Heater thoughts

PedroPhev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My first winter with the PHEV and I thought I was going to be warm but stuck in hybrid mode most of the time, or no heating and wearing arctic clothing to allow EV mode to select. The reality has been much better, sure you need heating primarily to keep the windows clear. But the engine gets up to temperature reasonably quickly, the windows clear and cabin temperature warms, then EV mode can be selected. The heater continues to provide warm air for ages in EV mode even on the coldest days before the engine restarts overriding EV mode, what witchcraft is this? Is there thermal storage capacity beyond the heater matrix? Is there supplementary heating either from electric or harvesting heat from battery heating? For the type journey profile I need, having the cabin heating provided only by the petrol engine is not the compromise I was led to believe.

The heating is by water from engine only keep in auto mode only switch to EV mode after some time but if in traffic the car will work this out for itself.
Select a temperature of 25 or above to keep the car warm and window clear.

You have the full capacity of the cooling system that has been heated by the engine. This might continue to circulate when the engine is off as it is probably used to cool the battery/electric motor as well (Guessing here) But yes you are right the residual heat lasts a lot longer than first expected. I still think its penny-pinching not fitting an electric heater surly there must be cost savings not having to equip the car with a heater matrix pipes and the like. Their full electric vehicles are obviously fitted with one.

I still think its penny-pinching not fitting an electric heater surly there must be cost savings not having to equip the car with a heater matrix pipes and the like. Their full electric vehicles are obviously fitted with one.
Of course. That's why the HS PHEV is so cheap to buy. If it had all the bells and whistles that other electric cars have then it would cost a lot more to buy one than it currently does.

No complaints about the heating with my PHEV, the front and rear glass has electric heating!

No heated windscreen on my 72 plate hs phev. Only a button that directs the air con to the windscreen.

I think the heater on/off is regulated by the internal temp of the car. When I first got mine default was 23 degrees and the EV kept switching to auto mode as the engine needed to start to heat the inside of the car. I started playing around with passenger and driver temps as I wanted to be in EV mode all the time around town. I settled on 19deg for both which keeps the car in EV mode all the time no matter what the outside temp is. As said above if MG had fitted an electric heater there wouldnt be any problems.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom