Off topic - I had a new MK2 8v GTI and it was the most disappointing car I've ever had! Snooty dealer once I'd bought it, loads of niggles (6 issues within the first month) including poor paint and I vowed I would never touch another VW again. MG dealer is far better so far šŸ˜Ž.
Every manufacturer produces ā€œFriday Afternoon Shiftā€ cars šŸ¤£.
I had the privilege of working a secondment to a car production plant for 12 months.
Had the opportunity to work on a number of different departments.
Eye opener !!!!.

Already test drove one sorry not a fan.
What didnt you like? Easier to get in to for disabled, bigger boot (for mobility scooter?), proper dashboard.,smoother and quieter and controls far simpler. Ive got one and love it. To be honest had a loan MG4 while my ZS was in for service and really dissappointed.

Exactly - the MG4 isn't :)
FWD is acknowledged as better and safer in 90% of circumstances. Very few manufacturers go with rwd. RWD only has advantage if power too much for fwd, or badly designed. That is probaby over 300 bhp (see most hot hatches) when 4wd is beyter any way. I have no torque steer or grip problems with ZS as i know how to drive fwd. Even USA is realising fwd is better and they dont even know how to make cars that handle. In the past 3 years I've had fwd, 4wd, and rwd. Fwd and 4wd both 200bhp had no problems. Only one that had grip issues was a 330bhp rwd BMW which needed care when pulling out of a junction and hopeless in snow and ice.

Last edited:
RWD only has advantage if power too much for fwd

I had an MG ZS EV as a loaner When my MG4 was off the road. Iā€˜ll take the RWD any day of the week. This MG ZS EV reviewer sums it up for me: ā€œInitial acceleration and the high torque output of the electric motor also makes for a slightly disjointed steering sensation; there is a feeling of separation between the steering wheel and what the car is doingā€

I had an MG ZS EV as a loaner When my MG4 was off the road. Iā€˜ll take the RWD any day of the week. This MG ZS EV reviewer sums it up for me: ā€œInitial acceleration and the high torque output of the electric motor also makes for a slightly disjointed steering sensation; there is a feeling of separation between the steering wheel and what the car is doingā€
person
Typical reviewer quote. Simply not true in real life and I've owned and ridden driven loads of "performance cars" and find the MG every bit as good to drive as any. They rag a car in a way no normal driver would so they can nitpick, especially if its not a "trendy" model, and people believe it.

FWD is acknowledged as better and safer in 90% of circumstances. Very few manufacturers go with rwd. RWD only has advantage if power too much for fwd, or badly designed. That is probaby over 300 bhp (see most hot hatches) when 4wd is beyter any way. I have no torque steer or grip problems with ZS as i know how to drive fwd. Even USA is realising fwd is better and they dont even know how to make cars that handle. In the past 3 years I've had fwd, 4wd, and rwd. Fwd and 4wd both 200bhp had no problems. Only one that had grip issues was a 330bhp rwd BMW which needed care when pulling out of a junction and hopeless in snow and ice.
RWD generally drives better than FWD because the wheels doing the steering are not also trying to put the power down. This is well known and the main reason (along with 50:50 weight distribution) that the MG4 is such a great drive, along with the great balance between handling and comfort.

RWD generally drives better than FWD because the wheels doing the steering are not also trying to put the power down. This is well known and the main reason (along with 50:50 weight distribution) that the MG4 is such a great drive, along with the great balance between handling and comfort.
Nonsense! Why is it that ALL the fast and powerful hot hatches are front wheel drive. You telling me that an MG4 is better handling and a better drive than a Civic Type R? And its because its rear wheel drive? Get a grip!

We disagree

Nope. Weā€™re telling you that it is better handling and a better drive than an MG ZS EV. Not even close.
Having driven both I disagree, and you have your view but its nothing to do with the 4 being rear wheel drive. Good luck finding a rwd SUV suitable for your disabled wife. BTW even BMW have gone to fwd on the new 1 series which is acknowledged to be a fine handling car.

Last edited:
What? Not a rwd! Must be terrible to drive with the front wheels being driven! What SUV is that?

All four wheels are driven thus not suffering from the wheel spin and torque steer of, for example, the FWD MG ZS EV, we prefer AWD for the SUV. TBH, I never feel an SUV is a proper SUV with just FWD šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Nonsense! Why is it that ALL the fast and powerful hot hatches are front wheel drive. You telling me that an MG4 is better handling and a better drive than a Civic Type R? And its because its rear wheel drive? Get a grip!
Hatchbacks went front wheel drive because it enabled manufacturers to fit compact transverse engines and eliminate the cost and weight of a propshaft, transmission tunnel and rear differential. This was driven by cost savings and interior space considerations.

Then these hatchbacks were then warmed up with bigger brakes, better shocks and more engine power. The result is still very much a compromise. The MG4 XPower will not only compete with the Civic Type R, it will crush it - except for weight and probably top speed.

Performance cars have for a long time been designed from the ground up as rear wheel drive (or some cases four wheel drive). EVs enable a return to RWD or 4WD without needing propshafts or differentials and so are far more flexible.

This is why you will increasingly see RWD and 4WD EV offerings.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back