Forward camera not working

I have an update to share with you. MG have finally diagnosed the problem as a faulty camera and they have duly placed an order for a new one from China. So it will be some weeks before they take delivery of it and fit it, but it should be an end to the issue, finally!

In their attempts to fix the issue they updated various modules and the latest infortainment update (R33 version 2) has vastly improved sat nav freezes, radio reception stopping, blank energy graph plot, Amazon prime music stopping. I have had no reason to reset the system once since the latest firmware was applied. The ONLY negative is that the initial bootup when you first activate the car takes considerably longer, but if waiting 30 seconds while it boots up is the price for having it working nicely, then i can cope with that.

When the new camera is fitted, i will have to find something else to complain about (like the economy or the youth of today🤣🤣)

Cheers for now
Was the issue fixed for you, I am stuck in a similar situation where after my windscreen replacement its failing on camera recalibration. My dealership has tried various methods including various module software upgrade, recalibration of front radar and replacing the front camera unit but issue still persist.

It does seem like they are trying their best, but it seems that they are constrained by head office because they have to ask permission to do anything, after having first taken photographs of everything.
Wait.... is that true for all franchised dealers? if so how come some dealers have to seek MG HO authorisation to carry out work such as replace an under tray, then get knocked back by MG HO, but some can replace the under tray.
Also, I am being told to 'try another dealer' as my first suffered the HO knock back (warrant evasion in my view) when trying to get mine replaced. If they all have to seek HO permission for anything, what's the point. I have booked mine in with a dealer 60 miles away now, but don't want to waste my time again if this is true across all dealers.

Was the issue fixed for you, I am stuck in a similar situation where after my windscreen replacement its failing on camera recalibration. My dealership has tried various methods including various module software upgrade, recalibration of front radar and replacing the front camera unit but issue still persist.
Yes the issue was resolved after a new camera was fitted. The engineer had to take the car out to calibrate the camera and it took about 10 minutes to do. It took two previous visits to establish exactly what was wrong, with lots of attempts to update software and some head scratching. Whatever is wrong is not a common fault. I hope that it is resolved soon.

Hi Mohsan,
I'm in exactly the same situation following windscreen replacement, after 5 visits to main dealer since 28th June. The same sequence of events leading to camera replacement today with no success.
Now booked in for 4th-5th September.
Have you had a solution yet, if so what and who is your main dealer.

Hi Mohsan,
I'm in exactly the same situation following windscreen replacement, after 5 visits to main dealer since 28th June. The same sequence of events leading to camera replacement today with no success.
Now booked in for 4th-5th September.
Have you had a solution yet, if so what and who is your main dealer.
Hi,

Mine was finally a success last Monday. My dealership EMG Ipswich. Even my dealership don't know why the front camera decided to recalibrate with any issue. They still don't know the root cause of the issue. Few things I have observed that might be of help

1) open up the plastic head above the back mirror to make sure that camera control unit is secure in place and none of the hinges are broken. My dealership wasted a lot of time trying to recalibrate to find out the person who fitted the new glass had broken one of the hing holding the control unit.
2) Make use they replace the camera and control until not just the control unit.
3) To be on safe side make sure nothing is plugged into any of your car usb ports. While it should not matter technically but weird things can happen without logical explanation some times.
4) Make sure they try to recalibrate on some sort of sunny day, cloudy dark days can cause recalibration issue.
5) Last thing what I did before my recalibration went through was to make sure the glass area of camera was spot less clean. That helps.

Hopefully this will resolve your recalibration issue.

Regards
Mohsan

Technical advice please.

Camera Calibration Following Windscreen Replacement.

My MG 4 Trophy has had 4 visits to MG Main Dealer to Calibrate the Camera at top
of front Windscreen, it would appear the calibration fails and never reaches 100%.

I believe the MG 4 uses Dynamic Calibration which should simply involves starting
the calibration process and driving the car for about 10 minutes.

After reading and watching videos on this subject I believe this process is simply to
Determine the active area of road between lane lines ahead of our vehicle.

This is done by driving at a speed between 30-50 MPH on a reasonably clear road
with good road markings (White Lines Both Sides) for about 10 minutes ( 5 miles).
Knowing the roads around my dealers I don’t think this will be easy.

Can anyone confirm my theory ???

Technical advice please.

Camera Calibration Following Windscreen Replacement.

My MG 4 Trophy has had 4 visits to MG Main Dealer to Calibrate the Camera at top
of front Windscreen, it would appear the calibration fails and never reaches 100%.

I believe the MG 4 uses Dynamic Calibration which should simply involves starting
the calibration process and driving the car for about 10 minutes.

After reading and watching videos on this subject I believe this process is simply to
Determine the active area of road between lane lines ahead of our vehicle.

This is done by driving at a speed between 30-50 MPH on a reasonably clear road
with good road markings (White Lines Both Sides) for about 10 minutes ( 5 miles).
Knowing the roads around my dealers I don’t think this will be easy.

Can anyone confirm my theory ???
What you described is I believe the process but its not only the white lines, it's detection of objects at the front and sides as well. Basically anything with in the camera view angle. I have heard that it helps to recalibrate on bright day rather then dark days so marking being visible are important. But when they take it out for drive they normally go around fair distance so a bad patch of road should not be an issue.

Regards
Mohsan

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums