Frozen door to electric charge socket

Norhund

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
The door to charge my car has frozen. It started last week and I was unable to close it after an overnight charge. Now the door has frozen closed. The temperature here has only been just below freezing, but here in the south of Norway it can drop below -30C even more, though usually between 0 and -20 in the winter. I do like the car, but I am starting to regret buying it now.

The door to charge my car has frozen. It started last week and I was unable to close it after an overnight charge. Now the door has frozen closed. The temperature here has only been just below freezing, but here in the south of Norway it can drop below -30C even more, though usually between 0 and -20 in the winter. I do like the car, but I am starting to regret buying it now.
I believe there is a fairly easy fix for this: Use a heavy coat of silicon all over the charge door and all components inside - this will keep water from accumulating, and even if ice forms, from adhering to the plastic. Try it and happy motoring....... ;-)

Hi I tried to defrost the flap door using a hairdryer but no luck. I am starting to think the door is just stuck. Anybody know if there is a manual way of releasing it just to test it. It has been below freezing here for most of the last couple of weeks. Very frustrating! Thanks!

Hi I tried to defrost the flap door using a hairdryer but no luck. I am starting to think the door is just stuck. Anybody know if there is a manual way of releasing it just to test it. It has been below freezing here for most of the last couple of weeks. Very frustrating! Thanks!
Hi Norhund, I have not personally used it, but there is an access panel on the inside just behind where the plug is on the outside, and there is a manual release in there apparently. Good Luck.

I spray some windscreen de-icer round charging door and door mirrors to help stop freezing in cold weather.

Thanks all for the advice, really appreciate it. Luckily the door was just frozen and not broken which is a big relief. First real snow snow arrived this morning. I have an old garage which is not big enough for the MG. I'll just have to deal with the winter challenges as they arrive.

The flap to the charger on mine is stuck, not frozen. the manual say remove the trim plate to access the emergency release. I cannot see it. Can anyone tell me where it is located and what it looks like.
I see nothing like what it shows in the manual

Attachments

• E3F2B936-BBAA-4EF5-982F-B88E715F9BF3.jpeg
    E3F2B936-BBAA-4EF5-982F-B88E715F9BF3.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 204
Thanks to the info given I have opened the trim plate and pulled quite hard on the emergency release, but it still will not unlock. Has anyone had to do this and how hard did it need to be pulled for the charger flap to open.
i did not want to pull it too hard as it seems a bit flimsy.

I had this same problem with the charger cover a couple of weeks ago. It was after a night of severe frost (in Scotland), so I assumed it was frozen. Before looking for that emergency release, I thought I’d just give the flap a gentle pull with my fingertips and, surprise-surprise, it opened. I thought, at the time, that it was the electronic lock that had locked closed and I tried to recycle it a couple of times but the small lock pin remained in the locked position. I did the usual charging, then went back later in the day (less cold?) and closed the flap. It clicked closed, and opened again as normal. I‘ve no idea what caused it but the electronic lock is just that, electronic, not mechanical. Be gentle, and it should open without causing any damage.

Hi
I have tried to prise it open but it seems pretty solidly stuck.
I think I am going to have to call the Mg dealer.

Update on charger flap. The car was at the dealers today and it was a fault with the actuator. It was fixed but i it happens again an new actuator will need to be fitted. However it appears there was a system update to be carried out also. The update could not be done as there was an issue with it failing to load. I have no idea what the system software was supposed to do, it was part of a recall. After spending 51/2 hours at the service centre i was told i would need to come back after the new year to get the update done as they could not contact MG.
Does anyone know what the software update is for the HS PHEV.

I’d be interested to know if there is a serial/issue number to that “new“ software update. I was in for a tow-bar fit early December (also in Scotland) and asked them to check for any updates and they said I was up to date, but how do I know - do they record it on the service book (which we don’t get)?
I’m due to go in in January to get them to check an engine warning light, and I’ll ask them again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom