First service - experience of charges out there

Just looked at the online service plan - 1st year service quoted at £97 something or other, with a whole £1 of that for parts. Ridiculous really. Just shows there is almost no reason for that service at all.
I think the parts bit is just a screenwash tablet.

I think the parts bit is just a screenwash tablet.
Bonkers. Confirms my thoughts entirely. I’ll tell them to shove their tablet as I prefer to use my own!

So basically £95 for a junior mechanic to hook it up to the computer and see what it tells them, then apply any necessary updates and do very little else…

Strange - when I bought my car I took out the AC service plan (3 years plus first MOT) for £399 all in.

FYI ... MG have just updated their diagnostic systems for 2024, and switched off the 2023 interface. Unfortunately the 2024 software isn't working properly so cars can't be scanned, and they can't revert to the 2023 software because it has nothing to connect to. 🤦‍♂️
You couldn't make it up 😞

Bonkers. Confirms my thoughts entirely. I’ll tell them to shove their tablet as I prefer to use my own!

So basically £95 for a junior mechanic to hook it up to the computer and see what it tells them, then apply any necessary updates and do very little else…
Another way to look at it is you are getting a years full AA cover for £95 with a free service and depending on how many software updates are needed it could take a couple of hours.

They also do filter changes and an inspection of the car - various checks on tyres, brakes, suspension and the body to maintain the corrosion part of the warranty.

Now people may feel that doing an inspection, topping up fluids, changing filters and upgrading software are superfluous or something they could do themselves, fair enough. They may also have breakdown cover from elsewhere already. I understand that could be frustrating.

I for one am happy enough to pay for it and save me the trouble.

Another way to look at it is you are getting a years full AA cover for £95 with a free service and depending on how many software updates are needed it could take a couple of hours.
Even the cheapest AA cover is £90/year, so you're getting all the rest for just a fiver.
If your dealer is charging less than that, you're quids in!

Pro tip - When dropping the car off, tell the service people to check the car for updates, as well as their central Chinese database, as the two may be "out of sync".

The database said mine was fully up to date, but the car actually needed 3 updates.
  • Central locking (not the original "locked in" fix, a more general one)
  • BCM
  • Battery module
Don't notice any difference on the infotainment screen, but LKA seems a bit calmer now.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back