', Blights was just one rate.

Glad I wasn't paying by the hour as it was updating software for four hours! Different car after, not better or worse, just different (probably better except I now have to turn LKA off now every start).

May have missed it on previous posts, but when you get your first service on the MG4 is it all recorded online digitally, as I don’t recall getting an actual service book when I bought the car.
I do prefer the service book with a stamp and date, but if it is digital I will ask them for a print out for my records.

May have missed it on previous posts, but when you get your first service on the MG4 is it all recorded online digitally, as I don’t recall getting an actual service book when I bought the car.
I do prefer the service book with a stamp and date, but if it is digital I will ask them for a print out for my records.
Did edzackery that, asked for a printout - in fact they offered. They also asked would I like the AA cover extended!! of course! So two things to watch out for and make sure they are done. Also depending on the dealership, you could be waiting for a number of hours for SW updates, they won't be able to tell you how long.

Previous car was a Mini, that was all online but the car had an electronically displayable prese as well. Fairly certain there is nothing like that in the 4.

Many manufacturers have pretty much stopped providing paper service record books now.
The service record is stored at the dealership, although not all dealerships are linked and the records can be a little misleading.
BWM have future service requirements available to view in the menu or via a App.
Requesting a paper copy of the service work carried out is always a good idea.
MG will hold a record of any warranty work that has been performed of course.

Can anyone who's had their first service completed check in the iSmart app please under Manuals? Does the service item show anything completed, or is it still just a default document?

Can anyone who's had their first service completed check in the iSmart app please under Manuals? Does the service item show anything completed, or is it still just a default document?
I have checked in the App and there is the facility to down load the service schedule, but there is no details populated as evidence that my first service was completed almost 9 months ago.
Which comes as no shock really.

IMG_1774.jpg
IMG_1775.jpg

Thanks for the info. I have just check my app and I dont have the service_portfolio tab. I am using an iPhone with the latest version for the app 1.1.5

I have checked in the App and there is the facility to down load the service schedule, but there is no details populated as evidence that my first service was completed almost 9 months ago.
Which comes as no shock really.

View attachment 21455View attachment 21456
I don't have the Service portfolio link in my app. Just the owner and navi manual links.

Edit: I've just seen Swampy's post. I'm on android version 1.1.14

I don't have the Service portfolio link in my app. Just the owner and navi manual links.

Edit: I've just seen Swampy's post. I'm on android version 1.1.14
I've just checked (Android v1.1.14) and my service portfolio has also disappeared. (It used to be there).

I am using IOS ( Apple ) with software version 1.1.4. ( see photo ) and I was one of the people not to affected by the update that replace MILES in the range read out ?.
But, I have received a reminder in the App Store that an update is available to down load.
I have not bothered down loading it TBH.

IMG_1777.jpg

Android 1.1.14, no manuals section, no svc portfolio. Nothing

Getting increasingly annoyed with MG Nottingham reading this thread - just had my first service and they charged me £162, and wanted to replace both rear tyres at 50% tread, so gave me a really hard sell.

Getting increasingly annoyed with MG Nottingham reading this thread - just had my first service and they charged me £162, and wanted to replace both rear tyres at 50% tread, so gave me a really hard sell.
Two things made we think of my rear tyres, one was the message from @meveringham about his Main Stealers desire to replace his rear tyres at first service, the other was watching this complete fool with his anti EV rant The CRIPPLING HIDDEN COST of ELECTRIC CARS that NO ONE is EVen TELLING YOU about! suggesting we'll all pay a fortune for our rubber - because we drive electric.

So I've just checked our rears at 19,000 miles, if I'm pessimistic then they are down to 5.5mm so 40-50% used, I don't know what the MG price would be but a quick look at Black Circles has major brands at £110 - £167 each and budgets £70 - £85.

So I'm happy I should see 35K out of the rears and I'd never expect the driven wheels of any car to achieve more and when I do replace them the price will be in line with our second car, a humble (but heavier than our MG4) diesel.

But back to @meveringham 's point, we do need to shop arround for our services, the MG Stealer network does seem very variable in what they charge.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back