Getting deposit back

dave99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anybody had difficulty cancelling an order after getting a car from a different dealer? The salesman I spoke to to cancel my order with them sounded very offended I had got an earlier delivery elsewhere and said he'd have to speak to his manager in the new year. He assured me at the time of order the deposit was refundable, otherwise I wouldn't have placed the order. I don't believe the reason for cancelling makes any difference, circumstances change and I no longer have the cash to buy their vehicle.
I'll not name them, unless they decide to renege on their promise :rolleyes:

I cancelled my order and got my money back no issue, personally I probably would have came up with a different reason, they don't need to know you got one elsewhere, and like you say it seems to have wound them up. You need to read the small print on your order form re your deposit.

From what I can tell it depends on each dealership & their contract as they're mainly independent. My local will only refund beforehand if timescale isn't met.

I hope it all works out and the salesman keeps his promises. I suspect he will, not least because of the high demand for these cars.

It's a reminder for all of us to get the dealer to put in writing all the key promises made! I noticed mine hadn't included the 'no questions asked' cancellation reason on the order form so I got him to add it before signing.

I know that it’s possibly a little late, but I would urge anyone placing a deposit to get in writing that it is unconditionally refundable. Also use a credit card if you can for added protection.

I know that it’s possibly a little late, but I would urge anyone placing a deposit to get in writing that it is unconditionally refundable. Also use a credit card if you can for added protection.
It was on a credit card, I'm a bit uncertain as to whether that helps as the full purchase cost would have been over 30k. I am hopeful they will sort out out though, especially as they will now be able to sell it at the higher price if they so wish

It was on a credit card, I'm a bit uncertain as to whether that helps as the full purchase cost would have been over 30k. I am hopeful they will sort out out though, especially as they will now be able to sell it at the higher price if they so wish
If you’re struggling and they refuse I recommend that you get professional advice. I do think that them keeping your deposit is unlikely though.
My amateur forum advice is that even with for example paying a £250 deposit on a £32k car you get credit card protection. You also have additional rights if it was what is called a ‘distance sale’ whereby you placed the the deposit without a visit.
I would say that you have a very good chance of getting your deposit back. It is wise to get written confirmation of any conditions when placing your deposit, however the dealer must also let you have the clear terms and conditions of the deposit - so if you didn’t get that it must be refunded anyway.
As I said, I must stress I’m no expert or adviser.
good luck.

I placed an order for a ZS back in May and paid £500 as a deposit. I subsequently changed my order to a MG4 in August due to absolutely no word about the ZS deliveries. After waiting until November with no word of the MG4 and a vague "end of February" delivery date, I cancelled my order with the original dealer and bought one to the same spec from another dealer.
I did get my original £500 deposit returned eventually but only after a month had passed with numerous phone calls and emails on my part.

No problems here, put in an order with both my local dealer & luscombe, the car came 1st via local dealer, so cancelled with luscombe, at the end of sept, and they sent back my deposit next day.

I had a similar problem. In the end Igot my deposit back from the credit card company, who then chased the dealership and who after a couple of months paid up.

It seems odd to me that dealerships behave differently when it comes to the contractual terms of a sale. I would have thought that 'MG' as a company would have a policy to standardise the terms of a customer contract ?

Has anybody had difficulty cancelling an order after getting a car from a different dealer? The salesman I spoke to to cancel my order with them sounded very offended I had got an earlier delivery elsewhere and said he'd have to speak to his manager in the new year. He assured me at the time of order the deposit was refundable, otherwise I wouldn't have placed the order. I don't believe the reason for cancelling makes any difference, circumstances change and I no longer have the cash to buy their vehicle.
If your T&Cs are the same as mine, on the T&C notes it'll say something along the lines of:

~if the vehicle hasn't arrived within 21 days of the estimated delivery date, then you are entitled to issue a formal written notice for them to provide the car within 14 days. If the 14 days passes without delivery, you are entitled to a full refund.

How did you get on?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums