Help please: scheduled charging with Zappi

I know. That price too seemed more than what I'm comfortable with. As it stands I'm not even sure if my system is enough to power ev, I have a 1.4kw system. Wonder if to add mor panels to get enough to charge ev and if any goes to grid I can just collect payments through the Smart Export Guarantee. Don't have a clue how much they'll pay per kwh but doubt it'll be nything fantastic or near what they will they will usually charge for same kwh ha
I believe it's best to use/store as much of your PV generation as possible. You don't get a lot per KW from the SEG. I read somewhere recently that when considering Solar, we should get as much generation capability as we can fit/afford. Whatever the estimate on payback is at current prices, it's only going to come towards us.

Interesting stuff. Thanks. I think that's the way to go once I'm all ready. See if I can use some of my generation rather than exporting more than half of what I generate on to the grid.
Yes, definitely. If you add a battery system to store your excess solar produced during the day, you can then later charge your car from the battery.

This was my answer to Zappi problems from a similar thread, they are my experience

I found the Zappi (I had the type 1) over complicated, the new one more so. I had solar panels at my old house on the FIT deal with a power diverter to heat the water with the excess electricity.
For various reasons I found it easier and no more expensive to charge the car on the 5p octopus go cheap rate (this is to do with most days in the summer still having cloud and the zappi was on program to top up with power from the grid & other option of switching on and off as per cloud cover is unacceptable for charging EV). In winter the solar panels were rarely usable for charging.
My new house is not orientated to install solar panels effectively (although I am monitoring the costs) However I am looking at the home battery option, but am sure storage capacity is about to rise and costs plummet so am happy to wait (the comparative costs between a 6kw home battery system and a 76kw car battery just dont add up to me).
FYI, I installed a EO mini pro at the new house. I find it very user friendly and it has solar panel capability.

I know. That price too seemed more than what I'm comfortable with. As it stands I'm not even sure if my system is enough to power ev, I have a 1.4kw system. Wonder if to add mor panels to get enough to charge ev and if any goes to grid I can just collect payments through the Smart Export Guarantee. Don't have a clue how much they'll pay per kwh but doubt it'll be nything fantastic or near what they will they will usually charge for same kwh ha
Well with only 1.4kw of possible solar generation, I would looking to increase that as much as possible first before even thinking of home batteries, and once you have done that whatever generation you don’t use in the home you can send to the car for free.

The reason I say that is generated electric is for free ( of course there is the initial outlay to buy and fit the panels to do it but that also applies to home batteries ) they don’t come cheap, it’s great to have both if you can, but a home battery needs charging from somewhere, if that is coming from you solar system that’s fantastic, but if you have very small solar generation as you have 1.4kw then you need to charge the batteries from the grid, which I know can be done and with a time of use tariff I:e Octopus go, that’s reasonably cheap still as yet 12ppkwI think it is now, and I know some are still getting it cheaper than that at the moment, but in the last couple of months even they Octopus have had a couple of prices increases and you as the consumer have little if any control over electricity tariffs apart from switching and how long these time of use these tariffs will continue for or at what rate is anyone’s guess.

For me upgrade you solar system first as much as you possibly can.
Les.

This was my answer to Zappi problems from a similar thread, they are my experience

I found the Zappi (I had the type 1) over complicated, the new one more so. I had solar panels at my old house on the FIT deal with a power diverter to heat the water with the excess electricity.
For various reasons I found it easier and no more expensive to charge the car on the 5p octopus go cheap rate (this is to do with most days in the summer still having cloud and the zappi was on program to top up with power from the grid & other option of switching on and off as per cloud cover is unacceptable for charging EV). In winter the solar panels were rarely usable for charging.
My new house is not orientated to install solar panels effectively (although I am monitoring the costs) However I am looking at the home battery option, but am sure storage capacity is about to rise and costs plummet so am happy to wait (the comparative costs between a 6kw home battery system and a 76kw car battery just dont add up to me).
FYI, I installed a EO mini pro at the new house. I find it very user friendly and it has solar
That's really useful to know thanks. Not surprised they are rarely usable for charging in winter. I don't think my panels have generated anything in last week or so since I started to keep an eye on it for my soon changing circs ie EV ownership until 3kw today.
My initial shortlist were the Ohme and Podpoint but the forum seems to have convinced me about zappi and it seems to be the one that's most solar capable with its useful monitoring and functional app.
Can the EO mini. Deliver same as zappi?
I ws looking at ev tariffs as well. Octopus and OVO seem interesting especially OVO which allows flat rate anytime

That's really useful to know thanks. Not surprised they are rarely usable for charging in winter. I don't think my panels have generated anything in last week or so since I started to keep an eye on it for my soon changing circs ie EV ownership until 3kw today.
My initial shortlist were the Ohme and Podpoint but the forum seems to have convinced me about zappi and it seems to be the one that's most solar capable with its useful monitoring and functional app.
Can the EO mini. Deliver same as zappi?
I ws looking at ev tariffs as well. Octopus and OVO seem interesting especially OVO which allows flat rate anytime

Link to the newly released mini 3 EO Mini Pro 3 | Electric Car Charging at Home | EO Charging

Link to a detailed review of the previous mini 2

Also a good idea to give them a call with any queries.

In case it's useful to anyone else:
I've found that if I alter the time of the scheduled charge and save it (in the MG app) then everything works just fine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back